P2V+ Camera footage post processing...???

Reaction score
I'm a cinematographer and film editor, so post processing footage from high quality cameras is nothing new to me. I'm currently using a P2V+ for my aerial cinematography capturing for shoots. However, as everyone knows the camera on the P2V+ Is not the best when shooting 1080P compared to a gopro shooting the same resolution. I like how the stills turn out and how they are in RAW form, for better post editing, but the video footage just isn't up to par for high quality film making! So my question is, what are you guys doing that are using the P2V+ for aerial film making to make your footage look cleaner, take out the noise from the camera and perhaps some of the artifacting that's going on, etc...!???

Thanks!

-Clint

I've been told Adobe Premier is good for that. I plan to try it soon, for that very reason.
Where are you, Clint? I have a friend Clinton who is into cinematography.

Yes. I'm a premiere pro editor and I'm currently using red giant cinema looks filters and noise reduction, as well as 3-way color correction, but I'm still not full enthused by the results! Just wondering if someone else has figured out some tricks to making the P2V+ footage look cleaner and seemingly better resolution...???

Three things help quite a bit which I use in Adobe Premiere. (usually only need one!)
1) Easiest one - Antialias filter followed by light sharpen.
2) Magic Bullet looks - Diffusion filter, very good sometimes, again may need slight sharpen after, it's good to apply a grad to the sky too.
3) Neat Image noise reduction - needs tweaking manually to suit any problem areas, can work really well especially when you can only just see it was used.

When rendering try a final Gaussian blur filter set on 1 or 2.
Rendering is crucial, the V+ files vary a bit according to content, but are rarely over 13000 bitrate, so set the target at 13 or 14 and allow peaks up to 20.
I don't see any benefit from two passes so only do one, it takes long enough as it is even on a fast machine.
I started rendering a 3 minute one on my laptop and it estimated 7 hours :eek:
90 minutes on desktop though.

I use After Effects, Neat Video to reduce noise in video and Premiere Pro to upload to stock footage agencies, YouTube and Vimeo.
All my aerial footage is taken with a P2 using a GoPro 3+black and processed in GoPro Studio (free version) and exported in AVI to be processed in the above programs.

Cool! Thanks for some of the tips, guys! I use magic bullet looks! I'll try some of those different ideas out.

Hay DJIClint,
Check out the sw ProDrenslin at PRoDAD.com. This sw also provides for fisheye-correction specifically for the phantomlens.
This software is cheap and works great.
Regards FA

aartsf said:
Hay DJIClint,
Check out the sw ProDrenslin at PRoDAD.com. This sw also provides for fisheye-correction specifically for the phantomlens.
Regards FA

Thanks! I will indeed check it out...!

FWIW I'm certainly not in your league, DJIClint, but have you tried Photoshop CC, and bringing the video clip in as a Smart Object? Doing that allows you to use all of the tools and commands available in Photoshop for single images, including Adobe Camera RAW as a filter. It even contains a lens correction preset for GoPros and DJI cameras.

I would be interested in hearing yours and anyone else's comments regarding this approach.

It's rather a long process but I tried that concept using Lightroom on a short clip.
Import the clip as an image sequence, apply various tweaks to one frame and copy/paste to the rest.
Then export the sequence as if it were a timelapse.

I made quite extreme adjustments to show how much you can change it while testing - but it is an interesting technique.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I9Wixn--Ng

4wd said:
It's rather a long process but I tried that concept using Lightroom on a short clip.
Import the clip as an image sequence, apply various tweaks to one frame and copy/paste to the rest.
Then export the sequence as if it were a timelapse.

I made quite extreme adjustments to show how much you can change it while testing - but it is an interesting technique.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I9Wixn--Ng

Interesting, thanks for sharing 4wd. I think I might give it a try just for fun! Your image looked cool, pretty soft, but then that's better than the harsh looking footage that comes off of the P2V+.

don26812 said:
FWIW I'm certainly not in your league, DJIClint, but have you tried Photoshop CC, and bringing the video clip in as a Smart Object? Doing that allows you to use all of the tools and commands available in Photoshop for single images, including Adobe Camera RAW as a filter. It even contains a lens correction preset for GoPros and DJI cameras.
I would be interested in hearing yours and anyone else's comments regarding this approach.

I'm new to video editing and I also use Photoshop CC to adjust my P2V+ videos. I utilize the included DJI lens correction (which over-corrects a bit causing slight concavity to the horizon requiring some manual adjustment) as well as the Camera Raw filter and the sharpen filter (when needed).
I then use Movavi Video Suite to clip, rearrange, add fades, music, photos, etc.

And I use Lightroom for post-processing the photos taken from the quad's camera.

DJIClint said:
aartsf said:
Hay DJIClint,
Regards FA

Thanks! I will indeed check it out...!
DJIClint. I actually work for ProDRENALIN and can answer any questions you may have. ProDRENALIN can dome some basic stabilization and also remove the fisheye from your footage. Our flagship product Mercalli V4 is a pro-level utility that has a lot of tweakability in the stabilization plus Version 4 has added the ability to remove CMOS Jello from your footage....something other apps can't do. Here is a clip we got from Kitari ( a user here) where he was flying his Phantom FC40 over the school where he works. He has a Rollei 720p camera on board and he flies faster than most Phantom pilots. He even flips it at one point. He gave us permission to use his footage and I created this side by side showing what Mercalli is capable of. If you have questions about any of those utilities I would be glad to answer them.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYQn2QzRyx4[/youtube]

Frogman,

I trialed Mercalli SAL a year ago, and now use it on occasion as a plug-in to Corel VideoStudio Pro X7. V4 SAL looks interesting, and I am downloading a trial as we speak. (Unfortunately for some reason the download is getting interrupted, and not resuming automatically, something I've not seen before.) Question regarding the CMOS stabilization: any chance the analysis tool could report the type of vibration it's seeing in the image? I.e., left/right, up/down, frequency, etc.? Might be an interesting resource as we try to tune our P2+H3-3D's for jello-free operation.

Update: trial downloaded (after several download interrupts) and trying first sample now. Tutorials hanging up accessing your server. Maybe it's me, but maybe not.

Kelly

The analysis tool doesn't report what it found. It just tries to fix it. I'm still in the process of learning what different frequencies and wave length CMOS issues look like and how they are represented in your video. I have a connection from another forum from a few years ago that explained all that scientifically and I am trying to contact him to write a blog article for us explaining it as I think it would be a great thing to know. It would help me as well in tutorials to explain it exactly. I like to explain stuff in detail when possible.

I answered your PM and send you a Dropbox link to send me some footage.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik