P2V+ Battery fires?

Reaction score
I've been looking into the dangers of lipos and fires and there are some quite horific videos out there including the ineffectual bags/sacks from ebay.

The purpose of this thread is to establish within the community any history of fires (not other battery faults), indeed if any, anyone has had specifically with the P2 series batteries only.

While the dangers of this type of battery are well known it would be good to confirm or otherwise if its a myth for the P2 series and if their engineering has protection against fires. Any DJI staff out there with any input too?

I posted this also on the other P2 model forums here.

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

Re: P2V+ Battery fires

The danger has to do with the type of battery and whats inside it. If a lipo battery of any brand is dropped or damaged it can cause a fire.

Lithium paired with oxygen react together triggering a fire show

If you are concerned you can use a Lipo bag for a little added security. It will contain the fire if one is started while you are charging. I also keep my batteries in a metal box in my garage, outside in the summer in a shaded area.
LIPO-BAG-BIG_zps17099005.jpg

It's overkill I've never had a fire, but I would lose a lot if one broke out so I try to be safe.

I guess leaving it charge overnight is probably not a good idea. Makes me what to run home from and disconnect it from the charger.
Are there suggested best practices to decrease the chances of it happening? Charge it outside? Keep it out of hot areas (I'm thinking in the summer in the garage is probably a bad idea?).

DHut_PV+ said:
I guess leaving it charge overnight is probably not a good idea. Makes me what to run home from and disconnect it from the charger.
Are there suggested best practices to decrease the chances of it happening? Charge it outside? Keep it out of hot areas (I'm thinking in the summer in the garage is probably a bad idea?).

He probably figures better his shed goes up in flames than his house.

Supposedly your not supposed to leave them charging unattended at all.

Overnight charging would be on the forbidden list for me. I charge inside the house if I can be there to watch it. These batteries are not super sensitive to the heat, but I wouldn't let them bake in the sun either, if you live in a hot area. Same thing with the garage, if it's too hot in there look for other options. Maybe a laundry room or something like that.

Your title is misleading. There have been no posts of P2, P2V or P2V+ battery fires that I am aware of. I am not sure why you posted as such. If you want safety tips on charging lipos, that is fine but to imply that the Phantom 2 series has had fires is irresponsible.

Tahoe Ed: Get away! Its a genuine topic that others may find in a search that may be of interest. Nothing implied just a question asked! If that your attitude then we may all packup and ditch the sense of community that is found here. What are you like!

Yikes, alright then. I didn't think they were very different than normal rechargeable batteries. I'm glad you brought it up.
*edit*
Actually as I've been reading more about this, it seems like people need to just use a little extra caution with them. It looks like it's in a lot of different things from other RC machines (cars, planes, quads), to ipads, laptops, cars (Telsa)... Quite a few different electronics use it.

To me the biggest difference here is these batteries in a flying device are subjected to conditions that could cause real issues. People accidentally crashing from higher distances than for example dropping of the side of your desk. Also people flying it where there's moisture whether it's falls in a swamp, flying in rain/mist/flog all could make it more likely to have issues.

That being said, I'm going to go with the suggestion of not charging it over night and when I'm around and I'll probably end up doing it out in the garage until the summer months and then I'll consider doing it inside somewhere.

I think I've been used to leaving my rechargeable items on the charger until I end up using it whether it's in a few hours or a few weeks. I would also guess things like the ipad even if there was an issue there's a lack of oxygen to cause any sort of fire/explosion.

Still very interesting and to a degree scarey. haha. :shock:

I've seen a couple of posts from folks who have had battery fires with their P2V after landing in water.

I've seen an unattended RC car battery on a charger turn into a flame thrower (at least a three foot jet of flame). I thought a propane tank had gone off at first. Luckily there were a few people around and it was knocked down with a fire extinguisher. I'm sure the smoke was pretty toxic as well.

Hello all,

I'm a newbee here (and awaiting my P2V+) but not to R/C single rotary wing craft.

LiPo batteries are somewhat 'high-maintenance' (as I used to say about some ex-girlfriends :lol: ).

It seems as I read the posts here many Phantom pilots are first time R/C-ers as well as first time LiPo users.

I behooves one to at least do a quick Google search to learn how to properly care for their very expensive batteries.

In a nutshell:
These LiPos are 3S (or 3 cells in series) with a rating of 11.1 volts or 3.7/cell and 5.2 Ah

To optimize performance and life span, do not:
1) Discharge a LiPo, under load, to less than 3v/cell
2) Store a LiPo at minimum OR maximum charge i.e. 3v and 4.2v/cell respectively. As little as one week MAY cause damage.
3) Charge at a rate greater than is capacity rating. 5200 mAh or 5.2 amps in this case.
4) Charge without using balancing.

It seems based upon my research that the aircraft firmware will prevent #1 and the DJI supplied charger will prevent #3 & #4.

BTW- The ideal storage voltage is 3.8v/cell or 11.4.
Again I do not have one yet so I'm not sure how I'll manage this but I'll experiment to see if theLEDs can be used to determine this with the help of a DMM.

I hope this encourages some of you to look into this further as these batteries by virtue of their chemistry and power density can be dangerous.

Cheers!
R. William

OP here. Its 24 hours now after the original post so thank you everyone for the 20+ posts accross the 3 forums.

The purpose was to try to established if there was any history of fires in the P2 series batteries. Consensus is that that there have been none reported or known apart from those arising from unintended situations such as landing in water! Task accomplished.

On a side note there is also a good contribution from many on the care of Lipos in general which would obviously apply to the P2 series batteries as well.

Thanks everyone. Infinity and beyond...

best to charge it outside the house, away from any possible flamable items. Has a few cases of lipo among RC friends charging near curtain drapes in the house, on shelves near the TV..one guy, not only burnt his TV and the cabinet, but also his RC plane(2) and futaba remotes next to the TV...

I prefer not to take the risk..I try to mitigate the risk and charge it in a safe place outside my house (Porch area)

just sharing

I probably am overly paranoid. I ended up buying 2 bags, one for each of my batteries.
I'll do the same. Charge in the garage in a bag in a ceramic plant pot. I even called a local hobby shop that I've bought stuff from in the past. He basically said the same as what I read here and other places.
I showed my friend it and he somewhat laughed when I told him my thoughts. He said all his electric tools use them and he's never worried about it and he was saying the newer tools he has the batteries are about the same size.

Oh well

I believe your friend is referring to Lithium Ion batteries (Li-ion) not Lithium Polymer (LiPo).

Information regarding the various differences is readily available.

I really think your being a little paranoid. Everything has lipo batteries now. We plug them in all the time and don't worry about it.
Hell people plug their cars in now. If I remember a read where DJI teamed up with Telsa with these batteries.

Tahoe Ed said:
Your title is misleading. There have been no posts of P2, P2V or P2V+ battery fires that I am aware of. I am not sure why you posted as such. If you want safety tips on charging lipos, that is fine but to imply that the Phantom 2 series has had fires is irresponsible.
IRISHSIGHTS,
I have to agree with Tahoe Ed. As of today, NO ONE has posted anything negative regarding P2V+ batteries.
THAT SAID, LETS ALL BE CAREFUL OUT THERE.

Sorry guys, in hindsight an addition of a question mark at the end of the original subject line would have been better.

In addition to Safe Bags (used for storage - transport - charging batteries), I use this VENOM metal vented box for charging my batteries. It can hold 4 2700 mAh + parallel board inside at a time or 1 Vision / Vision+ battery.

a6732297-147-0672.jpg

Actually a very good thread....all thought the title may be alarming (not intentional) sometimes that is what it takes to address a potential subject that many of the forum users have little handling knowledge of these batteries. I AM ONE OF THEM!! That a thread or "Sticky" on proper battery usage, storage, charging and transportation. I raced for Team Losi R/C cars, trucks and Gas trucks for about 6 years when when I lived in California. As a team driver you have a variety of batteries to use, they are not cheap and required a lot of maintenance.

Don't use more than once a week
Don't over charge, we used heat probes with battery voltage determined maximum charge with the charger I used.
Always use a discharge rack for each cell with a .9 volt resistor
Pulse width technology for charging
Built my own matched cells
Store them in the fridge to keep them inert.

The list goes on......yes I have seen cells go up in smoke, they flame through the side vent like fireworks and then a small fire. Or since we ran all carbon fiber chassis, highly conductive I might add. If the shrink wrap wore out, and the pounding of a R/C flying across a bumpy track and catching 8 feet of air will do it. The batteries have shorted out on the carbon chassis and instant flames.

The Phantom is a different animal......the battery technology is as well, more advanced, larger capacity and it appears more sensitive. I don't know...... which makes this a good thread, I don't know the technology that well and you cant assume that just general information on LIPO fully applies. DJI has not much about there product design, engineering, application, limitations.... only that they use LIPO batteries. I would prefer not to "assume" as assumption is the "Mother of all F&@#-ups"

I would encourage DJI to speak up on there design, application of the LIPO technology and proper maintenance. Obviously to avoid catastrophic failures as fires. Lets apply the positive spin to this, how to get the maximum amount of performance from our batteries, cycles, run times as long as we can, they are not cheap to replace. If we apply the proper procedures to keep our batteries in good shape, catastrophic failures should not be an issue under proper usage.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik