P2 takes off by itself in manual mode

Reaction score
Hello all!

I had around 30 flights with my P2 since mid September when I bought it and didn't have any problem at all. Lately I had a crush, it went upside down all the way down from my balcony on the 4th floor because I crushed a prop to the wall and broke it. :roll:
The shell and the gimbal was damaged so I replaced both and made a quick try, phantom flew alright but I had no fpv, so I figured out I had to change the main control board because I saw that I burned a resistor (viewtopic.php?f=19&t=30556&p=279619&hilit=capacitor#p279591)

So I changed the main board and wanted to see if it was ready to fly so i decided i could give it a try in the house because it was dark outside. I turned the Phantom on in the manual mode and right when I armed it suddenly started ascending rapidly. I was real close so I managed to catch it before it reached the ceiling, I moved the throttle stick down to stop the motors but it didn't. so I had to power off the battery.
Next morning I ran an advanced calibration through the software and calibrated the compass outside the house and decided to give it another try with another fully charged battery.

This time I turned on the phantom on the driveway, calibrated the compass again, turned it on and waited for at least 6 satellites GPS, then the homelock, I saw the leds blinking green so the home point was set.
Only after that I armed the P2 and it suddenly took off and kept ascending (to about 20 meters I guess) and moved away no matter what I did with the remote. I tried to gain control over it by changing the mode to atti and manual after a while but I never had full control on it. Some how after a minute or so of slowly drifting, ascending and descending by its own it decided to harshly land about 10 meters away from the home point.
During all the time it was in the air I tried to get it near me and land but I have no idea about how much of an influence I had. It seemed like someone else with no experience had another remote and was controlling my drone.

When it landed I took off the propellers and turned it off and on to see how it acted in the manual mode. when in gps and atti mode the motors idle but when i change it to manual mode all four motors rev up to about 70-80 % speed and they won't slow down with the throttle command until I change back to atti or gps mode.

Any one having a similar issue or have any ideas on how I can fix it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

I have never flown in manual mode because of all the warnings and comments here that it is dangerous and very tricky unless you are an expert. What you describe is obviously aberrant behavior! though so curious to see if anyone else knows (or flies in manual mode).

Did you recalibrate the remote and the IMU?

Your motors will be at about 60%-70% throttle when the sticks are idle or centered unlike in GPS mode where when the sticks are at idle or centered, it hovers.

I tell everyone they should be flying a Hubsan X4 before stepping up to a phantom, $40 crash is a lot better and more affordable for me at least than over $1500. Get a hubsan and experience what manual mode is really like, it will also open your eyes on how quads work without all the fancy stuff. PLUS its super fun buzzing around the house scaring the cat!

Yes, I did recalibrate the remote and the IMU as well. Also today I downloaded the latest version of the software and recalibrated IMU and nothing changed unfortunately.
And I am not expert but am used to fly in manual mode actually

I have the Phantom 1 and S1 bottom position set to have manual. That's how I take off. After all lights are good, I flip S1 to manual and the quad shoots up quickly and I then go to GPS. It takes off much better for me this way as opposed to being in Gps and raising the throttle which is slower for the motors to spool up.

I am sure about my RTH and manual mode settings, but today I switched it back to phantom mode and try again in a while if I can control the drone.
I'll let you guys know the results.

That's manual mode if your bird is light she'll go up at center stick if your bird is heavy she'll go down at center stick you have to control everything unless you have a ratchet stick you will never be able to hover hands free .

750r said:
That's manual mode if your bird is light she'll go up at center stick if your bird is heavy she'll go down at center stick you have to control everything unless you have a ratchet stick you will never be able to hover hands free .

Yeah makes sense, you would surely expect to have to trim it out in Manual.
If your transmitter does support trimming then that would figure.

malibusteve70 said:
kyklop said:
And I am not expert but am used to fly in manual mode actually

Ok,well Hubsan x4

The hubsan x4 doesn't have a true manual mode. It is more like atti without the altitude hode capability. The true manual mode on the phantom is much more difficult to handle. Get a nano qx and put it in agility mode for practice.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers