P2 props on Antigravity motors problem

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a problem :)
I recently installed the Antigravity motors. I installed them according to the diagram that was enclosed in the box (see attachment). The nuts also screw on in the same direction as the motor is spinning. I just received my Phantom 2 props and wanted to give them a try only to find out that they screw on to the wrong motors.

What did I do wrong? I double and then triple checked if I had the right motor on the right arm and they are installed according to the attached diagram.

What should I do? Switch the motors and ignore the T-Motor diagram?

Has anyone installed these on their P1 and run into the same issue? Surely I am not the only one?

Thanks,
Serge

Attachments

• diagram.jpg
    diagram.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 2,451
The self-tightening props should screw on in the direction opposite of what they spin, not the same direction (CCW motor = screwing prop on CW). Sounds like you have all the motors in the opposite locations from where they should be. You can move them all, but it would be easier to just swap two of the wires going to the ESC on each motor.

You can change the spin direction of the motor by switching two of the wires coming out of the motor . . .

So, the three wires coming from the motor connect onto the ESC, if you swap around any two wires on each motor>ESC connection, they motors will spin the opposite way, and your props should work.

You will need to be sure the motors are spinning the correct direction that the naza is expecting it to, so depending on the threads, you may need to disconnect the motors and swap them around completely :(

The spin direction is not really the issue. It's the thread on the motors that is mixed up. Could T-motor really be wrong on their instructions? I guess I can just swap the motors.

All 4 of the T-motors can spin in any direction based on how you wire them...the only thing that designates them a certain type (CW/CCW) is the threads on them. So, not possible for the motors to have the "wrong threads" from the factory, but they can get mounted in the wrong locations so the thread/prop direction doesn't match the normal Phantom config (motor 1=CCW, 2=CW, etc).

When I say "wrong thread" I really mean that the motors actually have a CCW/CW label on them. I guess those are wrong. I guess I have more soldering to do :)

sjespers said:
When I say "wrong thread" I really mean that the motors actually have a CCW/CW label on them. I guess those are wrong. I guess I have more soldering to do :)

Oh, weird, mine didn't have any labels on them (got them a couple of months ago). Yeah, sounds like they have the labels on wrong. I might suggest adding bullet connectors when doing your resoldering, this may not be the last time you need to disconnect them.

There's always a lot of confusion about this because there is no "standard" nomenclature regarding how to refer to the way the motor shaft is threaded. Sometimes people will use "CCW" to mean a thread that *tightens* counter-clockwise, and sometimes to refer to a thread that *loosens* counter-clockwise.

The T-motor documentation is particularly confusing because it refers to the motors as CW/CCW based on how the props loosen/remove. (This makes absolutely no sense to me, but whatever.)

To get it right, orient the Phantom so that the battery door is facing you. The prop on the right side of the battery door should have a BLACK prop nut (CCW tightening). As you can see from the Phantom shell, that motor must be wired to rotate clockwise. From there, the diagonally opposite prop gets the same thread-type motor and the same wiring. The other two get wired for CCW rotation and will accept the silver (CW tightening) prop nuts.

So I won't say the documentation is "wrong" but it's certainly counterintuitive. :)

same problem I have here. Followed TMotors manual and after installing all motors and closed Phantom I couldn't believe they were correct according to the manual and Naza spinning directions but wrong about the threads.

There's another way to fix the problem without resoldering the wires. Just swap the bells...

Yep, I just got the T-Motors as well and had the exact same problem. To top it off, I didn't realize the problem and did a test flight in my shop and right after take off, the throttle seemed to stick on full throttle and it took off, unresponsive to throttling down.

Do you think this behavior is caused by these being opposite thread direction??

jezric said:
Yep, I just got the T-Motors as well and had the exact same problem. To top it off, I didn't realize the problem and did a test flight in my shop and right after take off, the throttle seemed to stick on full throttle and it took off, unresponsive to throttling down.

Do you think this behavior is caused by these being opposite thread direction??

The reversed threads directions would just make the props self-loosening during flight...

The T-Motors (at least the ones I got) have the same thread as the original Phantom motors (2 of them CW and 2 of them CCW), and the stock self tightening props DO fit the thread, however the way the instructions say to install the motors you end up with self loosening threads, so once I swap the motors to the opposite positions than they are now, they will actually be the same as the stock motors.

BTW, I initially did put on keyed carbon fiber props with the nuts, but as stated previously, the nuts self loosened after running for a few seconds.

Anyone heard of this throttle issue I noted??

Cr8tive_leo said:
T-motor motors do not use the self tightening props.
You have to change your props.

Woah don't go spreading that one around bud. That is false information and then some! It is true for most T-motors but not the 2214 Anti Gravities of a certain date....

The original Anti Gravities (Pre Aug 2013) had CW prop nut threads but the v2 (Post Aug 2013) are threaded identical to the Phantom v1.1.1, P2, P2V stock motors.

However.... it has come to light that T-motors have sent a batch out with the labels (and prop nut stampings) the wrong way round. I discovered this myself (video below) and had it confirmed from my T-Motor supplier.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjS3TME-vRM[/youtube]

EDIT - Added this video too:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH6GhhWxomk[/youtube]

If fitted according to the T-motor instructions and using props with integreated prop nuts the worst that will happen is you simply won't lift off the ground (as the blades are pushing the Phantom downward).

The worst effect though is if you are using non integrated props (and hence using the prop nuts) as you can still fit them (albeit reversed) and it will take off and fly without problem.... however ALL of your prop nuts are spinning in a way that, should they come loose, the motor will spin them clean off the thread. Before directional threads this could only happen on two of them.

@Jezric - just posted on your other thread on this as I think you are suffering a different problem which involves your Phantom going into failsafe due to the sticks being out of calibration. The NAZA is set to go to fail safe if the sticks are not null (as in not being moved), throttle is on and nothing happens for 10 secs. If you have well calibrated sticks then there is no issue but if they are out the NAZA might not see your sticks as being 'Null' and hence after 10 secs it will ascend to 25m on the hope it will fly home.... which it won't cause your ceiling will get in the way! :lol: - this also happens on non stock TX's when people have adjusted their trim settings without knowing it (and hence leaving the sticks does not = Null).

Thanks for the post @DeweyAXD.

So, turns out it was the props I had put on (and perhaps calibration). I got a set of high efficiency 9" carbon fiber props on ebay and this is what I initially used when it seemed to fly out of control.

Well, got it all back together, the motors swapped to the right positions (contrary to the T-motor instructions, as pointed out :)) and the stock props (self tightening and yes they do fit the T-Motors) and the phantom is flying fine now (after an adv calibration). So, I again, tried the new CF props and sure enough the thing shot up seemingly out of control (good thing I had it on a tether this time).

So... Is there something I need to do to adjust for these new 9" CF props?

Thanks!

I just had the same issue with not lifting off on top of one of stock self tightening props getting stuck on the new motor. Is there a good way to fit the stock props from a phantom one to the 2214's without having them so tight?

Update:
After 2 attempts at getting everything correctly in place and a short test flight, all is well. Thanks for the video and information, would have been staring at them still without that. The only real complaint besides the instruction sheet, is how much paint is applied to the threads of the motor shafts. I had to remove the paint to get my stock blades to screw down and not get thoroughly stuck on the shaft. Flat blade screwdriver and cannon plug pliers was the only way I could get one off!!

Dewey... did you ever get your issue with the T motors fixed?

I had the same issue...

I’ve wired and re wired the motors in almost every configuration possible. I tried what you said to do, but the quadcopter then just tips over...

I’ve used Tmotors props, stock DJI props, vision props… nothing works.

It either wants to fly downward, or wobbles out of control.

I’ve checked in the NASA software and all motors are installed correctly.

Any help you can give would be great!!

Thanks

My latest setup gets me off the ground, then turns into a wobble mess... and crashes.

Motors are spinning in the opposite direction to the diagram on both the T Motors instructions and the Phantom shell stickers.

Please help... Thanks!

i just signed up for the forums as i've just completed installing the antigravity motors (a brand new set i received from dronefly.com) and as of this week, the motor kit ships with absolutely incorrect instructions.

i very carefully read, re-read, and re-checked my motor placement per their instructions (which were complete with very clear (also wrong) pictures.)

the instructions plainly say to have the battery door facing away from you, looking at the phantom from above, and say, plain as day, that the front-right motor should be CW, and the bottom right CCW, etc.

as soon as i started putting the shell on, i noticed that this was counter to the markings on the shell. at that point i looked up this thread, and decided to test anyway as it seems there is a lot of confusion.

sure enough, the motors were pushing the phantom down. opened her up, rewired them all, and now all is well.

that's a pretty serious error for a company to make, imho. won't be buying from t-motor again!

i just signed up for the forums as i've just completed installing the antigravity motors (a brand new set i received from dronefly.com) and as of this week, the motor kit ships with absolutely incorrect instructions...
that's a pretty serious error for a company to make, imho. won't be buying from t-motor again!

Welcome to the forum darkenergymedia. Do you film coal mines, or Nuke plants?

Sounds like when folks get ready to install new motors, they should look at the NAZA assistant instead of the instructions. Thanks for sharing. Here's something for you.

This is a great way to find things. Google Custom Search for our forum.
Enter your text in the middle of the screen, not at the top.
https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl?cx=014775389315664725445:ejku2ysgyhi

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers