P2 (non-vision) H3-2D and GoPro App

Reaction score
I have had a problem repeat itself twice in the past week. I follow all P2 pre-flight guidelines for GPS flight, and set my home point at the beginning of each flight. All firmware updates are installed, and compass is configured. I have been using the G0Pro App with my Droid Razr Maxx to turn on and off the camera, and preview the shots. I have had no problems using it in video mode, but in video mode I rarely turn the camera on and off. Both issues manifested themselves while in Photo mode. The app lets you preview the photo you are about to take and lets you direct the camera to take a picture. On two separate occasions immediately after pressing the photo button, all control is lost, and the P2 has headed for home. The first time I let it land itself just because I wanted to see if it would do it. The second time I took control after it had steadied itself above the home point and landed it myself. Is this a known problem with the GoPro app? If it is, will the same thing happen with the remote supplied with the Hero 3+ Black. Anyone else having these issues?

Please stop flying, download and read the manual for the Phantom 2 and look for this paragraph:

PHANTOM 2 uses a 2.4GHz RC system. To avoid communication interference, it’s not recommended to use other 2.4GHz devices (including 2.4G wifi or 2.4G wireless video transmission module) except the 2.4G Bluetooth and 2.4G Datalink.

Thank you for the advice, I did read the manual, but that sentence must have evaded me. Then how do you use the GoPro? Does the small remote that comes with the camera use the same frequency?

ISP5557 said:
Thank you for the advice, I did read the manual, but that sentence must have evaded me. Then how do you use the GoPro? Does the small remote that comes with the camera use the same frequency?

Make sure the WiFi is turned OFF on the GoPro.
You start the GoPro recording manually while the Phantom is on the ground. You stop it after you land.
And just to cover all bases, make sure the motors on the Phantom are OFF when starting and stopping the GoPro. :D

ISP5557 said:

I would guess so, as the Gopro remote is paired to the camera using the camera's wifi, which is 2.4Ghz

Stu

Phantasmic said:
ISP5557 said:
So you can not take still images with the GoPro on the Phantom?

Yes, you can take still images with the GoPro on the Phantom.

Have you read your GoPro's manual so you understand the various modes?

Well of course you CAN take still images, but not remotely without WiFi or using the self timer. So for taking pictures with the GoPro on the Phantom 2 without using time lapse or self timer, you have to use WiFi (USE AT YOUR OWN RISK - BE AWARE) or come up with some other mechanical button pushing solution.

Phantasmic said:
neil64 said:
So for taking pictures with the GoPro on the Phantom 2 without using time lapse or self timer, you have to use WiFi (USE AT YOUR OWN RISK - BE AWARE) or come up with some other mechanical button pushing solution.

You can also take photos simultaneously while shooting video with a GoPro.

Aren't manuals great?

Well yeah, of course the manual is great. It would be foolish for anyone to even bother posting here without first reading the manual. I mentioned that taking images with time-lapse is an option. That is still not remotely triggered image capture.

I'm not calling the OP foolish, but that the OP felt the need to post here for those answers to his/her questions is a bit foolish, since all of that information is indeed covered in the manuals and numerous places throughout this and other websites. I'm not meaning to offend anyone. This OP actually seems to be one of the more intelligent posts around here, even if the actual question is a bit on the foolish side, he is very politely asking his questions and it sounds like he just really isn't sure and so asking more experienced people seems to be the best thing to do. After all, that is what forums like theses are for, but clearly too many people feel the need to ask questions instead of just looking for answers. However, this is not the place for such a discussion, so lets get this thread back on topic.

Thank you OP for using some grammar and punctuation. I think we basically covered all you need to know about how you can get stills from in the air. For details on how to use these GoPro modes, etc, check out the manual -----> GoPro Hero 3 Black Manual (PDF). I wouldn't recommend using the GoPro WiFi while flying, but depending on your signal strength, interference, distance, etc, It can be done.

Thank you to all who have replied. Yes I should have read the manual(s) more carefully, but I thought I would consult with people who have the UAV/camera set up, and get real life answers from people who have been there, and done that. Isn't that what these forums are for? If I wasted your time I am sorry. In my job there are manuals that contain page after page of instruction written by people who have never done the job. I prefer to consult with people who "do it" rather than those that "Write about it". I guess there truly are dumb questions asked.

The worry for existing flyers is that as more eager newbies join, the number of casual (read 'careless') flyers will grow. One day, someone will crash into a person or property in a way that could result in restrictions on flying all round.

DJI on its part has greatly made flying easy but that ease comes with a price.

I hope existing flyers will seed an atmosphere of good etiquette and care so that we can all enjoy this fun hobby!

ISP5557 said:
Thank you to all who have replied. Yes I should have read the manual(s) more carefully, but I thought I would consult with people who have the UAV/camera set up, and get real life answers from people who have been there, and done that. Isn't that what these forums are for? If I wasted your time I am sorry. In my job there are manuals that contain page after page of instruction written by people who have never done the job. I prefer to consult with people who "do it" rather than those that "Write about it". I guess there truly are dumb questions asked.

Most of us here would like to save you from losing your investment in a "flyaway". While you may feel the manual is prepared by writers and not flyers, the manual actually contains useful information. Granted the poor English and improper punctuation makes reading difficult. Not understanding the basics of the radio operation of a radio controlled model before flying is your choice. However, if you do skim through the manual watch for these icons. Even in Chin-English a couple are important.

Attachments

• Labels.jpg
    Labels.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 343

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20