P2 - just crashed it.. GPS issue!

Reaction score
Hi all,

New P2 pilot... flown about 5 flights without any issues, but about 20 mins ago...

Descending from around 300 feet, I thought, I know.. I'll spiral down instead of straight down.
So with "nearly" full down on left stick I also did a full yaw, then proceeded to go back on the right stick... CSC kicked in and turned the motors off!
I must have gone down to 100% "down" on the left stick as well.

My poor baby plummeted... I did CSC again and tried to go to full power, too late.. it smacked into the short grass upside down on the flat..

Broke 3 props and the battery popped out - no other external damage. It fell from around 150 feet!

Post crash assessment - no damage to the case only 3 busted props (broke at the centre - snapping off a blade in each case).
100% pilot error.

Plugged it into the PC - IMU shows no issues and does not need calibration.
Changed all 4 props and going to do a test flight hover... now I'm unable to get a GPS lock.

Hovers and flies fine in Atti mode though..

There nothing rattling inside, could I have mashed the GPS unit ?

How can I tell ?

I have a single green and 2 flashing red during the GPS lock phase.. and that's all that happens.
It does flash rapid green as it locks "home" though...

What could have gone wrong ? :oops:

Upate: Reverted the flying mode to "Phantom" (from Naza-M) and have a yellow flashing light when looking for GPS...

Open it up and take the gpS receiver off the top section. Examine the ceramic antenna for cracks. If it's cracked it's toast.
You can either replace the unit as a whole or just solder on a replacement antenna. The replacement antennas are really cheap.

I don't have a link for the replacements but someone else on here has done it and posted a link. Maybe you can find it.

rilot said:
Open it up and take the gpS receiver off the top section. Examine the ceramic antenna for cracks. If it's cracked it's toast.
You can either replace the unit as a whole or just solder on a replacement antenna. The replacement antennas are really cheap.

I don't have a link for the replacements but someone else on here has done it and posted a link. Maybe you can find it.

Thanks for the reply.. I've had the lid off and I can see the sticky plastic pad has some impression marks from the NAZA autopilot as the lid had been compressed slightly onto it.

Ok, anyone know of a supplier for the patch antenna here in the UK ?

25 x25 x2mm thick..

It's a smashed GPs antenna.... why so flimsy!!!

It's the only thing on the top side of the GPS module.

Once you remove the module you can't miss it.

Well, the guys at Digikey have come up with the goods and my GPS antenna has arrived.

It came with the little pin already in. Easy to fit, peeled off the sticky back.. placed it correctly and a dab of solder on the back.

GPS is now working fine - test flight tomorrow weather permitting, it's 100% drizzle right now.

Lesson learned.. avoid turning off the rotors in flight with the double stick command! :oops:

Great news!

Thanks for the update.

I guess we'll get at least one more after you fly it :?:

Well, it's been raining the last few days.. today it's mostly clear.

Took the P2 for a test drive - 10 mph winds (gusts) maybe.
Bit anxious waiting for a GPS fix, it's not been able to see satellites for a while and the gps ephemeris data is out of date.

After around 5 minutes a solid GPS lock and perfect flight.. not even the tiniest glitch (V 3.04) .

Thanks to Digikey and the speedy delivery on the GPS antenna!!

Thanks TY...

Alright then, case closed.

'Chalk one up' for the good guy(s)!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj