P2+ inverts upon takeoff

Reaction score
Fourth flight. Upon applying power adequate to lift off, copter immediately inverts (rolls over) onto its back. Not a pretty site. Had blinking green lights prior to applying power. Props very slightly knicked on leading edges as inversion was onto a loose rock driveway. Any ideas on what caused this ? It was my second flight of the day. Could compass calibration problem cause this ?

Are you sure you didn't hit the right stick?

If you're sure... Did you notice anything odd in the speed of the motors?

No compass calibration has nothing to do with this.
The compass is all about 2D flight - not crazy acrobatics.

Did you baby it up or push it hard to lift off?
Flipping on liftoff may be a propulsion system issue - not all motors giving the power they should.
If you power it up and idle - can you see any difference in prop speeds? ... and if you rev it a bit?

ExtraKim said:
To little power during lift off, always do quick take offs.

Yeah this could be. Tipped my Vision Plus and FC40 on their maiden flights because of this x)

Thanks for all of your responses.
I had my hand off of the right stick. I will try a quicker lift-off though even from a level surface as soon as I add power it begins to tilt hard to the front. It does seem to me to be an unequal power issue. Tried using back right stick to counter but could not control it. Could flipping it over the first time have cause some damage to the rear motors ? They hit the hardest. I turned it off as quick as I was able.

Are you using the stock props? Almost sounds like you're getting uneven lift which could be caused by mismatched props. Say for example you've got a stiffer set on the front vs the back. Something you might inadvertently do if you would have crashed, broken a pair, and just replaced the broken ones with some cheapie knockoff XOXOXO props you picked up.

Other than that, try weighing the phantom's landing skids down so it can't take off and throttle it up and look for some weird vibrations and listen to see if the motors all sound about the same.

How does it fly if you do a gradual take off vs a full throttle one like you seem to be describing. Personally, I don't do fast take offs because I want to get it about 10' off the ground and let it hover for a bit to make sure everything looks and sounds right before I actually let it loose.

if the motors are damaged you will notice once its in the air as it wont fly properly, might be best to put a leash on it until you know for sure. :D

Using stock props. Going to put on new set and try this all again in the grass. Good idea about weighing it down and running it up. AS for takeoff speed, I have only been flying this craft for two days but all of my gradual takeoff have worked out fine. I, too, like the low hover. Good to get my mind set.

Just gun it full trottle and once its in the air, let go a give it a second or two to settle. Happened to me too.

ecodrone said:
Using stock props. Going to put on new set and try this all again in the grass. Good idea about weighing it down and running it up. AS for takeoff speed, I have only been flying this craft for two days but all of my gradual takeoff have worked out fine. I, too, like the low hover. Good to get my mind set.

IMO taking off from the grass is actually less stable... I always try to take off from a flat hard surface.

Just do what folks have mentioned... Get it off the ground quickly and out of ground effect at 5 or so feet up as soon as possible.

Good luck :)

Always - FULL THROTTLE on takeoff, get it to six or eight feet and then execute your flight plan.

It might be a misunderstanding. But I think we all let it hover around 10 feet for a while after take off. When we say full throttle, we don't mean fly off. We mean full throttle just to get it in the air :)

I've NEVER had any issues with doing gradual takeoffs with mine. That's the way I always do it. Maybe mine's a weird one that can take off stable without having to gun it.

To the OP, ecofrone, check your frame configuration in the flight assistant software. There are two quad configurations for a quad, "X" config and "+" config. If you have inadvertently set the Phantom to the "+" config it will exhibit the symptoms you are describing.

Regards

Nidge

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 300
quick take off vote from me too, same with heli's if you ever fly those? in 'ground effect' it isn't going to sit all still and level without a lot of correcting inputs on the right stick and even then you will be correcting the quads movement rather than finding a sweet spot.

How does it fly if you do a gradual take off vs a full throttle one like you seem to be describing. Personally, I don't do fast take offs because I want to get it about 10' off the ground and let it hover for a bit to make sure everything looks and sounds right before I actually let it loose.[/quote]

Even an initial 10' ceiling and stop, probably should begin with a full or nearly full throttle :idea: Just my personal experience talking here.

Nidge said:
To the OP, ecofrone, check your frame configuration in the flight assistant software. There are two quad configurations for a quad, "X" config and "+" config. If you have inadvertently set the Phantom to the "+" config it will exhibit the symptoms you are describing.

Regards

Nidge

Did'nt think the Phantom Naza will allow that. :?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20