P2 H43D First Flight

Reaction score
Phantom 2 H4-3D Hero 4 Black 4K - First Flight. Excuse the constant "popping" of the gimbal but I zip tied the gopro to the gimbal to make things easier when I switch the Hero from device to device. Things went well, no issues. I did get a little nervous when the battery was dying and it RTH enabled, I thought I was going through the dreaded "fly away" haha

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Phantom 2 H4-3D Hero 4 Black 4K - First Flight. Excuse the constant "popping" of the gimbal but I zip tied the gopro to the gimbal to make things easier when I switch the Hero from device to device. Things went well, no issues. I did get a little nervous when the battery was dying and it RTH enabled, I thought I was going through the dreaded "fly away" haha

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That constant tilting of the gimbal is going to damage the motor. I would suggest you replace that zip tie with the screw on bracket that came with the gimbal or use a rubber band. There are also 3D printed snap on brackets available.
Gopro Zenmuse Bracket by Boarz on Shapeways

That constant tilting of the gimbal is going to damage the motor. I would suggest you replace that zip tie with the screw on bracket that came with the gimbal or use a rubber band. There are also 3D printed snap on brackets available.
Gopro Zenmuse Bracket by Boarz on Shapeways

Thank you, it was actually because I forgot to clip the zip tie (I think) I mean what else would cause that? Ive seen numerous professional people use this zip tie trick.

Any other comments, good or bad are encouraged. This was my first flight ever!

Thank you, it was actually because I forgot to clip the zip tie (I think) I mean what else would cause that? Ive seen numerous professional people use this zip tie trick.

Any other comments, good or bad are encouraged. This was my first flight ever!

I seriously doubt that. Now we have used zip tie on the gimbals mounting brackets instead of the plastic clips but not around the camera.

Ill reference where I saw it, hang on..[/QUOTE

A simple rubber band makes more sense then a zip tie to secure the camera. I gave you a link for a quick release camera bracket and it works.

They are not referring to the camera but how to use zip ties instead of the plastic clips to hold the gimbals mounting brackets from coming apart in case of a hard landing or crash. I use them on mine as in these photos.
IMG_0017.jpg
IMG_0018.jpg

There's also a quick release holding the camera to the gimbal.

Don't how this happened but I'll post it again.

A simple rubber band makes more sense then a zip tie to secure the camera. I gave you a link for a quick release camera bracket and it works.

They are not referring to the camera but how to use zip ties instead of the plastic clips to hold the gimbals mounting brackets from coming apart in case of a hard landing or crash. I use them on mine as in these photos.
img_0017-jpg.41053
img_0018-jpg.41054

Don't how this happened but I'll post it again.

img_0017-jpg.41053
img_0018-jpg.41054

Gotcha. Thanks for the info. This is all new to me. I can tell you this, I had a blast for those 10-12m yesterday. Can anyone tell me what was actually happening with the motor on the gimbal and why? I was rarely touching the gimbal control while flying but did notice it only would adjust up and down.

Gotcha. Thanks for the info. This is all new to me. I can tell you this, I had a blast for those 10-12m yesterday. Can anyone tell me what was actually happening with the motor on the gimbal and why? I was rarely touching the gimbal control while flying but did notice it only would adjust up and down.

Well if you were indeed using a zip tie to hold the camera onto the gimbal it was interfering with the gimbals operations causing it flip to the side.

Last edited:
Well if you were indeed using a zip tie to hold the camera onto the gimbal it was interfering with the gimbals operations causing it flip to the side.

Jason is correct.
The zip ties connecting 'square' bit interferes with the gimbal movement. If you leave the 'square' connecting bit at the top or bottom, it will hit when tilting up/down. Use a high tech rubber band instead.

If you are going to get the 3D printed clip on, look for a bright colour. The bright colour is a good reminder. Don't use the supplied bracket as it becomes a pain to remove if you use your gopro for other activities.

Jason is correct.
The zip ties connecting 'square' bit interferes with the gimbal movement. If you leave the 'square' connecting bit at the top or bottom, it will hit when tilting up/down. Use a high tech rubber band instead.

If you are going to get the 3D printed clip on, look for a bright colour. The bright colour is a good reminder. Don't use the supplied bracket as it becomes a pain to remove if you use your gopro for other activities.
Well that's just it. I couldn't imagine the idea of going through all that to remove it after a 12m flight to bring it back to the racecar. I will look into a rubber band. I like the idea of that. Thank you.

Any other critiques about my flight guys?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31