P2 H3-2D vibration "shuddering" issue

Reaction score
I have a problem that you may be able to help me pin down the cause of.

I'm getting slight (but very noticeable) vibration in my video. It increases with the airspeed of the unit, but is often present while hovering. It is NOT the normal yawing of the plane which the 3D is supposed to address, it's tiny vibrations that I can't see FPV but which appear when I replay video @ 2.7K/30 fps.

I have replaced all four engines & props & even shell in an effort to fix this; balanced everything, etc.

Can this have to do with the gain settings in the Assistant software? I haven't changed them from stock because it was, until about a month ago, rock steady.

Anyone else have this issue?

Incorrect gain settings can cause vibration however most of the time I would expect to be able to see it. From what you are saying it's not something you are actually seeing in the P2, just in the Video? You could try adjusting the gain settins 1% at a time and see if you see any improvement.

Is your Zenmuse mount ok? Just check that all the rubber spacers are seated properly. I replaced my drop pins with tie-wraps (after losing a couple) and initially they were too tight which transferred vibration to the cam.... maybe just worth checking everything is free and easy.

I've heard them called micro-bounces and supposedly the H3-3D does not have these. Sounds like you've changed all the usually suspects. I found when running the latest firmware 3 they were pretty bad. Reverting back to 1.08 made them bearable.

After further investigation, here's what I've come up with (with recap):

I've been having an ongoing issue with vibration in my videos for the past 8 weeks or so which has steadily gotten worse and worse. What is happening I get lateral motion/vibration when the quad is facing forward into the wind which ruins all video I shoot flying forward & backward. When I fly sideways, however, there is minimal/no vibration (same thing when held sideways in the wind yesterday; see below).

To try to fix this, I changed props with new ones carefully checked for balance (twice), tried different vibration damping balls/separators, and I even replaced all four motors, all with no improvement whatsoever. The quad flies beautifully.

So yesterday I tried an experiment. I rode in the bed of a pickup truck @ 25 mph and held the P2 up in the wind to see what would happen. Lo and behold, the mount vibrated exactly like when I'm flying (or rather what I see in my video footage) with the motors off.

I could see the very fast side-to-side motion/vibration being caused by the oncoming wind. It's not, as I first suspected, related to the slight yaw motion many people experience and have purchased the H3-3D's to fix. It seems to be a loosening of the GoPro holder (where it plugs in on the gimbal).

As far as I can tell there are no adjustments on the mount itself to tighten things up to stop this.

Any suggestions are more than welcome.

P.S. This did not always happen. When first purchased and installed, the gimbal did nothing like this.

Sounds like simple aerodynamics. The flat surface of the GoPro is being pushed into the wind and will cause some buffeting. Having said that, I personally do not see much difference in vibration between forward and sideways movements. I am still on version 1.08 of the firmware. I've found that riding the wind in ATTI mode works to reduce unintended yaw.

I had occasional shuddering in my video and found that I had lost one of the pins that joins the two parts of the mount (that go through the dampeners). Replacing it eliminated the shuddering.

When a 2nd pin came unscrewed and fell out (but was not lost), I placed a small drop of super glue on each one to prevent further loss.

I appreciate the suggestion, but that can't be it. I've been flying without those pins for months and this problem started well into that habit.

Given everything I've done above (engine replacements, etc) I have gotten the problem almost under control but it's still popping up at the worst times, usually in the middle of my best shots (done at speed, of course).

Maybe this will help to demonstrate my problem:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaANif6wt-E[/youtube]

Anyone else get this before?

Mine isn't as pronounced as yours but seems similar. P2 w/ H3-2D. Very slight side to side vibrations that make the video look jerky, definitely not smooth.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNqR0tCmUJ4[/youtube]

Re: P2 H3-2D vibration "shuddering" issue

First, great flying, awesome video.

Second, thanks for the bump. My problem is getting worse and I'm getting nowhere trying to fix it, so today I'm biting the bullet. I've been on hold with DJI for 40 minutes now trying to get some help...will update once they reply.

maybe it's me, but it seems a lot of people are experiencing these kind of vibrations lately.

I've seen a few videos where you could see the physical vibrations occurring while their Phantom's are merely hovering.
it's almost like something of a harmonic vibration thingy, where a tiny vibration amplifies more and more and then he whole craft starts shaking. - and nobody knows quite how to fix it.

Are you flying with a stock P2? any other accessories attached?

have the same problem, never had nothing like this even with POS G3 gimbal, it was shaking the camera sometimes, once, or twice, but this is really bad, i can't use the video with this, how to fix this?

P2 with Zenmuse 2D, iosd mini, and Fatshark 250 mw transmitter attached to bottom (front to back) with cloverleaf antenna with plastic cover removed to minimize wind resistance.

I'm going to shoot a video with my phone today while idling to see if I can catch it vibrating before I send it off to DJI for God knows how long.

I have found quite the opposite. I get the better footage, and less yaw, when I fly in GPS mode.

ianwood said:
Sounds like simple aerodynamics. The flat surface of the GoPro is being pushed into the wind and will cause some buffeting. Having said that, I personally do not see much difference in vibration between forward and sideways movements. I am still on version 1.08 of the firmware. I've found that riding the wind in ATTI mode works to reduce unintended yaw.

adanac said:
I have found quite the opposite. I get the better footage, and less yaw, when I fly in GPS mode

Do you have any examples?

In GPS mode I experienced more yaw jitter because the Phantom was constantly trying to maintain position and heading which resulted in both yaw and roll corrections which contribute to yaw jitters.

In ATTI mode the Phantom is not trying to maintain position nor heading and is free to drift with the wind. That has yielded much smoother video when I was not using any gimbal to the time that I used a 2D gimbal.

Fixed it.

I crashed a couple months ago and bent the Zenmuse top bracket, and didn't want to pay $75 to replace it. The $20 plastic mount I used instead started to fail, and let's just say I eliminated any other factors before finally deciding to fork over the cash for the real DJI mount.

Here's the thing: I also replaced the vibration dampeners, which many people tell me can wear out somehow and exhibit this shuddering.

Regardless, now it is gone, and she flies and records fine again.

I will be posting the smoother video from today shortly.

If anyone ever needs help with a similar problem, I'll be glad to provide the knowledge I gained from this experience. PM me any time.

I shot the video below a couple days ago - all in GPS mode. I don't know how this compares to the average user but it's very little yaw for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEG62qF15mk

Do you have any examples?

In GPS mode I experienced more yaw jitter because the Phantom was constantly trying to maintain position and heading which resulted in both yaw and roll corrections which contribute to yaw jitters.

In ATTI mode the Phantom is not trying to maintain position nor heading and is free to drift with the wind. That has yielded much smoother video when I was not using any gimbal to the time that I used a 2D gimbal.[/quote]

Update: it is not totally fixed, just much improved. :-(

I had to review recorded video to determine this, but it is still a problem. While it only seems to happen in high air speeds (either windy days or flying fast), I'm getting unusable footage regardless.

Now my decision is whether or not to send my gimbal to DJI for an indeterminate amount of time in the hopes they will take the time to recreate this issue and somehow fix it (new gimbal, please, DJI).

It's looking like less and less of an choice if I want to film on anything but dead still days, which are rare here in South Florida.

Wind_Shear said:
I have a problem that you may be able to help me pin down the cause of.

I'm getting slight (but very noticeable) vibration in my video. It increases with the airspeed of the unit, but is often present while hovering. It is NOT the normal yawing of the plane which the 3D is supposed to address, it's tiny vibrations that I can't see FPV but which appear when I replay video @ 2.7K/30 fps.

I have replaced all four engines & props & even shell in an effort to fix this; balanced everything, etc.

Can this have to do with the gain settings in the Assistant software? I haven't changed them from stock because it was, until about a month ago, rock steady.

Anyone else have this issue?
not sure if your already doing this or not. But if you power the gopro3 on last after powering up the phantom 2 it will cause a conflict with the gimbal motors causing it to shutter for a couple seconds every 30-40 sec apart.
Power gopro on first then phantom.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers