P1 with better video

Reaction score
I have 3 P1s. One is set up with a Walkera G2D gimbal and GoPro white camera. The gimbal was purchased in March of 2014. I have always had problems with jitters in the video at times. Wind makes it worse. I have tightened the rubbers...loosened them..and everything in between. The camera is balanced in gimbal. Props are balanced. Today I finally tried shielding the camera/gimbal from wind by taping paper across the sides and back of landing skids. Front and bottom are still open. It was a little windy today but I think the video is a bit better. Still has some jitters but not bad. What do you think? It may not get any better except in perfectly still air and that almost never happens. I forgot to put my lens hood on as you can see.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Paper on quad blocking camera and gimbal

Attachments

• 5-10-2016 skids covered with paper to protect camera from wind.jpg
    5-10-2016 skids covered with paper to protect camera from wind.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 386
I’m not sure you gotta wind problem? Here’s some video with wind problems -
It was blowing very hard that day and in one or two places you can see how severe the P1 tilted just to hover. You can't even hear the prop wash over the wind in most places.

In places it starts to jitter/bounce because the gimbal is bumping into it’s physical limitation.

Do you have programming software for the Walkera? I have cheap eBay gimbal and thankfully never had to doing any programming as of yet.

I think the panels you have on the gear legs is acting like a sail, but that is just an observation on my part.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I’m not sure you gotta wind problem? Here’s some video with wind problems -
It was blowing very hard that day and in one or two places you can see how severe the P1 tilted just to hover. You can't even hear the prop wash over the wind in most places.

In places it starts to jitter/bounce because the gimbal is bumping into it’s physical limitation.

Do you have programming software for the Walkera? I have cheap eBay gimbal and thankfully never had to doing any programming as of yet.
I don't have any software for the Walkera

I think the panels you have on the gear legs is acting like a sail, but that is just an observation on my part.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
They could be in strong wind but I try to only fly when it's fairly calm.. It could be calm on the ground but you never know exactly what it's like up above. It was a test. I think the gimbal being plastic flexes a bit.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
Here’s Syma quad sporting the Walkera G2D gimbal and YI camera.

Couple places I noticed jitter/shudder but nothing like yours which is almost a constant “hunting” for position.

I don’t believe you have a wind problem. Seems like something else. Good luck…

Here’s Syma quad sporting the Walkera G2D gimbal and YI camera.

Couple places I noticed jitter/shudder but nothing like yours which is almost a constant “hunting” for position.

I don’t believe you have a wind problem. Seems like something else. Good luck…
On my video, the slower side to side movements I believe are the quad trying to hold position. I'm talking about the quick side to side jitters. The video you posted had the same thing. Maybe that's as good as it gets with this gimbal. I think the turbulent air around the camera is doing that.

Here's one I shot two days ago with an oops at the end. Notice some parts are very smooth and most of the jitter is when up higher as can be heard on the sound track. Now flying around trees has its own problems with air currents going everywhere. At the end I came down fast and I'm sure I was having a little VRS going on.

I'm thinking some of my problems is the 2 axis gimbal. So I bit the bullet and ordered the Walkera G3D gimbal. Aluminum construction rather than plastic. You can really feel the difference . It will cut flight time down by a bit but if the video is better, its worth it . It's 60 grams heavier and about $100 more. I'll let you know how it works out. Got it today plus another Turnigy 4000 ma flight battery.

I'm thinking some of my problems is the 2 axis gimbal. So I bit the bullet and ordered the Walkera G3D gimbal. Aluminum construction rather than plastic. You can really feel the difference . It will cut flight time down by a bit but if the video is better, its worth it . It's 60 grams heavier and about $100 more. I'll let you know how it works out. Got it today plus another Turnigy 4000 ma flight battery.
This is my first flight with the Walkera 3 axis gimbal.. I still have some jitters at times. I tossed it around a bit to see how the gimbal would react. As you can see yawing must be done slowly or the legs can get in the shot. The slow flying and hovers seem ok. Just can't expect all footage to be usable. That's what editing is for. I need to play with it more and may need to adjust power and gain controls. I took off all the paper on the legs also. It was a bit windy upstairs.

Did another flight today after some rain but it started again after I took off but I flew anyway. This is with the new G3D Walkera gimbal. This video seems to have the least amount of jitter yet. Seemed somewhat smooth.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.