P1, Upgraded receiver and TX, won't work now

Reaction score
Ok, so I wanted to upgrade the TX for my P1. It had the old school, non-spring return TX with the old single antenna RX.

Went on Ebay, bought a DJ6 TX with a new dual antenna RX.
Plugged everything in, light brown wire on the servo cables going closest to the antennas on the RX board.
The cable closest to the antennas is plugged into the X1 port on the Naza with the brown wire facing up and the other plug goes to X1.

On first power up I got the blinking green light on the RX. Cool, just bind the TX to it. I held down the little button until it blinked red, turned the TX on with the throttle pushed down and BAM, red light stops blinking and stays off. I power cycle the TX and phantom, then turn off the TX just to make sure that the red light on the RX comes on like it should, which it does, and shuts off when I turn the TX back on.

Here's my problem. The phantom starts up with it's normal didely didely ding, blinks green 4 times then goes into the crazy fast orange blink mode that says that it doesn't have a connection with the TX. TX however IS ON, the red light on the RX is off, but the lights are still flashing orange.

I open Assistant program to see if there's any movement on the sliders and nothing. Phantom is running the latest firmware available for the 1.0, but I still get nothing.

I plug the USB into the TX and fire up RC assistant. Everything shows up there, firmware updated to the latest, everything calibrated, running Mode 2, everything looks good.

So what could be the problem? All symptoms pointed to an RX that was receiving a signal, but wasn't talking to the NAZA. So I got a hold of the seller, who really wants to make this right, and he sent me a brand new RX. Still got the same problem.

So now I'm thinking something might be wonky with the TX instead. I've updated the firmware in it, it now has a green LED instead of a red one, but here's the kicker.

When I turn the TX on, I get 3 fast beeps. I tried to see if this was a weird thing or not, and every youtube clip I saw of people flying FC40s and P2s, their TXs only make one beep when they turn them on. I can't find anything about the number of beeps the TX makes online. Anybody here know what 3 beeps mean?

Three fast beeps from the TX... doesn't this indicate it's in CE mode for the 5.8Ghz version or something?
Do you have a little "pot" on the back marked CE or FCC? If so that's the 5.8Ghz tx.

Here's the binding procedure:
1.Power off the remote controller, power on the aircraft. You will see the link indicator blinking red.
2.Press the link button with a thin object and hold until the link indicator blinks yellow.Release the link button.
3.Power on the remote controller and the link indicator should switch off. This indicates that the link has been successfully established.

Check the RC page of the Naza Assistant SW and make sure DBus is selected instead of PPM.

Alright, let's see.

The transmitter and receiver are 2.4GHz. The board inside says so, as well as the RC assistant software confirms that. The controller itself is a DJ6. Not sure if they made 5.8GHz ones like that or not. But mine for sure is a 2.4.

Binding isn't the problem. I can get it to bind just fine. Proven by the receiver's light turning off when the transmitter is switched on. So the receiver is picking up the transmitter.

Naza receiver type was switched over to dbus from ppm. I made sure of that. It shows that on the main page of the assistant software.

I don't know what the hell is going on with this thing. Nobody seems to be able to tell me what three beeps mean, and I can't find an answer to that ANYWHERE.

Green_Phantom said:
Alright, let's see.

The transmitter and receiver are 2.4GHz. The board inside says so, as well as the RC assistant software confirms that. The controller itself is a DJ6. Not sure if they made 5.8GHz ones like that or not. But mine for sure is a 2.4.

Binding isn't the problem. I can get it to bind just fine. Proven by the receiver's light turning off when the transmitter is switched on. So the receiver is picking up the transmitter.

Naza receiver type was switched over to dbus from ppm. I made sure of that. It shows that on the main page of the assistant software.

I don't know what the hell is going on with this thing. Nobody seems to be able to tell me what three beeps mean, and I can't find an answer to that ANYWHERE.

Hi, I'm the guy who has put you through this little taste of hell and I am so very sorry. Your replacement dj6 left Reno yesterday so... it could be there sooner then we think.

Your testing and hours of attempting to get it to work I wish I could replace. Your patience and understanding of the issue is great.

What I think has happened is the Circuit board has failed. (I re-read the first post and see that a Firmware update was done and the light changed from Red to Green see below for my thoughts). I do a pretty good testing and turn everyone one, check in software that everything works as it should, that mode 2 is set.. Gimbal travels from 1000 to 1000 smoothly!! I examine for any issues and I look at the light when I turn them on. I am so looking forward to getting the broken one back and seeing if I can figure out what has happened.

Since I love Phantom Pilots and the ability to find and resolve issues here is the testing I have done. A DJ6 when turned on, does not matter if a bird is connected or not, makes no sound. The light is typically a reddish color (weird how the red and green lights sometime are like orange or blue).

The only way I coud get a DJ6 to make 3 beeps.. and that is one intense beep then two quick beeps for a total of 3, is if I attempt a manual calibration by putting both sticks all the way UP and turning on the DJ6. The beeping just keeps beeping until the sticks are released. But even with being able to create those 3 beeps through the above method after releasing the sticks the beeps stop.

Hopefully the replacement will work perfectly and we will just be left with that little bald spot from scratching our collective heads (at least for me!!)

I just re-read the first post and I had missed this part " I've updated the firmware in it, it now has a green LED instead of a red one" If I had an understanding of that I might have suggested undoing the software update as it did have the latest and greatest firmware on it. Also after extensive testing I am going to recommend you do not hold down the throttle stick. A DJ6 does bind when the stick is held down, but it binds without holding down the stick, so lets leave that step out. my bad. I did tell you to hold down the stick in my instructions I included and I will be correcting that. I have sold about 45 DJ6 to Phantom V1.x owners and this is the first problem I have had. It is my problem, the customer has tried their best and only wanted to fly their quad with a little better control and I sent the poor person through repair hell. I betcha this person can R and R the receiver in under 2 minutes, can probably identify all the wires that go to the MC. etc..

The process is turn power up the quad, red light in battery compartment
Turn on DJ6. red light in battery compartment should start to blink green
hold down button on receiver in battery compartment. after a few seconds it should blink red just a couple times then go off!
Pull both sticks down and to the center and the motors will start.

I just did the above process on 2 different Phantoms and 6 different DJ6's

(I got my fingers crossed!!)
Craig

The above reply is exactly why I have no bad feelings about any of the stuff that's been going on. Craig is an awesome guy to deal with and I highly recommend him for any of you that might be looking at replacing stuff on your Phantoms.

In the RC assistant software everything still shows up the way it should. All sticks move, the gimbal slider moves all the way (unless doing the calibration, then it only goes 80 to 200 or something like that). It's set for Mode 2 as well.

As far as updating the firmware in the controller, I didn't attempt to do that until I was having the initial problems of the transmitter seemingly not talking to the receiver.

I've also been trying to find a way to downgrade the firmware of the transmitter, but have come up empty handed on that one as well. This is why I love it when things have to be done manually. I love manual control over stuff. :)

Green_Phantom said:
When I turn the TX on, I get 3 fast beeps. I tried to see if this was a weird thing or not, and every youtube clip I saw of people flying FC40s and P2s, their TXs only make one beep when they turn them on. I can't find anything about the number of beeps the TX makes online. Anybody here know what 3 beeps mean?
I don't know if anyone has read my thread, but I'm having the EXACT same thing. Green LED instead of red and beeping 3 fast beeps. My box says CE on the back but it is a 2.4Ghz transmitter. I could be on drugs but I think the firmware said for the newer transmitters.
I'm nervous about flying my P2 now. I think it had something to do with the firmware upgrade. I used all of the correct software from DJI. I picked the 1.0.1.24 firmware in the menu. I think the newest and the greatest is 1.0.1.12. I tried to reset everything to factory defaults so I can load the correct firmware, but nothing resets.

By the way... Will somebody PM me to give me Craig's business? From the sounds of it, he's out to help his customers! When I need help..... I want help.
TNX

As promised, Craig sent me a new DJ6 transmitter and everything's working great. Not upgrading anything firmware wise because everything works. I really appreciate this guy bending over backwards to make this right. I hope he can figure out what happened with the other transmitter I got and posts back with his findings here.

The internet needs more sellers like him.

Crank, if you just hit the PM button under Wedeliver's screen name, you can shoot him a message. I don't have a personal email for him, since all our back and forth conversations have been though ebay's messaging system.

His ebay stuff can be found here though:
http://www.ebay.com/usr/wedelivermore?_ ... 2749.l2754

Thanks Green_Phantom. I appreciate this.

Green_Phantom said:
As promised, Craig sent me a new DJ6 transmitter and everything's working great. Not upgrading anything firmware wise because everything works. I really appreciate this guy bending over backwards to make this right. I hope he can figure out what happened with the other transmitter I got and posts back with his findings here.

The internet needs more sellers like him.

Crank, if you just hit the PM button under Wedeliver's screen name, you can shoot him a message. I don't have a personal email for him, since all our back and forth conversations have been though ebay's messaging system.

His ebay stuff can be found here though:
http://www.ebay.com/usr/wedelivermore?_ ... 2749.l2754

Hi, I just got the DJ6 back and I plugged a battery into a Phantom, got a red light on the receiver, turned on the DJ6 and the light in the Battery compartment started to blink green. I pressed it for a couple seconds and then it went out. I csc the sticks and the motors fired right up.
I think the instructions where I told you to hold a stick down messed things up. Either way, it seems to work great. I did check it the DJI Naza M Software and everything is ok, except the U and X2 sticks have a limit of 780 to 780 instead of 1000 to 1000. The X1 (gimbal lever) is 1000 to 1000.

I did see that the firmware showed an upgrade in the DJI RC Assistant V1.1 software to 1.0.1.24 and now the DJ6 LED is green and the transmitter beeps when turned on.

In the end, I am much better versed on the DJ6 RC Transmitter that I sell both alone and as a kit with the 2 Antenna Receiver that it goes with.

Just to make sure that the binding process is clear, allow me to again post what I have found to be the best method to bind a DJ6 with a Phantom.

I do want to address the binding process. I gave incorrect instructions in the past and I wish to correct that. There is no need to either press a button while powering on or hold down any sticks. The process is so very simple and I promise this works as I have tested it on 25 DJ6 units and it works without fail. I used 5 different Phantom V1.x models with the Part 31 Receiver that I also sale as a kit with the dj6.

ASSUMING YOU HAVE REMOVED YOUR PROPELLERS!!
Here is the correct method to bind, no matter what version of firmware.
1. Plug in battery with battery out of quad, the light wiill come on solid red on the receiver in the battery compartment.
2. Turn on DJ6. The led in the battery compartment will begin to blink green.
3. Hold down (or up really) press the button next to the led on the receiver until the light blinks red once or twice, 2 or 3 seconds, then let go.
YOU ARE NOW BOUND TO THE QUADCOPTER. CSC THE STICKS AND THE MOTORS WILL START.. NO PROPS, RIGHT?

Of course it is a good idea to check your software settings after doing the firmware upgrade, IMU, failsafe, Return to Home and any limits might need to be reset.

Wait, so when you turned the transmitter on you didn't get 3 beeps and a a green light? Because that's what it was doing right before I boxed it up and sent it out.

The firmware should also have been updated to 1.0.1.24 already according to the RC assistant software I had it hooked up to here. Unless DJI came out with a revised version of that one since quite a few people were having similar issues.

I don't know. All I know is that the 2nd transmitter I got works great.

BTW, How'd you like the chili powder?

Green_Phantom said:
Wait, so when you turned the transmitter on you didn't get 3 beeps and a a green light? Because that's what it was doing right before I boxed it up and sent it out.

The firmware should also have been updated to 1.0.1.24 already according to the RC assistant software I had it hooked up to here. Unless DJI came out with a revised version of that one since quite a few people were having similar issues.

I don't know. All I know is that the 2nd transmitter I got works great.

BTW, How'd you like the chili powder?

Oops, I was not clear. The receiver is inside the Phantom and that is what I was referring to.
The DJ6 Transmitter had a green LED and beeped 3 times and was updated as you did the work perfectly. It did bind right away. The issues you had I attribute that to my instructions telling you to hold the throttle stick down while turning on the Transmitter. It had not been a problem before and everyone else that I had sold had worked, but yours was, perhaps more sensitive and holding the stick interfered with the binding process. I blame those instructions for all the problems you had and I am so very sorry. But I did get some Chili powder in the end and that is a real treat. (tried just a little on a mexican omelet I had this morning. Yummy! Now I am trying to plan a dinner that does not have turkey, although my wife says we can put it on Turkey so...) Thank you so very much!
Happy flying!
Craig
ps. I hope you can use 2 pair 8" props. coming to you first class in tomorrows mail.

I am having a similar problem. I just bought the new 5.8 ghz TX with the gimbal wheel. Here is what I've done so far: I power on the copter, see the blinking yellow lights, coupled with the blinking red button. I press the button and it turns orange. I turn on my TX and the lights on the copter go from blinking yellow, to a solid red. Almost like while in the pairing process, it decides not to, and just goes solid red. Any suggestions?

adbuggs said:
I am having a similar problem. I just bought the new 5.8 ghz TX with the gimbal wheel. Here is what I've done so far: I power on the copter, see the blinking yellow lights, coupled with the blinking red button. I press the button and it turns orange. I turn on my TX and the lights on the copter go from blinking yellow, to a solid red. Almost like while in the pairing process, it decides not to, and just goes solid red. Any suggestions?

What version Phantom do you have. This thread is about Phantom Version that use the 2.4GHz for Radio Control. Sorry but I don't recall the lights on the Vision or Vision plus, nor the FC40 which all use the 5.8GHz for Radio Control.

adbuggs said:
Hook it up to a computer and run the Phantom Assistant software. See what it says.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic