P1.5: new cheaper 5200mah batteries coming soon?

Reaction score
For the few folks who have gone to the lengths of HGT’s dual-battery-in-shell mod for the Phantom, or the Phantom 2 bottom shell transplant for the bigger battery bay, we may have a new source of viable 3S2P 5000+mah batteries that fit the ~110x55x35mm shell dimensions. Up until now, you either had to stick in two 2200-2700mah with a parallel harness, or make your own packs. A few one-off production batteries (Thunderpower 5400mah) do exist, but at $120+, they're twice the cost of building your own. I’ve been making my own 4400mah and 5400mah packs for the last few months, and while it’s not rocket science, I’d welcome a cheap, non-DIY source that’s a bit less risk to my fingers, workbench, and house. 

Now, it seems this parallel format is getting a potential boost. There are some upcoming quads that use this peculiar format in a 5200mah capacity, and even better they use a “standard” heat shrink packaging, you’ll just need to swap the connector to an XT60. What’s more, the prices are really attractive—they list from $45-70 each, which is essentially the price you’d pay for two 2600mah packs. These “Pro-Z-14” packs don’t seem to be widely in stock yet, but they’re starting to pop up on random rc sites so I thought I'd give the compulsive early adopters like myself a heads up.

The listed specs vary pretty drastically. Seems nobody really knows what’s up with these, but the dimensions and weights suggest we’re looking at 16+mah/g packs, which puts them right in line with the Phantom 2’s incredible smart battery. Based mainly on this, I took a gamble and ordered a couple. I've been waiting for high-rate lipos to hit the market.

I ordered mine from www.rctoysshop.com and www.oomodel.com, both HK/china shops of…er…unknown repute (i got two to double the chances that one would actually make it to me). They should be in within a week or two, and I’ll run a full battery of tests against my 3S2P 4400s and 5400s. 

5200mah 3S2P (pro-z-14):

Weight: 319g or 330g (claims differ)

Discharge: 10, 15C or 20C (claims differ)

dimensions: 105x44x33

My financial advisor has strongly recommended that I avoid this forum and you and Dewey in particular :D

Between the magic in the P2 batt (which I guess will have an even higher true density if it could be weighed w/o the cage etc) and the teaser stats for the upcoming Yuneec platform (one of the ones you referred to?), it seemed like something tasty was on the horizon.

Is it possible the ThunderPower 5400 is an early release of this same new "stuff"? Either way I'm anxious to see your test results.

OI Photography said:
My financial advisor has strongly recommended that I avoid this forum and you and Dewey in particular :D

Between the magic in the P2 batt (which I guess will have an even higher true density if it could be weighed w/o the cage etc) and the teaser stats for the upcoming Yuneec platform (one of the ones you referred to?), it seemed like something tasty was on the horizon.

Is it possible the ThunderPower 5400 is an early release of this same new "stuff"? Either way I'm anxious to see your test results.

Hobby quad engineering is really on an exponential growth curve. 20 minutes was amazing 4 months ago, now people are shooting for 40+ min production multis.

I don't think the thunderpowers and maddogs are in the same league as the phantom 2 batteries. The former are examples of great customization/optimization for a given form factor. The P2 battery looks like an actual advancement in battery chemistry (359g with cage, ~320g cells only). That is *lighter* than my 4400s, which is really saying something. And if you look on hobbyking, most 5000mah batteries weigh over 450g. I'm betting by fall of this year we'll see true 2800mah the same size/weight of today's 2200s. But if these 2p packs work out, we won't need to double them up for Phantom 1.5s.

My financial advisor has strongly recommended that I avoid this forum and you and Dewey in particular

:lol: Can I keep them on side with something 3D printed maybe?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4