P1.1 + iOSD + PMU V2 and now adding H3 2D- Questions

Reaction score
I curently have a P1.1, I've recently installed a mini iOSD with a Naza PMU V2.

I have immersion 600mw VTX connected to a GP3 black that is outside the Phantom.

I am just waiting for the delivery of a Zenmuse H3 2D.

I would like to check with the people that has a similar setup what is the best way to add the Zenmuse.

I will have inside the Phantom 3 "black boxes": PMU, iOSD, Zenmuse GCU.

I think I am clear on the installation:
- GCU need a power feed (most likely I will take it from one ESC)
- GCU will be connected to iOSD throguh CAN BUS.
- CGU video out and ground is going to iOSD video in and ground
- iOSD video out and ground is going to VTX (as it is already, no need to touch that)

Questions:
- Could somebody check my connections above and point out any issue.
- I underestand Phantom board is useless once you have a PMU, can I take anything out to decrease weight?
- I am worried about not being able to close the shell.
- Any suggestion

M

Your connections look to be correct.
You are also correct that once you've added the PMU, the Phantom board essentially becomes a power distribution board and a mount for sticking the Naza on.

rilot said:
Your connections look to be correct.
You are also correct that once you've added the PMU, the Phantom board essentially becomes a power distribution board and a mount for sticking the Naza on.

Thanks Rilot.

I guess It does not mean that I can take the board off ?. I am looking for saving some weight. Do you have a similar setup?, would the shell close with all that staff on it. I've forgot to mention that I am using an aftermarket TX that has many wires from TX to Naza.

Mine closes, and I have all that you have. Just don't use a bunch of zip ties....you want the wires loose, so you can feed them in, and move them around, when closing up the shell. It's looks a mess-but it's functional.
There is nothing you can remove to save weight. And, you're looking at right around 5:30 flight time with a stock battery, and an additional 2 minutes on top of that, with a maddog 2700mah battery.
Prop guards will cost you 1 minute...so don't use them unless you are new......

havasuphoto said:
Mine closes, and I have all that you have. Just don't use a bunch of zip ties....you want the wires loose, so you can feed them in, and move them around, when closing up the shell. It's looks a mess-but it's functional.
There is nothing you can remove to save weight. And, you're looking at right around 5:30 flight time with a stock battery, and an additional 2 minutes on top of that, with a maddog 2700mah battery.

Thanks, that is good to know that someone has closed the shell already. Flight times are quite small. I guess P2 propellers could help a bit as well.

Colombus said:
havasuphoto said:

Thanks, that is good to know that someone has closed the shell already. Flight times are quite small. I guess P2 propellers could help a bit as well.
Yes-and there are already some threads about that.
But, stick with the stock props until you've got some flights under your belt.

Colombus said:

I have the exact set up you're talking about and yes your wiring sounds correct. I'll forwarn you it's tight. Re: PMU - you can only ditch that if you replace your board with upgrade board (as per your version) The newer units come with the upgrade board which I think Ol Photog was refering to. Either way you're going to enjoy it.

EMCSQUAR said:
Colombus said:

I have the exact set up you're talking about and yes your wiring sounds correct. I'll forwarn you it's tight. Re: PMU - you can only ditch that if you replace your board with upgrade board (as per your version) The newer units come with the upgrade board which I think Ol Photog was refering to. Either way you're going to enjoy it.

Correct, I should have clarified, it'll require the upgrade board to do that hack.

Here's what I meant by "tight"

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    177.9 KB · Views: 406
My Zenmuse arrived just today. I've started to open the shell but I am feeling already overhelm with all the wires and staff that I will have to fit into it.

I swear that if I managed to fit all that electronics inside and close it I will never open the shell again, unless I am moving all the guts to P2 shell.

By the way, how important is to do update the FW of the GCU ?

Colombus said:
My Zenmuse arrived just today. I've started to open the shell but I am feeling already overhelm with all the wires and staff that I will have to fit into it.

I swear that if I managed to fit all that electronics inside and close it I will never open the shell again, unless I am moving all the guts to P2 shell.

Know the feeling well. First time opening was a little intimidating, but now I've had mine open so many times I'm considering hinges... Re: FW - I'd do it since you have it open.

On a note about transfer to P2 shell - it's not any bigger for components - just a bigger battery opening (and maybe a slight area to tuck wires in front & side of board) I just did the conversion and did it for the option of using either the P2 battery or duals.

Colombus said:

Don't!!! Just make sure you have the Gimbal turned to ON, in Naza-M. You can plug your micro-usb cable into the GCU, and open the Gimbal software-that will tell you what versions you have.
1.40 allows very smooth tilts, tilts past horizontal, up to about 30 degree's nose up-which is good to protect the lens when landing. However-the Gimbal will enter hibernation mode while your flying, just whenever it feels like it. This only lasts about 5 seconds then it returns to normal.
1.60 changed to a maximum of only level with the horizon, no more nose up, the start and stop of the tilt was very fast and jerky. However, the Gimbal no longer went to sleep whenever it felt the need.(an improvement)
1.80 is the current version. The start/stop of the tilt is much, much smoother. However, there is still no speed adjustment, and most feel it tilts way too fast, and would prefer the slower tilting of version 1.40.

So-updating the firmware is "at your own risk". See what you have first.....and, I believe you have to update firmware directly into the GCU(opening the shell and plugging a micro-USB cable into it). But, I may be wrong-as some of the newer versions have a CANBUS port outside the aircraft, and everything is wired through that.

havasuphoto said:
Colombus said:

Don't!!! Just make sure you have the Gimbal turned to ON, in Naza-M. You can plug your micro-usb cable into the GCU, and open the Gimbal software-that will tell you what versions you have.
1.40 allows very smooth tilts, tilts past horizontal, up to about 30 degree's nose up-which is good to protect the lens when landing. However-the Gimbal will enter hibernation mode while your flying, just whenever it feels like it. This only lasts about 5 seconds then it returns to normal.
1.60 changed to a maximum of only level with the horizon, no more nose up, the start and stop of the tilt was very fast and jerky. However, the Gimbal no longer went to sleep whenever it felt the need.(an improvement)
1.80 is the current version. The start/stop of the tilt is much, much smoother. However, there is still no speed adjustment, and most feel it tilts way too fast, and would prefer the slower tilting of version 1.40.

So-updating the firmware is "at your own risk". See what you have first.....and, I believe you have to update firmware directly into the GCU(opening the shell and plugging a micro-USB cable into it). But, I may be wrong-as some of the newer versions have a CANBUS port outside the aircraft, and everything is wired through that.

Thank you Havasuphoto for the heads up on the FW. Yes I am actually installing the Zenmuse so I will have access to all the components, including iOSD which by the way I will upgrade FW as well. I guess I will first check what is the version that the GCU is coming with and then I will decide what to do. Would you say that I should stick with 1.4 then.

Cheers,

I would stick with 1.4.
Also-the latest upgrade to the iOSD adds a flashing voltage warning for 1st level low voltage(the numbers flash), and also Azimuth. It's OK to do upgrade this.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20