Overcoming the Stigma of Drones

Reaction score
I'm new to drones although I have been flying R/C airplanes for over 30 years. When did drones get such a nasty stigma attached to them?

I started flying in solitude lately just to get away from the nasty looks of people who ignorantly think that my SOLE purpose for buying a $1500 drone is to spy on them. It's getting tiring. At least with my airplane club we have a designated flying area and nobody trolls us.

I wish more of the public was educated on the capabilities of these things. I suspect too many people think these things have super-zoom lenses of something. I just want to fly in peace. Solutions? S.O.L?

Spy or not they do allow imaging people, things, places from a perspective their not used to. Add to that they don't know who is imaging them and being flown in places I'd bet you'd never fly your model planes now or in the past.
I've put cameras on my fixed wing and CP-helis in the past but never flown them in the ways or places these 'anyone can fly' aircraft are by some.

If traditional model aircraft were flown similarly they'd of had the same stigma then that MRs do now.

Reactions: JetLife
As NO17RW has noted, it's a primary sensory issue with a lot of people that fear that which they don't understand. There a literally thousands of MRs that are hitting the skies everyday ranging from your supermarket RTF units right up to the high end packages that many of us here are flying and trying to be responsible with. I live in a tiny community with the only Phantom type quad for probably 30 klms and when I first flew, had the community talking about it. They soon figured out who the owner was and I literally was asked not to fly in certain areas due to the type of 'ahem' crops that were being grown in the countryside.
From humble beginnings, I get requests from people to see my footage and have produced short videos for individuals including posting up aerial footage promoting the area for tourists on our community website. Drinking beer with most of them also helps I guess.....

The only reason that traditional RC planes are still around is because they have a limited range and can only be flying in designed places that they can take off or land. Drones in the other hands can reach miles in range, have camera on it, can also flight in very limited space where traditional helicopters can't and can take off or land anywhere. This technology is here to stay and I think it will get even better in the years ahead.

My experience has been all good so far - much to my astonishment. Most people have been very curious, I take the time to explain what I'm doing and what the capabilities of the drone are. I think It does come down to the "unknown", people seem to be surprised that there is no zoom, etc.

When I do fly in a public place, I make sure I'm far out and avoid flying over anyone at any height - it helps to make it very clear you're not trying to "spy" on anyone.

Reactions: JetLife and macoman
When I do fly in a public place, I make sure I'm far out and avoid flying over anyone at any height - it helps to make it very clear you're not trying to "spy" on anyone.

That's how I am as well... I really hate to fly over people. The far away from civilization the better.

As NO17RW has noted, it's a primary sensory issue with a lot of people that fear that which they don't understand. There a literally thousands of MRs that are hitting the skies everyday ranging from your supermarket RTF units right up to the high end packages that many of us here are flying and trying to be responsible with. I live in a tiny community with the only Phantom type quad for probably 30 klms and when I first flew, had the community talking about it. They soon figured out who the owner was and I literally was asked not to fly in certain areas due to the type of 'ahem' crops that were being grown in the countryside.
From humble beginnings, I get requests from people to see my footage and have produced short videos for individuals including posting up aerial footage promoting the area for tourists on our community website. Drinking beer with most of them also helps I guess.....

Great perspective. Thanks. I live in a small mountain community so people are always looking for something new to talk about. I think there are A LOT of "Farmers" in my area as well.

It's 2017. I just assume I am on camera everywhere once I leave my house. People need to lighten up. Half of the folks concerned about "spies"; share their whole life in pictures on Facebook. I don''t get the logic.

Last edited:
Reactions: ifly2high and tevek
Great perspective. Thanks. I live in a small mountain community so people are always looking for something new to talk about. I think there are A LOT of "Farmers" in my area as well.

It's 2017. I just assume I am on camera everywhere once I leave my house. People need to lighten up. Half of the folks concerned about "spies"; share their whole life in pictures on Facebook. I don''t get the logic.
I forgot about the FB 'pour your guts out' perspective and that my sister reminded me that Coles monitor your smartphones when you shop there. Probably explains the great chicken and stroganoff deals I missed out on when next I log onto phantompilots.com or FB. Good point.

The only reason that traditional RC planes are still around is because they have a limited range and can only be flying in designed places that they can take off or land.

What???

I can't see ever quitting flying my fixed wing aircraft until I'm incapable physically. Might I guess you never have?

The issues of [radio] range you speak of are limited by the same issues that limit electric MRs.
Nitro based fixed-wing flight time can be significantly greater than current elec. tech. and greater payloads are possible. The main advantages of MRs is they can be easily flown out-of-the-box without training or practice and possibly the most significant is hovering or loitering.

Reactions: macoman
I like flying at night. Not as many people out, it's cooler, and it's a lot easier to see the Phantom (with STROBONs, etc).

Anyway, this will all go away as UAV's become just another part of daily lives. I can imagine how hated the automobile was when they first started getting popular: Cars were loud, driven by people who have no idea what they're doing, and always crashing into something. Now... :) Think about it.

Reactions: JetLife
I like flying at night. Not as many people out, it's cooler, and it's a lot easier to see the Phantom (with STROBONs, etc).

Anyway, this will all go away as UAV's become just another part of daily lives. I can imagine how hated the automobile was when they first started getting popular: Cars were loud, driven by people who have no idea what they're doing, and always crashing into something. Now... :) Think about it.
I like night flying as well for the same reasons. But, even that is getting ruined lately. I usually fly with the red lights off just to keep A**holes with laser pointers of of me. It's really bad in my area. A lot of Marijuana farmers so everyone is paranoid of drones.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4