over head helicopter flights

Reaction score
I have thought about this for a bit now. But just now I heard a copter approaching . I open my garage /shop door and watched a chopper fly directly over head at maybe 3-400 feet ( I am being generous). I think this area is on a flight path for medical birds.

I literally just flew my plus and p2 testing the new 3.12 about an hour ago EXACTLY where he flew , I was about 40-50 m at most and flight path area was same basically

Should I just ignore or maybe get in touch with the local med evac folks and chat. We have 3 phantoms flying in this same area and these guys are definitely in "our" 400 foot area..

call them on it, and after the laughter stops at the other end of the phone just hang up and try to figure out how to recover the time you just wasted.

I would say have a chat now.

It would really be a shame if you were "forced" to have a chat later.

I had a helicopter hovering around 100ft near my house recently. It then landed in the park in the next street. Good thing I wasn't flying at that exact moment.

kirk2579 said:
I have thought about this for a bit now. But just now I heard a copter approaching . I open my garage /shop door and watched a chopper fly directly over head at maybe 3-400 feet ( I am being generous). I think this area is on a flight path for medical birds.

I literally just flew my plus and p2 testing the new 3.12 about an hour ago EXACTLY where he flew , I was about 40-50 m at most and flight path area was same basically

Should I just ignore or maybe get in touch with the local med evac folks and chat. We have 3 phantoms flying in this same area and these guys are definitely in "our" 400 foot area..

Unless it's an Apache, you will hear a chopper coming a mile away.
When I hear choppers, I land immediately.

Good thing.

In my area, above the lake Apaches and Chinooks are allowed to fly as low as they want, without ANY navigation lights. Scared the hell out of me when I flew 60feet above the lake one moonlit night. And indeed, an Apache is very quite, even when it's right above you, you hardly hear it. In the dark you can't see them at all. When I still lived in the woods they used my horse paddock to navigate at night (I had a 12volt lighting all around the paddock). They used to hover about 30meters (just above tree top height) above the paddock but I could hardly see them and only hear (better, feel) them while standing in the paddock.

I just take my bird down when I hear any (private, commercial or military) aircraft, chopper or plane, unless it's an airliner at >10.000 feet, or when I have a good sight on it. The private guys don't follow the rules to the letter. They are allowed to fly at 1000feet over the lake but they are generally much lower.

To the OP:

I would make a call. Those guys should be aware that they're not alone in their air space. If it's only for safety. You might exchange cell phone numbers so you can text them if you plan to take your bird up.

kirk2579 said:
and these guys are definitely in "our" 400 foot area..

There simply is no such thing. The FAA has clearly and consistently stated that it is entirely our responsibility to see and avoid and to ensure zero conflicts with full scale manned traffic. Period. My oldest friend, who is a life-long RC model pilot, flies Medevac helis. Trust me, if he is scooting along that low he has other more pressing matters on his mind than worrying about whether or not you're out playing with you drone.

I can guarantee you if you contact them they will more or less tell you to stay the &$%! out of their way.

Mako79 said:
Unless it's an Apache, you will hear a chopper coming a mile away.
When I hear choppers, I land immediately.

Excellent operating standard!! My regular RC flying field is next to a large lake. The local county FD uses it for training of their fire helis. We have the same rule. When we hear a heli we land. Period. In fact, we get lots of manned traffic down the canyon we fly in. Hear a plane coming?? Get as close to the ground as you can. Fire heli (or any other heli?), land.

Is this not just plan common sense ? Truly folks here aren't that stupid as to play in traffic and to not be aware of what's going on above or around them .

SilentAV8R said:
Will Roger once said that if "common Sense" were all that common, more people would have it!!
:shock: ya think ! ;)

lake_flyer said:
Good thing.

In my area, above the lake Apaches and Chinooks are allowed to fly as low as they want, without ANY navigation lights. Scared the hell out of me when I flew 60feet above the lake one moonlit night. And indeed, an Apache is very quite, even when it's right above you, you hardly hear it. In the dark you can't see them at all. When I still lived in the woods they used my horse paddock to navigate at night (I had a 12volt lighting all around the paddock). They used to hover about 30meters (just above tree top height) above the paddock but I could hardly see them and only hear (better, feel) them while standing in the paddock.

I just take my bird down when I hear any (private, commercial or military) aircraft, chopper or plane, unless it's an airliner at >10.000 feet, or when I have a good sight on it. The private guys don't follow the rules to the letter. They are allowed to fly at 1000feet over the lake but they are generally much lower.

To the OP:

I would make a call. Those guys should be aware that they're not alone in their air space. If it's only for safety. You might exchange cell phone numbers so you can text them if you plan to take your bird up.

That exactly what I was going at,
Not to ***** or complain but as a informative call,
I understand hearing the birds from a ways off , normally we do but Since the weather was in the 0 to 20 range the last few months we are pretty covered up when out , add our own p2 noise and it just isn't that simple.

dirkclod said:
Is this not just plan common sense ? Truly folks here aren't that stupid as to play in traffic and to not be aware of what's going on above or around them .

I don't get the reason for this dirk

I fly every day as well as my neighbor in the area we live .

I get yes land it IF you see, hear other traffic... what if you are out 500 -700 m how fast can you get it back etc. winter earmuffs etc.

way point flying?

Not everything is clear and simple as some would like.

With all the discussion of "drones" in general and our concerns of collisions why is this topic about communicating with others that share our concerns.
as fare as med vac birds my daughter is a Emergency flight qualified MD . I get that also.

I guess Ill just read and not ask "dumb" questions

take care

kirk2579 said:
dirkclod said:

I don't get the reason for this dirk

I fly every day as well as my neighbor in the area we live .

I get yes land it IF you see, hear other traffic... what if you are out 500 -700 m how fast can you get it back etc. winter earmuffs etc.

way point flying?

Not everything is clear and simple as some would like.

With all the discussion of "drones" in general and our concerns of collisions why is this topic about communicating with others that share our concerns.
as fare as med vac birds my daughter is a Emergency flight qualified MD . I get that also.

I guess Ill just read and not ask "dumb" questions

take care
Woa Bro.. That was not aimed at you but was at SilentAV8R .
I do get what you were saying and think it would be a good thing to Go and talk with them if not for anything but make them aware of the other folks that have Phantoms and are flying in your area .
There are no dumb questions and please don't get offended by my remark !!!

While filming at the Hollywood sign this weekend, a C172 came within 300ft horizontally of the hiking trail behind the sign. And it was LEVEL with us. As in we could see the radio antennas on top of the wing. We could also see it's N number which we duly noted. I had the drone about 100ft out and immediately pulled it back to "safe cover" as I always do when any air traffic approaches.

LAPD heli flies pretty low around here from time to time. If I hear him--I'm descending ASAP. I'm sure they could make it very tough on you if there was a close call.

snowghost said:
LAPD heli flies pretty low around here from time to time. If I hear him--I'm descending ASAP. I'm sure they could make it very tough on you if there was a close call.

I do some work at Piper Technical Center where the LAPD heliport is located. I have free run of the building, EXCEPT for the heliport area. Those fellas are VERY SERIOUS DUDES!!! I'd do what I could not to get their attention :?

SilentAV8R said:
Will Roger once said that if "common Sense" were all that common, more people would have it!!
Ahhh wasn't that Will Rogers :?

There is a National Guard training facility in my area and they run training missions from time to time. A month or so ago I was flying at a local park and had just finished a ground station mission at 150 feet I brought it down to about 100 feet and it hovered while I showed my friend how GS works. Suddenly out of nowhere a helicoptor swoops down about 50-75 feet above where my bird was hovering. Not 1 minute earlier I was at the exact altitude as they were and they would have hit it. Its just a matter of time before this happens.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik