Over exposure

Reaction score
Hi,

Can someone out there do me a favour and set all camera settings to auto and try a similar shot as I have attached. DJI tell me its a fault but my supplier (who is great) tells me that this is classic over exposure and I need to change the settings to compensate.

Whilst Im happy to experiment with the settings I would like to compare with another P3 Advanced to see if the results are the same. This is an hour of so before sunset in Paraparaumu, NZ for anyone interested :)

Please note: This is NOT due to the over exposure warning being switched on.

Many thanks to anyone who is willing to help :)

DJI_0002.JPG

Hi,

Can someone out there do me a favour and set all camera settings to auto and try a similar shot as I have attached. DJI tell me its a fault but my supplier (who is great) tells me that this is classic over exposure and I need to change the settings to compensate.

Whilst Im happy to experiment with the settings I would like to compare with another P3 Advanced to see if the results are the same. This is an hour of so before sunset in Paraparaumu, NZ for anyone interested :)

Please note: This is NOT due to the over exposure warning being switched on.

Many thanks to anyone who is willing to help :)

View attachment 42625
I would go with whatever DJI says, they aren't in the business of telling people their stuff is faulty so they can fix it for free under warranty all at their cost. If DJI says it is faulty, it is because it is.

I'm not sure what you're expecting with the sun in frame even if partly covered by thin cloud.
It would be a difficult shot to expose correctly with any camera.
There is reasonable detail in the foreground and the sky is not totally washed out.

You can make it darker/lighter in auto by changing the EV setting, or go manual and change the shutter speed until it looks close as possible to how you'd like.
The dynamic range is actually pretty good for such a small sensor,
The original of that photo could be worked in Lightroom or similar to give a pretty good punchy image.

If the sun was not over-exposed the rest of the shot would be black. There camera has chosen a compromise that gives you at least some detail in the shadow. As 4wd said, this is a limitation of all cameras when pointing towards the sun. Post a shot without the sun in view and can get a better idea if your Phantom is defective or not.

The dial on the front right side will correct that, On the RC that is. I get it sometime and I dial it out. If it were a larger area I would say it was the camera. I actually had a camera that did it to any bright area.

36538-371eca8aa82a00ba4e3f3da4cff290e7.jpg
This is what I had. It was the same on the actual photo. I didn't save a copy of that. I had the camera part changed by Hunch. Everything is perfect now.

Hang on - is that the actual photo or a screen shot of the app? If I shoot directly into the sun, then I don't get black vertical lines on the photo. It is way over-exposed, yes, but the image doesn't contain black lines.
:oops: I didn't spot the lines when I viewed this earlier on my smaller laptop - very obvious on larger screen now though.
This has cropped up a few times and probably does need go back?

Thanks for your replies. The picture is the actual picture, NOT a screen shot. All my vids and pics that contain the sun in the picture have then lines where it is over exposed. I have never experienced this with other cameras before, i.e the lines in the over exposed area.

I do two things for shots like that. (1) Set the EV to -0.7 or even -1. And (2) press the screen somewhere in the sky, so the little yellow circle appears near the top, and the sky and sun and are properly exposed. But the ground will go very dark.

This works best at sunset, when the sun isn't so bright compared to everything else.

If I really care about the ground being exposed properly, too, I take another shot with no correction, then merge them together with Photoshop.

This all works best if you're shooting in RAW (DNG) mode and use Lightroom or Bridge to process your raw shots before finishing up in Photoshop.

All Greek? Just have fun, and try the different exposure methods that everyone here suggests! :)

Overexposure warnings are animated diagonal zebra lines on the FPV device.
The OP has stated that this is an image from the SD card on the bird. The camera is faulty and you should contact DJI or your dealer. The camera needs to be replaced.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj