Over exposed video

Reaction score
I've got a question on camera settings for the p3 pro camera.

Seems like everything is so bright and way over exposed. The white balance is on auto but doesn't seem to make a difference. Any of the settings really Abe not better. Wondering if anyone else has had this happen?

Is the ISO set to auto? Might want to also click on different focus points on the camera to get your desired exposure then click the AE lock..

I've got a question on camera settings for the p3 pro camera.
Seems like everything is so bright and way over exposed. The white balance is on auto but doesn't seem to make a difference.
White balance isn't related to exposure - it's about adjusting colour for different kinds of light sources so that white is white.

Check your exposure value (EV) setting.

I get the opposite - too dark usually - the auto exposure was far better on the V2+.
There is an easy cure - angle the camera up or down!
You can also tap on the screen and choose where you want it to meter from.

Silly question, how do you know it's over exposed?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Easiest way to get great shots with the Phantoms or any camera. Learn how to use the histogram or other tools like zebra or waveform and always use manual exposure and BTW learn how to set WP manually as well.

Otherwise you are stuck with some programmers idea of what may be right. Manual is always best. But only if you know what you are doing.

There are many excellent articles on the web about how to use a histogram and learning proper Kelvin WP. I don't feel I have to repeat that here. If you really care take the time to learn, if you are in a rush or lazy use auto everything and get mediocre results.

Silly question, how do you know it's over exposed?

I obviously need to explain. It might look exposed on one medium and not on another. The only way to be sure is to measure the levels. It might be a black level issue or it may be 'clipping'. Until we see the video and look at the levels it could simply be a monitor set too high.

On auto with the EV setting at zero it won't be far off.
There is no 'need' for ND filter or anything else.
In normal daylight the auto setting will stay on ISO 100 or 200 and exposure changes - done by automatic shutter speed adjustment - will be smooth and not stepped as they will be on manual.

on the right side of the controler there ia a wheel.
if you rotate this all the way in one direction it will make your video go white and look over exposed and if you rotate this wheel in the other direction it will make your video go darker until you see nothing but black.

Underexposed vs Overexposed Photos: Which is Worse? - Tested.com

It is a good explanation, but not suitable for all situation. Especially with phantom 3 and / or for video recording.

Sony sensor in p3 tends to clipping the white / highlight detail a bit, even though you hv set the ev 0 which is normal use, some of the highlight / white detail still blow out.

if you are shooting raw photo, you may still recover some of the highlight detail, but in video mode, it is not the case, blow out means no detail , all white and can not be recoverd. Thus, if there is slightly underexpose you may still brighten up the shadow detail to correct the exposure.

So, my recommendation is ev set to -0.3. even better if you learn how to control the exposure and white balance manually.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31