Over 500 sightings of Drones near airports

Status
Not open for further replies.
The info you mention is from 2015. The FAA just released a new report. However, it's the same old same old... Media says it's all about near misses and illegal flying and it's not.

Sound familiar? It should.

Welcome to the EXACT same tactic they have been using for promoting gun control for years. They skew the data, the media runs with that skewed data like a marlin on a hook and we all get the shaft because thats what their agenda is. Control.

Welcome to the EXACT same tactic they have been using for promoting gun control for years. They skew the data, the media runs with that skewed data like a marlin on a hook and we all get the shaft because thats what their agenda is. Control.

Pretty much. I think the FAA has avoided their flat out lies this time around (not saying much)... and only because they got "feedback" the last time. But yes, the media is not bothering to even understand what the report shows and in some cases just ignoring it in order to get more readership.

The good old days when media was held accountable for what they wrote. Not theses days.

My fav is still the helicopter pilot who saw a UAV 100' below him (while at 500') and 1/2 mile away. I think his name is Steve Austin and he's worth $6 million.

Want to get rid of this crap... simply require the reporting person's name. Bet that gets rid of almost all of these "sightings".

Reactions: Wolfiesden
Pretty much. I think the FAA has avoided their flat out lies this time around (not saying much)... and only because they got "feedback" the last time. But yes, the media is not bothering to even understand what the report shows and in some cases just ignoring it in order to get more readership.

The good old days when media was held accountable for what they wrote. Not theses days.

My fav is still the helicopter pilot who saw a UAV 100' below him (while at 500') and 1/2 mile away. I think his name is Steve Austin and he's worth $6 million.

Want to get rid of this crap... simply require the reporting person's name. Bet that gets rid of almost all of these "sightings".

Better yet, require them to supply their name, address, and contact/email info just like the FAA requires of those who register their drones. Legitimacy on both sides. What a concept. But we all know that will NEVER happen. It doesn't fit with their agenda.

As a point of reference regarding your 3rd paragraph....

What is your experience piloting aircraft in a similar situation?

I only have about 65 hours in C152 & 172s (no biggie but I have perspective) and that level of visibility is not uncommon. Bit all situations are different just like UAVs are different and some are more visible than others.

If you have never flown as a PIC than your assessment of other's capabilities is not only suspect but hypocritical.

As a point of reference regarding your 3rd paragraph....

What is your experience piloting aircraft in a similar situation?

I've been in _plenty_ of planes. I've also flown my UAV out 1/2 miles. Even with 20/20 vision there is no way I could know I've seen a UAV at that distance. It was not a bird or balloon or anything else... it was reported as a UAV. Also, it would have been at 400', 5 miles away from an airport and 1/2 mile away from the helicopter... what is the need to report that?

What someone needs to do is report to the FAA that they saw a UAV at Best Buy. Would be funny to see that in their reports. I'd think it would be a great example of how they will add everything to that list.

If you have never flown as a PIC than your assessment of other's capabilities is not only suspect but hypocritical.

Your response suggests that a PIC has some inherent special ability or technology which makes his/her visual ability far better than a non PIC. If that's the case, then you are correct.

I would suspect that most people have experience viewing an object(s) at 1/2 mile away. That gives a valid frame of reference to suspect what a pilot might see at 1/2 mile away.

One would hope that someone piloting an aircraft would have other things to divide his attention to. There is also the fact that the pilot is probably in motion. There is also the fact that (in this example) the object was below him, so it wasn't being viewed against a clear sky background, but the ground. Of course, these things are making assumptions about what happens in a cockpit (which I find reasonable, having been the PIC in a cockpit).

Either way, I would call into question any claim that a barely visible speck 1/2 mile away is a drone. Easy to test... launch a drone and hover at 5 feet. Have a friend stand 1/2 mile away. If not for the sound, I'll bet he can't tell the drone is there, or (if he can see something) differentiate it from any other object suspended at the same height.

So many internet experts without the prerequisite experience and expertise.

Like I said 65 hours PIC wasn't much but it gives me perspective that others don't have.
What is your experience?

It really is easier than you think to see things like a drone below you especially when flying close to the ground.

I see deer stands in treelines around fields when flying around 1000 ft or lower. Sometimes, with drones, it's likely a glint or shine that shouldn't be there that catches your eye.

I can see a white seagull 1100 meters across the lake against the dark treeline or a drone.

I also think many reported sightings are other things like balloons, etc.

I also have no doubt the media purposefully misrepresents the truth. It's why I refuse to be talk to media "off the record."

People have been seeing UFOs for decades, my guess is many of them just converted the term "UFO" to "Drone".

Well I guess we'll see really how concerned the FAA is when it makes known its new UAV rules/guidelines/recommendations in a few months.

Wonder what class of airspace they were in. Could be they were both legally in the airspace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj