OSD "on screen display" for FPV

Reaction score
I have ordered the FatShark Dominators to use with my Phantom, and have been told that the DJI iOSD MK II is not
compatible.
Does anyone here use an on screen display for FPV ? If so, I would really appreciate any and all input.

Audaciter said:
I have ordered the FatShark Dominators to use with my Phantom, and have been told that the DJI iOSD MK II is not
compatible.
Does anyone here use an on screen display for FPV ? If so, I would really appreciate any and all input.

Hi I would recommend to use EzOSD from immersion RC, DJI OSD MK 11 works with Wookong_M mainly. Check our website for details also : multirotorHeli.ca

Audaciter said:
compatible.

Here is all the required stuff (for Fatshark can use any tinyFPV camera such as Turnigy or Sony or better GoPro hero3 black:

1) Power filter ( for use 2s and 3s batteries - Advise GoPro3 black uses 5v not 12v if you can connect to Phantom Battery need to down to 5v)
http://tienda.stockrc.com/epages/eb0140.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/eb0140/Products/2061
2) GoPro 3 black video / audio cable out
http://tienda.stockrc.com/epages/eb0140.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/eb0140/Products/2164-2
3) OSD data on your screen or goggles with telemetry. Ready to connect to Fatshark TX
http://tienda.stockrc.com/epages/eb0140.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/eb0140/Products/BSII
4) Battery for goggles FatShark (also could use Nanotech 1000mah 2S 7.4v)
http://tienda.stockrc.com/epages/eb0140.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/eb0140/Products/2134

I have a very simple and small "e-osd" for my fpv setup. I wanted to buy a more feature rich model (like the EZOSD) but looking at it, I'm not sure where I'd mount it. It's much larger than the little e-osd device.

Thanks for all the replies, I purchased an Eagle Tree Pro OSD from Future Hobbies last night. "It was in stock" :!:
I am going to use the Hero 3 black edition, so I'll look into the cable for video out. I saw one from "Range Video"
that looked interesting, as it plugs into the expansion slot on the back, where the lcd backpac plugs in.

I did know about the camera needing 5vdc, so I bought a Castle Creations bec that is programmable from 4.8v - 9v,
but comes preset to 5.1v.

I also purchased the Phantomount gimble wide, so I can keep the gopro in the waterproof housing.

I'll probably get a Garmin gps tracker, so I can locate it in the event it flies away.

Now it's just a matter of waiting, and waiting, and waiting, until all this stuff arrives.

I have no idea what the eta for the FatShark system is.

didypunget the eagle pro to work with the fatshark. I have the attitude and phanromount as well Let me know if you got it working

I did or an arris cm2000 as I find the phantomount very choppy. if you look at the arris videos they are all very. smooth vut the phanromount all seem to have a delay in stavilization. Even the rc- drone that sellls them posted a videi with a similar delay and chopiness

Oh my god, how deep in the bowels of the system archives did you have to go to find this posting.

I did FINALLY get the Dominators, but it took months.

I have decided to use the DJI IOSD mini, which was not even available when I began this post. I should get the IOSD mini
on Tuesday.

I will no longer have the PhantoMount, I now have the Zenmuse gimbal.

It would be interesting to dig this posting up in another 4-6 months, and see what changes have been made.

Do you have upgrade kit for Phantom? I installed upgrade kit with zenmuse gimbal - it's working fine and requires less wires and boxes inside Phantom. But now I have the problem - how to connect iOSD mini? In particular, how to connect PMU v2 after upgrade kit is installed, is it possible? Because I see no other way to install iOSD mini. Anyone has installed iOSD with upgrade kit?

Eagle Pro OSD

There's an OSD in my future. I've been looking at all of the ones mentioned in various threads. One feature that the Eagle had that looked interesting is that you can pragmatically turn on and off the display of each measurement. For me, I would start with just a couple of measurements, and use that for a while, and then slowly add more as I got used to it.

andrejb said:
Do you have upgrade kit for Phantom? I installed upgrade kit with zenmuse gimbal - it's working fine and requires less wires and boxes inside Phantom. But now I have the problem - how to connect iOSD mini? In particular, how to connect PMU v2 after upgrade kit is installed, is it possible? Because I see no other way to install iOSD mini. Anyone has installed iOSD with upgrade kit?

Ay, there's the rub. You cannot add the PMU-V2 to the upgraded board. The PMU-V2 in fact completely replaces the main board except for it being a place to solder the battery lead and ESCs. So with the PMU-V2 you could in fact trash the old main board entirely, wire all the ESCs together with the battery leads and PMU power leads, and reclaim the space. I did see one person do that on another forum and it was a pretty smart solution.

I went the other route, with the main board upgrade as you did. I *really* wanted to use the iOSD Mini because it doesn't need a separate GPS module. But the problem is that there's no way to plug it in. *Supposedly* there's an email from DJI Europe telling someone that you can plug the iOSD Mini into the main board's GPS port and plug the GPS into one of the CAN BUS ports on the iOSD.

The thing is, while that probably works from a purely technical perspective (it appears that the EXP and LED ports on the NAZA as well as the GPS port on the board are all CAN BUS ports in disguise), they don't have the same type of connector DJI uses for its "real" CAN BUS ports. So unless DJI releases a new cable/adapter for this, or you feel like trying to wire it yourself, it's kind of a non-starter.

My solution was to go with the Skylark Trace IV OSD instead of the Mini, and in the end I'm glad I did. You get a current sensor in addition to just the voltage reading that the iOSD gives you, although you do give up the pitch and roll info that the iOSD displays. And while I originally didn't like the idea of having *another* GPS inside the shell for the OSD, in the end I like it a lot. The Skylark Trace GPS is *way* more accurate than the NAZA GPS (I can get 9 sats indoors with the Trace when the NAZA is still showing <5). And I figure if I have a GPS failure on the NAZA and the quad flies away, I'll still get good GPS from the OSD to track it down. Not so if you rely on the NAZA as your only GPS.

Is this still the case?

I just bought a mini OSD, BTU and PMU V2 thinking it would all connect, only to open it up and find that I have only one port for EXP and X3 with two cables...

This is insane if DJI make these products and they don't connect.

andrejb said:

Did you find a solution to this? I've now got a iOSD mini PMU V2 and a BTU and Can not figure out how the cables are going to work going in and out of the NAZA...

Re: OSD

Greggreenberg said:
I got the iosd mini and is working fine with my phantom and gopro.
Perhaps you do not understand what they are talking about.
The question was a common connection new Phantom upgrade motherboard, Zenmuse H3-2D gimbal and iOSD.
The new motherboard does not have CANbus connection.

Or you say that you're connected iOSD (MK2 or mini) to a new Phantom upgrade motherboard?

Re: OSD "on screen display" for FPV

MrMediaGuy said:
...My solution was to go with the Skylark Trace IV OSD instead of the Mini, and in the end I'm glad I did. You get a current sensor in addition to just the voltage reading that the iOSD gives you, although you do give up the pitch and roll info that the iOSD displays. And while I originally didn't like the idea of having *another* GPS inside the shell for the OSD, in the end I like it a lot. The Skylark Trace GPS is *way* more accurate than the NAZA GPS (I can get 9 sats indoors with the Trace when the NAZA is still showing <5). And I figure if I have a GPS failure on the NAZA and the quad flies away, I'll still get good GPS from the OSD to track it down. Not so if you rely on the NAZA as your only GPS.

Do you know if this the case with EzOSD as well?

I was disappointed to learn I couldn't use iOSD with an upgraded board but, cost aside, having a separate GPS unit seems like a huge bonus in the case of a fly-away, as you mentioned.

Well, I don't personally have an ezOSD, but that was my second choice after the Skylark. I was a little unsure about the ezOSD because for a while a lot of people reported that it took a looooong time to get a satellite lock, but lately I haven't seen that stated as much, and many people seem to be reporting that the satellite lock isn't bad at all.

I think if you have an Immersion video TX there is something to be said about the ezOSD having a direct cable connect to the TX, but if you are going to have to solder anyway, the Skylark is probably an equally good choice. Only real consideration is that Skylark has three separate modules (OSD, current sensor, GPS), while ezOSD has two (current sensor, and OSD/GPS in one). So in the end the Skylark is a little easier to fit into the shell; the ezOSD will fit but the main unit is a little bulky.

All that said, the "rumor" is that DJI is coming out with a Y-cable that will let you plug their iOSD into the main board, so you may want to sit tight a few weeks and see what happens.

MrMediaGuy said:
...All that said, the "rumor" is that DJI is coming out with a Y-cable that will let you plug their iOSD into the main board, so you may want to sit tight a few weeks and see what happens.

That's what I heard and I think you're right - I'll invest in the FPV setup in the meantime and worry about adding OSD once the dust settles on this cable thing. Thanks!

first time with an OSD system, but I've been using firebug for the past two weeks. It's pretty nice and it fits inside the phantom. It does make the shell a little warm, but nothing really bad. The iOSD from DJI needs a CANBUS hub to be able to run both the iOSD and the gimble, which doesn't seem to make much sense...

how did you hook up the 5 volts for the firebug. And there is no more support from jay, I guess you had no problem setting it up.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20