Orignal phantom battery size and capacity

Reaction score
Hello, just a quick question after watching a DJI rep guy do a little demo on youtube and since seeing the new longer flight batts coming out with the new phantom models..
So the guy in the demo vid said that with technology advances the capacity of the lipo batts that currently fit into the original phantom will get better without the size getting any bigger, and thus giving a longer flight time!..?.. Does anybody out there know if this is likely to happen? Would be nice to know I could be enjoying longer flight times without having to upgrade to newer phantom models.. Hopefully, Jim :)

jim1976 said:
Hello, just a quick question after watching a DJI rep guy do a little demo on youtube and since seeing the new longer flight batts coming out with the new phantom models..
So the guy in the demo vid said that with technology advances the capacity of the lipo batts that currently fit into the original phantom will get better without the size getting any bigger, and thus giving a longer flight time!..?.. Does anybody out there know if this is likely to happen? Would be nice to know I could be enjoying longer flight times without having to upgrade to newer phantom models.. Hopefully, Jim :)

In time things will improve no doubt.

But as of right now, if you want more capacity, there ARE a few 2700 and 2800 mah batteries that will fit into the existing Phantom 1 bays that will squeak out a bit more flight time.
Tho once you get the hang of things, 6-7 minutes real is a good amount of time to work with, just swap out batteries in between.

New batteries are $160. :eek:

Sure they're larger capacities but all lipos wear out soon enough. I'd rather but a handful of $10 hobby king turnigy batteries instead.

Gizmo3000 said:
jim1976 said:

In time things will improve no doubt.

But as of right now, if you want more capacity, there ARE a few 2700 and 2800 mah batteries that will fit into the existing Phantom 1 bays that will squeak out a bit more flight time.
Tho once you get the hang of things, 6-7 minutes real is a good amount of time to work with, just swap out batteries in between.

Thanks for the info! I didn't know of these slightly bigger lipo's but have sourced some already, they say another 2 mins flying time with the zenmuse! :D Have a few 2200's already and they been totally fine, was just a bit concerned now after the gimbal upgrade. Happy flying fella's and may the tech keep on moving! :)

FlyingFanta said:

Sure they're larger capacities but all lipos wear out soon enough. I'd rather but a handful of $10 hobby king turnigy batteries instead.

Hi there, dude are you referring to the new phantom batts? I've never seen any that expensive for the P1.. Also never seen any as cheap as that for the P1 either.. :)

i have tried fitting another batt to my phantom so that will be 2 max and the flight time is still 8 mins so i cant work out why some have posted longer fkight times.i know that more weight carries more power but i thought it would be better so that was a waste of money for the Y lead

chrisflyer said:
i have tried fitting another batt to my phantom so that will be 2 max and the flight time is still 8 mins so i cant work out why some have posted longer fkight times.i know that more weight carries more power but i thought it would be better so that was a waste of money for the Y lead

Weight is EVERYTHING. If your Phantom is already too heavy, it won't get additional flight time with another battery. If you're adding a lot of hardware (rails, mounts, heavy parallel harness) you add so much weight it cancels out the additional power. Also, if your voltage alarms aren't really well calibrated, you could be getting earlier warnings either with single or double batteries. And the way you mount your batteries affects flight too - a lot of mounts have them on the sides of the landing gear directly under the prop wash, which is a bit self-defeating. All things being equal, with another 2200 you can expect to get 1.5-1.7x the flight time of a single battery.

thanks for the heads up .i did not realise that you can adjust the alarm settings.i take it you do that through the phantom/controller hard ware

chrisflyer said:
thanks for the heads up .i did not realise that you can adjust the alarm settings.i take it you do that through the phantom/controller hard ware

Software, it's set from within the Naza Assistant. You may need hardware to test the voltages in order to calibrate it (but in this and 95% of cases, my bet is on weight).

jim1976 said:
FlyingFanta said:

Hi there, dude are you referring to the new phantom batts? I've never seen any that expensive for the P1.. Also never seen any as cheap as that for the P1 either.. :)

These are the ones I got:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... ouse_.html

A little longer run time than the DJI batteries too!

FlyingFanta said:
jim1976 said:
FlyingFanta said:

These are the ones I got:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... ouse_.html

A little longer run time than the DJI batteries too!

Nice one! That's a great price too. I am going to go for 1 or 2 of these 2700mah ones and should get a couple extra mins in the air :)

I had the same thoughts about twin batteries but run a single Dinogy 2800Mah which fits in the standard P1 without mods.

My all up weight with this battery is 1100g and on a good day get 10-12 mins.

camelman said:
I had the same thoughts about twin batteries but run a single Dinogy 2800Mah which fits in the standard P1 without mods.

My all up weight with this battery is 1100g and on a good day get 10-12 mins.

Nice job! Are you flying with gimbal/fpv?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues