Original Phantom vs. Phantom v1.1.1 (Differences?)

Reaction score
Good evening everyone, I am new to the community and in fact, new to the multi-rotor RC hobby. Please forgive me if this question has been asked / answered before:

What exactly are the differences between the Original Phantom and the Phantom v1.1.1??

I ask as a person looking to buy one very soon and am wanting to make sure that I get exactly what I want. And by all means, feel free to get as technical and detailed as possible.

Also, if this question hasn't been answered thoroughly then perhaps the moderators can sticky this thread and turn it into a quick "go to" for people with questions about the Phantom 1 and v.1.1.1, etc...

Thanks in advance for helping a n00b out

A true v1.1.1 [there were a few mix-n match versions] has;

Naza v2 flight controller- instead of v1
Dual antenna Futaba compatible D bus receiver- instead of PPM single antenna
Self tightening props with integrated spinners [nuts]. Tool to aid removal included.
A DJ6 transmitter marked v1.1.1 on the back. It has USB connectivity. Self centre sticks.

I think that's it. I also believe that that the Naza setup includes the v2 pmu- with available can port- for bolt on goodies.
I also think that the transmitter mode [1 or 2] can be switched in the RC assistant.
These last 2 need confirming by others with greater knowledge :?

discv said:
A true v1.1.1 [there were a few mix-n match versions] has;

Naza v2 flight controller- instead of v1
Dual antenna Futaba compatible D bus receiver- instead of PPM single antenna
Self tightening props with integrated spinners [nuts]. Tool to aid removal included.
A DJ6 transmitter marked v1.1.1 on the back. It has USB connectivity. Self centre sticks.

I think that's it. I also believe that that the Naza setup includes the v2 pmu- with available can port- for bolt on goodies.
I also think that the transmitter mode [1 or 2] can be switched in the RC assistant.
These last 2 need confirming by others with greater knowledge :?

AWESOME! Thanks for the reply!!

What does kinda confuse me is the "few mix-n-match versions" part of your post... How can we identify the mix-n-match ones? When I purchase one I want to make sure that I get a TRUE v1.1.1 and not a mix-n-match... is there anyway to make sure that happens?

I wouldn't worry too much- these hybrids have probably long since found homes.

As for supplier- I guess it needs to be someone you can speak to prior to purchase or a source that has a cast iron returns policy.

There must be a forum member that can recommend a dealership in you area.

Amazon seems to be OK as well.

The version number is printed on the bar code sticker on the box. That's the only real indication.

Another difference with the 1.1.1 is that it has the gimbal tilt lever pre-installed on the back of the tx. I think the little plastic GoPro mount was upgraded between the 1.1 and 1.1.1 versions to hold the GP3 as well, though nobody really uses that.

There is no PMU-V2 or Phantom upgrade board included with any factory version of the Phantom. You do get the genuine Naza-M V2 but you have to find your CANBus some other way.

I have a 1.1.1 and have a couple questions about the "upgrades" it comes with.
From the reading I've done on here, I understand that in order to install a gimbal, I need to change to an upgrade board? So what do I do with the gimbal tilt control otherwise?
The other question I had about the red and black wires poking out from the 4th leg of the landing gear. The only explanation I saw was it can power a video tx. Are these straight power from the battery? reduced power running from the naza? outputs controlled by the tilt control?

Fordzuki said:
I have a 1.1.1 and have a couple questions about the "upgrades" it comes with.
From the reading I've done on here, I understand that in order to install a gimbal, I need to change to an upgrade board? So what do I do with the gimbal tilt control otherwise?

You only need the upgrade board if you want to use an H3-2D (or H3-3D) gimbal. If you get any of the third party gimbals, you don't need the upgrade board, and you can get tilt control directly through the NAZA's F2 output.

Fordzuki said:
The other question I had about the red and black wires poking out from the 4th leg of the landing gear. The only explanation I saw was it can power a video tx. Are these straight power from the battery? reduced power running from the naza? outputs controlled by the tilt control?

Those aux power leads provide 3S power straight from the battery, so it will work with anything that takes ~11-12v. Most video TXs do, most gimbal controllers do, some LEDs do. You just need to look at the specs of the accessory you want to power and make sure it can take 3S DC power.

Thanks for the response. I think I may use the power for an fpv setup soon. :D
On another note, and to keep all my noob questions to one thread, I keep reading about fcc vs ce mode, and I'm a little confused about the firmware end of things. Everything I have found about it refers to the vision+, and I'm not sure if the 1.1.1 is the same.
I turned the pot to fcc mode per the instructions on dji's website. I keep reading that you need to also turn it to fcc mode in the assistant software, but I see no place to do that. I even opened up the controller and plugged it in, and while the computer acknowledges its linked, the levers don't move the bars in assistant. Is there a seperate assistant for the controller? Is this even necessary on the 1.1.1? (I didn't have the phantom powered up when I had the controller plugged in) I also didn't see anything about this in the manual.

Fordzuki said:
On another note, and to keep all my noob questions to one thread, I keep reading about fcc vs ce mode, and I'm a little confused about the firmware end of things. Everything I have found about it refers to the vision+, and I'm not sure if the 1.1.1 is the same.
I turned the pot to fcc mode per the instructions on dji's website. I keep reading that you need to also turn it to fcc mode in the assistant software, but I see no place to do that. I even opened up the controller and plugged it in, and while the computer acknowledges its linked, the levers don't move the bars in assistant. Is there a seperate assistant for the controller? Is this even necessary on the 1.1.1? (I didn't have the phantom powered up when I had the controller plugged in) I also didn't see anything about this in the manual.

FCC/CE is only for the 5.8ghz controllers (Vision, Vision +, and presumably, the FC40). The 1.1.1, Phantom 2, or other 2.4ghz radios do not have the FCC/CE mode pot. So what does that pot do that obviously exists and was put on the circuit board for some reason? Nobody knows.

ElGuano said:
Fordzuki said:

FCC/CE is only for the 5.8ghz controllers (Vision, Vision +, and presumably, the FC40). The 1.1.1, Phantom 2, or other 2.4ghz radios do not have the FCC/CE mode pot. So what does that pot do that obviously exists and was put on the circuit board for some reason? Nobody knows.
That's funny. That's why I couldn't find any info on it. :lol:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic