Orientation

Reaction score
Does anyone know if DJI has plans to update its software to include intelligent orientation? It would be nice to let the Phantom figure out which direction you want to go based on transmitter stick input only and not worry about the actual direction the Phantom is facing.

Well, there's already "intelligent orientation control" or IOC if you're not in Phantom mode, that does exactly that. If you're flying in home-lock or course-lock modes, the Phantom disregards the direction the Phantom is facing and directs it based on stick input only, as modified by GPS lock or compass direction recorded.

http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Naza-M ... on_Control

drifter said:
Does anyone know if DJI has plans to update its software to include intelligent orientation? It would be nice to let the Phantom figure out which direction you want to go based on transmitter stick input only and not worry about the actual direction the Phantom is facing.
Have you tried NAZA mode? IOC is enabled and you can use home lock or course lock on S2. Be sure to select failsafe for S1 instead of manual mode. ;)

Naza mode, home lock, coarse lock, switch settings, when all I want is to simply move the phantom in the direction of the stick movement. As you say the phantom already has IOC but some people would like it simplified. I hope DJI is listening because some of their competitors are already including this feature which is a great idea.

You may not be explaining your issue well enough for us to understand it. Based on your original text, what you want is already there. Simply place the left switch into the center position and the control sticks do exactly as you want. How much simpler do you want it? The only caveat is you need to use the Assistant software to be in Naza mode rather than Phantom mode. Once again, a very easy thing to do and you only do it one time.

Thanks mopar bob, so you’re telling me that in Naza mode the phantoms orientation doesn’t matter and your right, just pull back on the stick and it will return home which is a nice feature for sure. But, forward, backwards, and side to side all work in the direction of the stick movement while the phantom is moving forward. Now if you rotated it 180 degrease all the stick movements are reversed so right becomes left and left becomes right for stick movement. I saw a company on the internet that has a fix for this. The quad chopper can be rotated 180 degrees and the stick movements stay the same. Does the current software support this feature? From what I have read, no. But, maybe I need to read the manual again. Stranger things have happened.

drifter said:
Thanks mopar bob, so you’re telling me that in Naza mode the phantoms orientation doesn’t matter and your right, just pull back on the stick and it will return home which is a nice feature for sure. But, forward, backwards, and side to side all work in the direction of the stick movement while the phantom is moving forward. Now if you rotated it 180 degrease all the stick movements are reversed so right becomes left and left becomes right for stick movement. I saw a company on the internet that has a fix for this. The quad chopper can be rotated 180 degrees and the stick movements stay the same. Does the current software support this feature? From what I have read, no. But, maybe I need to read the manual again. Stranger things have happened.

Home lock and course lock do this. Orientation does not affect. You can continuously yaw the phantom and pull the stick back and it will come back to you AS LONG AS it's far enough away from you to where it doesn't change to course lock. I believe it's 10m from home point. Farther than that and it'll do what you want. Go out and play with it!

If you are in naza mode, and you place the left switch in the center position, and the Phantoms front is facing you, and you push the stick back, it will come to you. If you then yaw counter clockwise 90 degrees and you push the stick back, it will come to you.

Yep, it's worth reading the manual for these. These modes are pretty easy to use, but IOC must be activated in Assistant first, and each mode has a few gotchas that you really should be familiar with before you play with them. Once you learn them, they're both quite useful tools, particularly homelock, which you can use to bring your Phantom back to you even if you lose visual sight and have no idea where it is in the sky.

Monte55 said:
Why do you suggest failsafe rather than manual for S1?
Because Failsafe is actually useful for most flyers as opposed to Manual which (for most flyers) is just a novel way of crashing your Phantom - particularly if you accidentally switch to Manual.

Meta4 said:
Monte55 said:
Because Failsafe is actually useful for most flyers as opposed to Manual which (for most flyers) is just a novel way of crashing your Phantom - particularly if you accidentally switch to Manual.

I asked about what was going to be the best choice to select manual or failsafe when I got my first Phantom 1 in April 20114. I felt that if I lost gps or signal from tx to quad at least I might have a better chance to save the quad if something went crazy. I may be wrong in my thinking but I would rather have some control than none at all. I can fly in manual but not great. Need more practice. Hell if you do and hell if you don't kind of thing. It still flies well and on original props. I must be doing something right or just **** lucky. Would like more input on this. Plus I like to use manual for takeoff . More responsive and doesn't linger and tip over.

Monte55 said:
Meta4 said:
Monte55 said:

I asked about what was going to be the best choice to select manual or failsafe when I got my first Phantom 1 in April 20114. I felt that if I lost gps or signal from tx to quad at least I might have a better chance to save the quad if something went crazy. I may be wrong in my thinking but I would rather have some control than none at all. I can fly in manual but not great. Need more practice. Hell if you do and hell if you don't kind of thing. It still flies well and on original props. I must be doing something right or just **** lucky. Would like more input on this. Plus I like to use manual for takeoff . More responsive and doesn't linger and tip over.

Monte55 said:
Meta4 said:
Monte55 said:

Well if you lose the connection between tx and the phantom then not even manual will save it. You can always switch to ATTI mode to have 90% non-computer control over it. Basically everything except elevation is "manual".

Monte are you sure you don't achieve the same result in atti mode. In atti mode, you have no GPS to assist in controlling but you still have the IMU functioning to keep the craft oriented correctly. And you can still fly it home without the GPS.

Monte55 said:
Meta4 said:
Monte55 said:

:D
Hi Monte,
I know you are experienced with manual mode, but most of us are not. ATTI is plenty exciting for me.
I'm not sure why your birds don't blast off like mine do? Is there that much difference between Phantom 1/Phantom 2? Maybe you can get some thrust boosted props?

I’m still confused. OK I see that in home lock the orientation of the phantom doesn’t matter to bring the bird back to me. This is not what I’m talking about. In the pilot training guide the training is all about maneuvering while keeping the bird oriented and knowing where the front is at all times. There is a reason there are LEDs and red color bands on the bird. If they weren’t necessary than why are they there? Because as it is now the pilot needs these indicators to stay oriented. What I’m talking about is being able to maneuver about without staying oriented just by stick movement so that, for instants, right or left never reverse. Does this make any sense?

drifter said:
I’m still confused. OK I see that in home lock the orientation of the phantom doesn’t matter to bring the bird back to me. This is not what I’m talking about. In the pilot training guide the training is all about maneuvering while keeping the bird oriented and knowing where the front is at all times. There is a reason there are LEDs and red color bands on the bird. If they weren’t necessary than why are they there? Because as it is now the pilot needs these indicators to stay oriented. What I’m talking about is being able to maneuver about without staying oriented just by stick movement so that, for instants, right or left never reverse. Does this make any sense?

It makes perfect sense to me, I don't think it's making sense to you though.

Again: home lock and course lock DO THIS. There's no need to know which way the phantom is pointing. Pushing left on the right stick will make it go left whether it's pointed at you, away from you, or any other angle. Pushing right will make it go right. Pull it back and it comes towards you. Push away and it will go away from you.

ORIENTATION OF THE PHANTOM DOES NOT MATTER IN HOME LOCK AND COURSE LOCK MODES.

Thanks JJM, that finally sunk in....

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4