Orientation. I am at a loss.

Reaction score
Example.

This morning I flew away. Turned the aircraft around and tried to follow the yellow line back to base.

The flight arrow narrow bit with the green light splash, which I assume was camera direction, was pointing back at me. I was in P mode. Therefore I thought the front/forward was where the camera was pointing so If I pushed forward on the right stick it would fly down the line back to me.

With me so far?

It went left. This threw me. I always assumed the arrow with the green splash pointed in the direction the camera was pointing therefore the way the forward stick would go. It didn't. I just could not get a handle on left, right etc. In the end I cheated and used RTH.

The only thing I can think of is that the software has updated itself to 1.7?, the latest one and its screwed something up. Not had time yet to check. But compass calibration is going to be the first thing on the agenda.

So something screwed up or is it me got it wrong? Dont forget I was in P mode, not F home mode etc.

Always look at the red arrow direction. Moving stick forward will move the aircraft in the direction of the arrow. Point it to center and aircraft will move to home point. All directions are with respect to the home point set. Radar is a very useful tool in orienting your aircraft correctly.

Nothing has changed in the recent updates for orientation, concept has remained the same.

In case you feel lost, press RTH, aircraft will come back to you buzzing.

Reactions: NRJ
I think he is referencing the map not the radar.

Seems correct if I understand your post and all is working well.

The arrow point is the front. Pointing in back along the line towards the jaunch point should return it to the launch point.

So all you did was try and go forward and right stick forward made the bird go hard left? I would do a compass and stick calibration and see if that helps you.

Sorry you did not read my post. That is exactly what I said. The arrow, with the green light, was pointing at Home. I pushed the stick forward and it SHOULD have gone forward. It did not. Instead it drifted left. I DID push the RTH and it DID come home.

Yes as I said previously the Compass calibration is on my list of things to try.

Also confirm your stick configuration is still in stick mode number 2.

If you can see the bird itself, push forward on the right stick. Whichever way the bird moves push the left stick in that direction and repeat that with both sticks until it comes towards you.

It either wasn't directly pointed at you/home or something is off as you mentioned

Make sure you calibrate the cold IMU before recalibration of the compass. Did you already calibrate IMU and gimbal on a flat surface before initial compass calibration was done?
Doing the compass isn't going to correct your error, if the IMU hadn't been properly calibrated first. ;-)

RedHotPoker

The flight arrow narrow bit with the green light splash, which I assume was camera direction, was pointing back at me. I was in P mode. Therefore I thought the front/forward was where the camera was pointing so If I pushed forward on the right stick it would fly down the line back to me.

Not long since I did a full calibration and IMU Etc. Going to re-calibrate the compass tomorrow just to make sure. Dont worry guys, I will sort it. Thanks for the replies.

Yes you are correct if the arrow point was pointing back towards you/homepoint/launch site and you commanded it to go forward it should have come forward towards you.

Sometimes I fly back along the same line I made going out away from me and the launch site/homepoint.

Let us know if /when you resolve this issue as it will be helpful for others to determine what the underlying issue was.

What device are you using, ios or Android and if ios, is it a phone or iPad and if so, which one? Have you had map trouble since updating to the latest Go App? Is your phantom and rc at the newest updates?

Before you take off check that the orientation of the red arrow is the same on the map as is in the real world.

Example. I position my craft so it faces away from the road in front of my house. At 90 degrees.
After startup of control,app & bird, I check the map. It should show the same thing.
The green "headlights" are the camera view angle.

If the map and the real world are not the same the compass is not right. Do not take off.

Reactions: NRJ
I always try to fly back along the same line. Builds my control skills etc. I have done this many times and this is the first time its let me down.
sounds like a conflict or error between the compass heading and the home point gps fix.

I use an android. Going to take it one step at a time.

At the moment I am updating the software. Heli busily bleeping in the background, seems to take ages.

Will try it tomorrow and see if that clears it. Then if it doesnt I will do a compass calibration. Try it again. If still no luck another IMU Calibration etc.

I use an android. Going to take it one step at a time.

At the moment I am updating the software. Heli busily bleeping in the background, seems to take ages.

Will try it tomorrow and see if that clears it. Then if it doesnt I will do a compass calibration. Try it again. If still no luck another IMU Calibration etc.
Sounds like it is working. It takes sometimes 25 minutes. The green light will glow solid green at the front of camera/gimbal.
when you get it updated and verified via beeps/lights/and txt file verification be sure to delete the txt file from sd card, insert the s/d card back in bird, do the normal startup stuff and then do an IMU calibration on level non metallic surface and then calibrate gimbal.

then go have fun.............

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj