Organize Class action for owners w/ 2312 motors/wrong ESC's?

Reaction score
Good morning all,

This thought occurred to me during the drive in to work...

What if all owners with the new 2312 motors, but incompatible ESC's (as per the package insert from a DJI upgrade kit) begin organizing a structured way to verify and confirm the number of owners the issue affects. This would include those who have experienced crashes and those who haven't but could if with continued use. From what I've been able to gather the last few days in threads here is it affects the Phantom 2 Vision + v3.0, and Phantom 2 v2.0 (non vision) owners primarily.
Another reason why I suggest we take this approach is because from what I've read here and on forums, it seems DJI Support is not quick to respond to all these issues. So we can all wait individually and contact support on an individual basis over time... Or come together to identify the issue that is common to so many members.

My take on it is:
-if DJI produced that chart (still not verified, but it exists), then they are aware there is an issue of "...your Phantom may be unstable in the air and crash..." if the appropriate motor/ESC combo isn't used.
-therefore, there was a failure in quality control during the assembly of Phantoms in the last few months since they were sold and found there way to the end user with motors incompatible with installed ESC's. So those users should not be financially responsible for the loss of their Phantoms due to inexplicable crashes or crashes not due to pilot error (could be a potential point of debate)
-and those that bought the "upgrade kits", was the package insert included in the kit?

I'd suggest we come up with a way to build a photographic package or something to document each owner affected. My initial thought is, top shell removed, ID card in frame with motor with black post and ESC showing no "vX.X" next to QR code. of course, blur out personal info on ID card if you plan on posting it here.

The intent would be to use this thread as organization for a potential class action suit. So please only post if you are an owner affected. There are the other threads here where discussions about this are taking place.

Attachments

• 2312-ESC DJI compatibility chart.jpg
    2312-ESC DJI compatibility chart.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 964
Re: Organize Class action for owners w/ 2312 motors/wrong ES

One problem here is how you identify a V2.0 ESC. There are V2.0 ESCs around, some which say V2.0 on the white label, some which say nothing on the white label.

Hughie said:
One problem here is how you identify a V2.0 ESC. There are V2.0 ESCs around, some which say V2.0 on the white label, some which say nothing on the white label.

Ah, i see. How can those without anything on the label identify if they have the appropriate ESC? My assumption was that if it didn't have the v2.0 then it was not the appropriate ESC for the 2312.

phenom3030 said:
Hughie said:

Ah, i see. How can those without anything on the label identify if they have the appropriate ESC? My assumption was that if it didn't have the v2.0 then it was not the appropriate ESC for the 2312.

That is a reasonable assumption. I bought my V2.0 (New ESC/Motors/etc) P2 in November and had discussions with the suppliers about the ESCs, because the P2 tumbled over with the props running on my first flight. I needed to source a new one. They assured me that the ESCs I had were V2. They do say V2 on the other end of the board, etched near the electrolytic capacitor. So - I assume they are V2.0, unless I hear otherwise.

I do have the new motors, they are the new shape though they differ from off the shelf motors in that they dont have the DJI branding stamped on them.

The replacement ESC I got also says V2 in the etching, but says V2.1 on the label. They seem to work fine.

Hughie said:
phenom3030 said:
Hughie said:

That is a reasonable assumption. I bought my V2.0 (New ESC/Motors/etc) P2 in November and had discussions with the suppliers about the ESCs, because the P2 tumbled over with the props running on my first flight. I needed to source a new one. They assured me that the ESCs I had were V2. They do say V2 on the other end of the board, etched near the electrolytic capacitor. So - I assume they are V2.0, unless I hear otherwise.

I do have the new motors, they are the new shape though they differ from off the shelf motors in that they dont have the DJI branding stamped on them.

The replacement ESC I got also says V2 in the etching, but says V2.1 on the label. They seem to work fine.

If you read the first post in this thread (viewtopic.php?f=27&t=32600) the poster says

"Also everyone who's been using ESC 2.0 based on the "v2" written in gold, that is not the proper v2.0... The writing in gold is the hardware version...The part code written next to the QR code is the software version... so v2.0 next to the QR means ESC 2.0 and that has firmware 4.02"

So I don't believe you have the appropriate ESC's.

phenom3030 said:
If you read the first post in this thread (viewtopic.php?f=27&t=32600) the poster says

"Also everyone who's been using ESC 2.0 based on the "v2" written in gold, that is not the proper v2.0... The writing in gold is the hardware version...The part code written next to the QR code is the software version... so v2.0 next to the QR means ESC 2.0 and that has firmware 4.02"

So I don't believe you have the appropriate ESC's.

You may be right. My understanding when I discussed this with two suppliers was that the hardware is unchanged and it is quite possible that current stock were reflashed with the new firmware anyway. If they did this it would be impossible to tell.

EDIT : Actually I dont believe that presumption is necessarily true. The V2 (written in white I think not gold) also exists on my 2.1 ESC. So it does not follow that this is related to the firmware unless the firmware is the same on both boards.

SO...if there is nothing written (e.g. 2.0 or 2.1) next to the QR code what version might it be? There is a serial number can that be crossed checked?

Prylar Bek said:
SO...if there is nothing written (e.g. 2.0 or 2.1) next to the QR code what version might it be? Their is a serial number can that be crossed checked?

I think the problem here is that any serial numbers that might exist may be unrelated to the firmware version on the board. The hardware is supposed to be the same.

Very confusing!

I'd rather "opt in" if my equipment isn't complying with their chart than take the chance that it might have the correct FW. This goes back to quality control. How can users be assured an ESC has up to date FW if it isn't labeled appropriately.

Is there a way for the end user to confirm FW versions on each ESC? Can the Assistant software tell us? Would I have to buy a special cable or something to connect to the ESC? Should that even be my responsibility?

I'd rather have DJI confirm that all components are good to go rather than a supplier telling me that its "possible" that current stock was reflashed and I'm left with a component that its impossible to tell if it has or not. Would the supplier reimburse me in the event of a failure? I'd assume the supplier doesn't have a vested interest...
I want who's going to take responsibility of the issue to reassure me and remain liable or take action to correct the incompatible combinations.

phenom3030 said:
I'd rather "opt in" if my equipment isn't complying with their chart than take the chance that it might have the correct FW. This goes back to quality control. How can users be assured an ESC has up to date FW if it isn't labeled appropriately.

Is there a way for the end user to confirm FW versions on each ESC? Can the Assistant software tell us? Would I have to buy a special cable or something to connect to the ESC? Should that even be my responsibility?

I'd rather have DJI confirm that all components are good to go rather than a supplier telling me that its "possible" that current stock was reflashed and I'm left with a component that its impossible to tell if it has or not. Would the supplier reimburse me in the event of a failure? I'd assume the supplier doesn't have a vested interest...
I want who's going to take responsibility of the issue to reassure me and remain liable or take action to correct the incompatible combinations.
I agree.
However my supplier insists they are fit for purpose, and says they have had zero returns out of hundreds shipped.

It takes two to action a warranty so I don't have a lot of options anyway.

My longer term plan is to replace the other three ESCs myself with 2.1s, I already have one spare and have another two on back order, oh yeah and have one already fitted :)

However, I still dont know what f/w the 2.1s have!

So this is a F/W issue between 2.0 or 2.1 correct?

Prylar Bek said:
So this is a F/W issue between 2.0 or 2.1 correct?

I *think* pre 2.0, 2.0 and 2.1 are all the same hardware with different firmware. Pre 2.0 firmware version is not said to be compatible with the old motors, the other two are.

Corrections welcome.

I know this has no added value for this thread, but I thank GOD I bought my P2V+ in April of last year. And don't have to worry about all this ridiculousness. I will not be "upgrading" to the new motors or ESCs for a loooooong time (probably never). Sounds more like a downgrade to me.

guess gotta pull of the top and see what I have. Just from memory I do not remember seeing V2.0 next to QR code.

I transplanted my P2 into a new shell (used locktite on old shell and it caused lots of cracks). This new shell does not have a serial number. Would this cause any aggravation if it needs warranty work esc replacements?

Why is it SO difficult that someone from DJI who reads these blogs (I'm sure someone does) just come out with a definitive statement, telling us all what we need to know about this entire ESC, compatibility/non-compatibily issue? Whats the big deal?

Specially this one.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420754593.424648.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420754593.424648.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 404

I did notice that and immediately thought that they just placed a new sticker on an old model ESC. I tried lifting it with twizzers but was glued to well to the bottom paper. It was simply lifting from the ESC.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20