Optimum dangle position

Reaction score
For optimum FPV reception, flying out and flying home, what is considered the optimum positioning of the vTX antenna.
E.g. Left or Rear ?

And what is the optimum position
E.g. point straight down or other ?

Thanks

In a bid to bump start some discussion and answers, I currently have my vTX spiroNet sticking out of the LHS and pointing down.

I see others have theirs pointing backwards and parallel with the ground.

My reasoning for doing what I did was to get an optimum signal when both flying away and when flying home.
How does the second suggestion (above) cope when flying home with the antenna pointing back away from the vRX and obscured by the quad ?

Thanks

I am currently working on a new antenna mount location out on a rear arm under a motor.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=32552

This seems to be the best position to send a clear unabstructed signal in most directions / quad orientations. Working out a few possible problems.

that's a nifty mod, but I think putting the vTx up inside the body isn't recommended since now you won't get any airflow to cool the vTx.
Most folks go ahead and mount the VTx on the belly behind the gimbal. it's really personal preference whether you want to point it "sideways" and have the antenna out the side, or just point it out the back... but if you point it out the back it's best to position the vTx to one side rather than the middle so that the antenna doesn't get in the way of the battery clip. You also want to avoid having your vTx transmit antenna right next to the Phantom's compass.

I personally go at a diagonal towards the rear-side that is AWAY from the compass which comes standard on one of the rear legs. I have my Tx antenna hang below the level of the Phantom feet so that the Phantom can't get in an orientation where the video antenna is blocked by the gimbal/gopro.
The only problem with that obviously is since the antenna hangs lower than the legs, I have to either hand-launch (with a partner, not solo) or take off from a ledge where the Phantom can sit and the vTx antenna can hang down

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj