Optimum battery temperatures?

Reaction score
Does anybody know at what temperature the DJI battery won't let you fly until it is warmed up? (Optimum start temperature)

Also, at what temperature will it not charge? (Optimum charge temperature)

Are these threshold temperatures similar for all Lipo batteries?

I'm looking for a thermometer 'sticker' for each of my external LiHV batteries and I'm trying trying to find a sticker with the correct temperature range.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Not really the answer your looking for but I put one battery in a zip bag and keep it in my pocket when I head out. I then put the second one in my pocket when flying with the first (warmed). Have had no issues throughout the winter.

Sirachie P3A

First Q: I believe the temp is 15 C.

Second Q: I believe the temp is 0 C, and I can't say it won't charge but I think DJI recommends you do not attempt to charge.

This info should be in the P3 manual...

The battery won't let you start below -10C (14F)

The recommended temp by DJI is 20C.

The battery can be charged from 0C (32F) to 40C (104F)

Attachments

• 1461418236047.jpg
    1461418236047.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 442
  • 1461418251837.jpg
    1461418251837.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 402
  • Do not charge battery immediately after flight, because the battery temperature may be too high. Do not charge the battery until it cools down to near room temperature. The battery cannot be charged outside of the temperature range of 0℃-40℃.

Thank you for the responses. I trawled through the manual but it didn't match my experience. I was wondering if anyone noticed what the software thresholds were.

My bird has refused to fly before when the battery was cold. I had to warm it up (unfortunately I didn't take note at the time) but it was definitely above -10C (it can get just below freezing but not -10C here).

So....

Optimum temperature for use and charging is 20C
Don't charge below 0C or above 40C

This is clear, but I'm trying to identify the software restrictions that the battery manager enforces (so that I can care for my non DJI lipo's in the same way).

In a couple of months I will be assisting in the Race Across America (cycle race) and plan on using my bird to get some awesome footage, but we will be travelling through extreme hot and cold and I may not have the luxury of waiting too long and guess that batteries are at an appropriate temperature to fly and charge - I plan on sticking a thermometer sticker on each Lipo so that I can tell straight away if it's safe to fly or charge.

So....

Optimum temperature for use and charging is 20C
Not quite. The optimum operating temperature for your lipos is 30-35C. That is where they love to run. That's the battery temp, not the air temp.

20C is good but when you get below that (like 19C) your app may give you some warnings and may limit your thrust. 15 C is auto land I believe.

Don't let them get too hot either. When they heat up to around 45 C and start heading to 50 C, worry. They become volatile at 60C.

Good luck!

Not quite. 15 C is auto land I believe.

Don't let them get too hot either. When they heat up to around 45 C and start heading to 50 C, worry. They become volatile at 60C.

Good luck!

Thanks, do you know if there is a 'too hot' auto land?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20