Opinions requested

Reaction score
As you guys can see, this is my first post. Before I get into any details, I want to say thanks in advance.

I've been looking to make a purchase of a phantom for about a year, but spending $700+ was never even a possibility for a "toy" and much less so in the eyes of my wife!

Realizing there is much more to it than just being a toy, I've gotten the go ahead to purchase a phantom from the financial department (wife) but am now looking at what seems like too many possible options...

If you guys had $600 or so, what would you purchase in today's current market? Is purchasing a used phantom out of the question? Is a gimbal a must have?

Thanks again in advance!

Mike

Just off the top of my head, start small with a Hubsan X4 or UDI U818. I still have them both from when I first learned to fly and still like using them especially the Hubsan! If you already know how to fly then I am not the one to advise on <= $600 purchases. I have no doubt that you will get plenty of answers so hang on for a bit :)

A big part of your question is what you want to do with it?

If you just want to fly, then a basic Phantom is good. If you want to take pictures and video, on a budget, then get a Phantom Vision. Gimbal and GoPro etc runs a lot more expensive.

I do know you won't get any DJI product with a camera new with only $600. So check out ebay and remember, buyer beware. And remember this too... you'll need extra batteries, props, SD card and maybe even prop guards to begin with.

You could do what I did. I justified AU$1800 (which included some spares) for a new Phantom 2 Vision+ to my wife by saying that I plan to go commercial, which I do hope to do. But I couldn't justify a $200 case for it... well, not just yet.

If the budget is tight, (or even if it isn't) I wouldn't bother with a "training quad".
Nothing else is as easy to fly as the Phantom.
A used Phantom could be fine - or it could be a pre-crashed nightmare with hidden problems.
I'd want to at least have a demo flight with any used Phantom before deciding.

For smooth video a gimbal is essential and also comes in handy for controlling camera angle for stills - the P2V doesn't allow straight down vertical shooting but the P2V+ does.
Here's a youtube video showing the difference the gimbal makes for video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5g9Up-lqOI

I agree with dirk above. The P2V now and add a good gimbal later. It takes good stills, but stock gimbal videos are not so great. For an add on later there is a popular one that is well built and holds up in a crash and gives great steady video. The P2V+ will give you good video and stills to start with but the gimbal is very delicate and breaks in most crashes. Very expensive to replace. Agree, be careful of used quads.
Welcome to Phantom pilots.

Check out the compare thing on DJI's site... I must say I quite like the DJI site, they put alot of effort into it. It is missing a few things but much better than some other websites.

http://www.dji.com/products/compare-phantom

I am kind of jealous of the some of the aftermarket transmitters you can get for the video. like a 200mw or 500mw transmitter... The phantom only does 100mw max.

I got the vision + because I wanted something RTF. I didn't want to mess around with getting other parts like transmitters seems I was mot familiar with them. It would be different now if I was to buy one, again.

if you get something without a camera I reckon you will get bored and you will want FPV in the very near future... :]

The most valuable answer so far imv is the one from Narrator.

Stop and define what you want to do with the aircraft. That will simplify you decision, and possibly safe you money.

Personally I would certainly never but any r/c aircraft second hand. The consequences of a previous hard crash on say electronic joints or PCB tracks does not always show up when you are looking for it. I learned this the hard way with a fixed wing some years back.

I'd say if you are on a tight budget don't bother with a phantom, especially one with a camera UNLESS you want to take pics and vids. the reason being is that you are likely to bend something eventually, and if you have no RC flight experience it is likely to be sooner rather than later. if you can't afford to fix it should it go wrong it is dead money. better to get a smaller more basic quad to learn with and gain experience ,that you can also afford to fix or totally replace should the worst happen. walkera ( gets ready for flames ) or husban do some cheaper quads there is no fun in having money you can't afford to loose in a toy and find yourself too frightened to use it just in case it goes wrong.

Have you considered a used Phantom?
I wouldn't be afraid to buy used if the seller was from the forums, ideally someone local so you can have a look first.

All,
Thanks so much for the positive info! I should've mentioned that I am already an owner of a go pro hero 3 silver, so I'm avoiding the vision version as I feel the camera is a redundancy.

I'm purely looking at this from a hobby standpoint. I've read great reviews from some contractor type folks who have used the phantom to conduct surveys of worksites and roofs, etc. though I couldn't see myself filming anything professionally, somewhere far down the line, I may look into that. At this point, again, it's strictly hobby stuff.

Anyone had any experience with B&H photo video out of NYC? They offer the best prices, customer service has been helpful answering questions, and they seem to have good reviews. Additionally they offer a pretty hefty military discount.

Thanks again!

I got my new Phantom 2 with a Zenmuse H3-3D, extra battery, extra remote (new version), extra leg with compass, and a backpack case for 740. It was a Black Friday deal so you can find something close to your budget. I'm thinking of selling the other remote and leg to recoup some of the cost.

michael.reynolds1775 said:
I am already an owner of a go pro hero 3 silver, so I'm avoiding the vision version as I feel the camera is a redundancy.
I'd love a GoPro. Oh well.

The diff between a Phantom Vision and a Phantom with a GoPro is the amount of control you can afford.

With a Vision, you can see what you're capturing, take pictures, turn the video on and off, tilt the camera (Vision+) etc.
With a GoPro attached, you set it to start filming and hope you get some good stuff.
Alternatively, for several hundred more, you can get a FPV setup where you can see and control your GoPro.

Yes B&H is a very good place to buy !

I purchased my Phantom 2 v.2 with gimbal from B&H for Christmas and they were excellent. I would highly recommend them.

michael.reynolds1775 said:
Anyone had any experience with B&H photo video out of NYC? They offer the best prices, customer service has been helpful answering questions, and they seem to have good reviews. Additionally they offer a pretty hefty military discount.

Hi...I bought my V2+ through B&H along with many, many things over the decades.....so B&H is a very reputable place to go.

As to your question.....as said before, define your use. You already have a camera and there are many models to choose from that will accept yours......quads are mostly easy and fun fun to fly.....add a camera and you will get some unique pictures that your finance company (wife) will surely enjoy which will give her a return on the investment.

Stay away from the potential problems of a used quad....it may be a great buy, but.....

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy most of all.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj