Operating like a licensed pilot

Reaction score
Having suffered a fault (app lost connection, remote lost all recognsiable control, see other thread) resulting in a crash which was not avoidable (dji now sending a new bird under warranty) it occurred to me that I need to protect myself.

I check the p3a before it goes up, double check the props, look for cracks, check the batteries I never fly straight away to ensure there are as many satellites connected, set the home point in a good location, weather, etc, etc.

This is not a toy and I have never looked at it as such. I am photographer and this is another tool with which I work ok the stuff I am shooting is for me right now while I evaluate if paying the £1000 to get PFAW is worth investing.

Anyway it has occurred to me that with the falling from the sky, fly away issues etc that it will be down to luck if there is no incident resulting in injury and damage. Therefore if I want to avoid prosecution (if something did happen) I need to be able to backup my claims I operate in a safe in professional way.

To that end I can only see that operating as if I had PFAW with an operations manual, creating written flight check logs, post flight logs etc etc.

There have been a couple of arrests in the UK with the 50m rule being applied where no incident occurred and I think with the proliferation and popularity of taking to the air there will be more and the police here will intervene more. My personal experience of police and in correctly interpreting the terrorism act powers I have learned that they get it wrong.

So demonstrating you are working to conditions of PFAW with documentation may just protect your ***. Lets face it if you have a fly away, which caused a fatality eg caused a car crash do you thik DJI are not going to find the slightest flaw on your bird or the way you use it to move the liability from them!

Insurance protects you from a financial liability but will not stop you being criminally negligent. Documentation and logs will go a long way to demonstrating you operate safely.

So if anyone can point me in the direction of a template for the manual it would be much appreciated.

If you are in the UK, consider joining the BMFA (British Model Flying Asso), they provide insurance and legal services for recreational use of models and drones in the UK.

Reactions: Neon Euc
Thanks I certainly will do that now, never heard of them so perfect response. Thanks

If you don't belong to a club, you can join as a Country Member. Just remember that their insurance only covers you if you are flying within the rules!

Reactions: Philltayl

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic