Opening the box

Reaction score
Hi Guy's my first post on here so be gentle with me. Christmas day and my wife has got me a Phantom fc40 brand new in the box. Do I have to go on the net. and download anything before I can fly (apart from putting it all together and going through the flight checks). Should I fit prop guards???.Do I leave my transmitter at 300ft or adjust from the back to 500ft.
I have got the fc40 camera working just fine.

I am 65 and a bit intimidated by all the things I am supposed to do. I have downloaded the manual.

:roll: :roll:

renagade said:
Hi Guy's my first post on here so be gentle with me. Christmas day and my wife has got me a Phantom fc40 brand new in the box. Do I have to go on the net. and download anything before I can fly (apart from putting it all together and going through the flight checks). Should I fit prop guards???.Do I leave my transmitter at 300ft or adjust from the back to 500ft.
I have got the fc40 camera working just fine.

I am 65 and a bit intimidated by all the things I am supposed to do. I have downloaded the manual.

:roll: :roll:

Real quick. I'm older then you (67) dont be intimidated. There is 'The Ultimate guide' on this site. EXCELLENT read. Watch the tons of videos on you tube. Read the guide again. Do all of the software and firmware upgrades. Read the guide again. Most here suggest NOT to install prop guards. Creates more issues then solves. Read the guide again. Go Fly. Have fun

Pretty straight forward to be honest. Plug it in to your computer and after downloading and opening the NAZA assistant, do a compass calibration if it needs it. If not, do some research and decide on weather or not to unlock IOC/NAZA. You don't need this to fly, but it gives you more control. Otherwise, charge everything, make sure you know what the LED flashes mean, take out the FC40, calibrate it in the field and fly away :)

I don't see a plug for the micro usb on the handheld controller so does that mean I don't have to plug any thing in to adjust , only plug the phantom in and see what happens, or infact do I really need to start messing about with the hand held controller. Full of snow to day here in Doncaster so will keep reading until it dry's out.

There is a Micro-USB port on the transmitter. But for some reason, it's inside. So you will have to open it up to gain access to it. It's easy though. That said, when I got my FC40 (Just the other day) I plugged it (The Phantom) into my computer and in the NAZA assistant software, it showed everything as updated already. So I haven't bothered with the transmitter as I suspect it's the same.

I have searched in vain got that "ultimate guide" unsuccessfully several times. I have read otherostings of other people that cannot find it. After reading all the replies in this post, I tried ultimate guide in search, and was directed to this current post. Can anyone help me with this? Thank you.

Pardon my terrible typing, " got" should have been for, and otherostings should have been, other postings.

Read and reread the manual, please... is my advice. Don't assume it is out of the box flying.

Some tips:
-Beware you needs to download the dji driver first onto your computer befor the assistant software. Otherwize your pc will not be able to install that sw.
-Always callibrate the compass ( do the callibration dance) when you fly in an new area.
-Have some patience when starting up the bird and give it the opertunity to lock sufficuent satelites and set its homepoint.
- Start practising flying in an open area using just the gps mode only before trying other modes.
- After 10+ flights or so it is advisable to practise some Att mode flying as this is the mode the bird goes in automatically if you loose gps lock for some reason.
- Be confident but not overconfident and use your control-sticks gentle as a habit; This prevents lots of pilot - error crashes as they where reported on this forum.
-Considers using prop-gards at least during the first 10 flight in any new flying mode; this despite some contraversial advise on this forum. ( I am using them now for 50+ flights with now problems what so ever and haven't lost/damaged any prop.
[emoji106] Happy flying[emoji106]
Regards FA

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers