Only Getting 600'-900' Control Range

Reaction score
I am in FCC mode, but seem to only be getting 600'-900' (at very best, usually closer to 600'-700') control range (in all directions) before I it goes into RTH mode. I have flown around 12 flights so far, and have never crashed or damaged anything. When flying, I am in a park in a somewhat rural area. According to the manual, I should be getting 800m in open space, which would be closer to 2600'.

Is there something I could be doing wrong, or something I could do to improve the range?

iGot2Fly said:
I am in FCC mode, but seem to only be getting 600'-900' (at very best, usually closer to 600'-700') control range (in all directions) before I it goes into RTH mode. I have flown around 12 flights so far, and have never crashed or damaged anything. When flying, I am in a park in a somewhat rural area. According to the manual, I should be getting 800m in open space, which would be closer to 2600'.

Is there something I could be doing wrong, or something I could do to improve the range?

Is your controller antenna pointing straight up (perpendicular to the ground). In other words with the side of it facing the Phantom? 600-700' is way short of FCC or CE mode. Batteries good and strong in the controller? You can check the voltage in the PC assistant. 6V or greater would be good. Two antennae on the Phantom legs look ok? Maybe check if they are loose inside the body if all else fails? All I can think of right now.

I have had my phantom a week. I have about 15-20 flights on it. I previously tested the range and got about 1650 feet. I wasn't that impressed but I thought it wasn't terrible. I had my antenna (transmitter) laying sideways as I had read somewhere that this way the best way to have it. I was also flying at approximately 200 feet height if I recall. The video feed and the RC control went out about the same distance.

Today I did some more range tests. I put the control antenna facing up (not straight out from the controller, but bent facing up). I think this position with the stock antenna is no worse that having it turned 90 degrees to either side, but by my results today it may be a much better position. I flew at 400 feet height today which may actually be the key. At this height there was always direct line of sight even though at some point I could not see the Phantom. With my earlier test at 200 feet height, I can't be sure that I always had line of sight although I think I would have based upon my flying location. Anyway, today I got between 3500-3600 ft before losing control. I still had video feed. Then it went out and control came back, and then finally the Phantom went into return to home mode and I regained video shortly. Needless to say I was ecstatic with 3500 feet at 400 feet height. Simply Incredible!

Rob

BlackTracer said:
iGot2Fly said:

Is your controller antenna pointing straight up (perpendicular to the ground). In other words with the side of it facing the Phantom? 600-700' is way short of FCC or CE mode. Batteries good and strong in the controller? You can check the voltage in the PC assistant. 6V or greater would be good. Two antennae on the Phantom legs look ok? Maybe check if they are loose inside the body if all else fails? All I can think of right now.

Yes, the antennas are good, and I just checked my controller batteries and I am at 5.7v, which is not far off of the 6v total. I do, however have my controller antenna sticking straight up behind my Nexus 7 tablet which I am using for FPV. The only wireless turned on on it is just the Wifi, no blue tooth or 4G (not sure if that would make a difference)

Does anyone have any more ideas for this? I am starting to wonder if I should submit an RMA to DJI (only as a last resort)

iGot2Fly said:
Does anyone have any more ideas for this? I am starting to wonder if I should submit an RMA to DJI (only as a last resort)

You might try opening the controller and verifying that the antenna connector is securely attached, then open the Phantom and do the same, ensuring both antenna are routed down two of the legs. Like any product, there are good ones and bad ones. You may have a weak transmitter or receiver. You are getting extremely poor distance. If the problem persists, I would request to send it in to have the transmitter & receiver checked.

Some ideas...

Distance is very location dependent. It's best if you're on a hill, or a slight rise without any bushes or trees between you and the Phantom. Flying higher than 300 feet is good, and at a distance 400 feet is even better most times. It's the pattern of the antennas that come into play here. Another thought is interference. Whenever I fly in a direction where there are power lines within a couple hundred feet of me, I will see a big cut in distance. Another factor is WiFi interference. Flying over a neighborhood with lots of homes at less than a couple hundred feet, home WiFi can become strong enough to cut your connection too.

iGot2Fly said:
I think your wifi extender must be model RE500, which is for vision, not RE700, which is for vision plus. Check your extender model at the back.

yali said:
iGot2Fly said:
I think your wifi extender must be model RE500, which is for vision, not RE700, which is for vision plus. Check your extender model at the back.

Another thought: does your controller have an USB port ? if not, got to be someone replaced your controller with a vision's model

The extender has nothing to do with control range, it's used for FPV with the DJI app. I have to reiterate the previous comment about the position of your controller antenna. I was having this same problem when I first got my phantom. The manual makes it look like you have it pointing straight up out of the controller aimed at your phantom. In that configuration I was getting the control distance you mentioned. After reading these forums, I found that you had to bend the antenna 90 degrees, either perpendicular to the plane of the remote or parallel to it. With that my control distance went to 2000+ feet before RTH. You said you have your antenna pointing straight up behind your tablet. Define "straight up" because that could be your problem.

Hi, I have a same problem. I got the Phantom 2 V+ before 5 days. I fly every day 2 -4 times (with 2 battery).
I lost control signal on 80-100m over my "home point". In distance, today, I lost control on <200 m and 70 m height.
I tried to move the antenna in different positions but always get the same result.
I contact DJI 2 times - by the web using "Report a problem" and via direct e-mail to support. But, no answer!!!!

Second problem is short fly. Max 15 min.!?!?!? Always...

A third problem is FPV. Some days it's fine and some days only after 10-20 seconds the picture freezes on my mobile.

Can anybody help me????

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20