Only flown up 150ft so far

Reaction score
Hay all!! Ok well like the title says, 150ft is my max height achievement so far. Ha! And even then I was like, "OMG OMG OMG!!!" Hahhaa

I'm a super noob at drones and I'm actually a bit paranoid to make it fly too high right now. When will I come out of this shell!? Lol!!

In all honesty, I'm really trying to build up a comfort level of flying before I push barriers. How long were you flying low and slow before you started to feel comfortable enough to push your limits? Thanks all in advance! ;)

My first day I flew in beginner mode, if you think 150ft looks high, wait til you see it at 400ft. You will be impressed. Keep flying safe and at your own pace. Took me a few days to fly my phantom out far...Goodluck.

Hay all!! Ok well like the title says, 150ft is my max height achievement so far. Ha! And even then I was like, "OMG OMG OMG!!!" Hahhaa

I'm a super noob at drones and I'm actually a bit paranoid to make it fly too high right now. When will I come out of this shell!? Lol!!

In all honesty, I'm really trying to build up a comfort level of flying before I push barriers. How long were you flying low and slow before you started to feel comfortable enough to push your limits? Thanks all in advance! ;)

Two red prop guards make it more visible till you get used to the spec.
Slow makes it easier to get disoriented in drones orientation. Flying forward gives you a reference to 'front'. At least my helicopters have a tail rotor pointing away from front when hovering.
Guess a variable pitch prop will be next step for acrobatics with drone so you can pitch nose up for loops. They had them back in '70's for r/c planes.
or a tilt motor design, pivot entire motor to change thrust direction like the camera gimble under each motor. Variable pitch blade would allow inverted flight after numerous rebuilds though, and drone stability software will have to be rewritten to allow for another axis of flight orientation.

Guess a variable pitch prop will be next step for acrobatics with drone so you can pitch nose up for loops.

Oh yea.

The P2s in Manual mode could be looped.
Manual Mode was discontinued in future Phantoms.

The CP-quads have been around a while if you Google it.

Slow makes it easier to get disoriented in drones orientation. Flying forward gives you a reference to 'front'. At least my helicopters have a tail rotor pointing away from front when hovering.
Guess a variable pitch prop will be next step for acrobatics with drone so you can pitch nose up for loops. They had them back in '70's for r/c planes.
or a tilt motor design, pivot entire motor to change thrust direction like the camera gimble under each motor. Variable pitch blade would allow inverted flight after numerous rebuilds though, and drone stability software will have to be rewritten to allow for another axis of flight orientation.
Yeah OK

Oh yea.

The P2s in Manual mode could be looped.
Manual Mode was discontinued in future Phantoms.

The CP-quads have been around a while if you Google it.

One of the reasons I haven't updated the firmware from 1.3 on the P3 drone. I want the back door into it through ssh. I am curious if they went with real time linux for software, or just stripped everything out to slow possible lag.

I remember staying under 100 feet for at least 2 weeks. After that I found that I stair stepped 100-150-200-300 etc. For me it now depends on what I am filming... I still make sure that every outing I also practice my precision flying and smooth filming objects at 50'

Reactions: microraptor
You can also use the flight simulator on the dji app to help you get some stick time, and use to all the controls, and features with the phantom. Good luck, and fly safe[emoji106][emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

That had nothing to do with what he was asking[emoji848]

Reactions: toddster
Ya know, when I first went to private pilot's school I got nervous once we got up above the average 2,000' pattern for touch-and-go practice where we just did take-offs and landings forever. At some point it seemed natural (or boring), and one day the CFI guy got out and stood by the runaway while I did some more of those T&G's later on.

Then we went up to 10,000 feet and I could not let go of the yoke even though the instructor told me to. Looking out the window at the ground was like "Holy crap!" Then he kept asking my name, etc. and my high-altitude nerves were shot and I couldn't answer him. After a few hours of that high-altitude crap, I got over it. Probably why the FAA required 40 hours of inflight training back then too - and often more if the CFI thought you weren't ready.

No doubt you (The OP.) will overcome the fear of drone heights and distance in time. It might take you 40 hours too. Even to this day when I hear the thing buzzing overhead and look up at it, it is a bit disturbing, disorienting, or maybe even nauseating for some reason. Maybe after 80 hours drone time for me....

Hang in there!

Reactions: cstout
Hang in there and build up your confidence is good advice. I'm pretty conservative and being my second phantom, had a reasonable idea of what the pitfalls were from previous experience. It has taken me a few months to fully trust the technology and understand what can and can't be done. Took mine out yesterday for a puckering 3000 mtr flight at 350 mtrs high to see how far I could get before my knees started buckling and brought it back. I need that sort of height to clear the forest canopy and before I get flogged for going that high, the nearest airport is 30 Kim's away and I live in an area where the only things in the sky are the birds and me.

Reactions: Slackware
Wow it's great to see that I'm not alone in my slow creep to the sky! I love flying my drone and really look forward to the heights some of you have hit so far!! These drones are really an incredible piece of technology and it's great to know that I've barely even scratched the surface of what they're capable of!!

Wow it's great to see that I'm not alone in my slow creep to the sky! I love flying my drone and really look forward to the heights some of you have hit so far!! These drones are really an incredible piece of technology and it's great to know that I've barely even scratched the surface of what they're capable of!!

You're right, I've got nothing on some of those in the forum and probably only use half of the features that are available. Hell of a lot of fun and a great learning experience, especially hearing the buzz from the drone as it comes back overhead after another one of my stupid litchi missions.

Hang in there and build up your confidence is good advice. I'm pretty conservative and being my second phantom, had a reasonable idea of what the pitfalls were from previous experience. It has taken me a few months to fully trust the technology and understand what can and can't be done. Took mine out yesterday for a puckering 3000 mtr flight at 350 mtrs high to see how far I could get before my knees started buckling and brought it back. I need that sort of height to clear the forest canopy and before I get flogged for going that high, the nearest airport is 30 Kim's away and I live in an area where the only things in the sky are the birds and me.
I found a new pucker option. I let my child fly it today in the yard. Even the dji care paperwork in safe didn't help. Would be nice to have trainer cord option like I have for the planes so you can take over. But he did ok.
I tucked into some trees tonight for a shot. Video shows branches all around the camera. Glad I wasn't watching the phone display.
Then reenacted animal house and hovered outside bedroom window, then hopped over to next one. I was off almost 3/4ths the window frame when I watched video though, but window trim looks nice.

I found a new pucker option. I let my child fly it today in the yard. Even the dji care paperwork in safe didn't help. Would be nice to have trainer cord option like I have for the planes so you can take over. But he did ok.
I tucked into some trees tonight for a shot. Video shows branches all around the camera. Glad I wasn't watching the phone display.
Then reenacted animal house and hovered outside bedroom window, then hopped over to next one. I was off almost 3/4ths the window frame when I watched video though, but window trim looks nice.

I can't bring myself to hand over the controls to anyone at the moment , my teenage daughter asked for a crack at it and I broke out into a sweat. I've seen how she drives her car... Having said that when my goggles turn up I'll stick them on her head so she can share the experience without touching anything

Its a bit nerve racking at first but building up confidence is the key. For me it was the thought of how much it cost if it was lost that scared me. Its always in the back of my mind but they are just so much fun to fly.

I've got to say that I just moved from a P3S to the P4 and the price tag alone on it has given me a new anxiety. It was bittersweet going from the excitement of opening the box and getting it ready to fly...and then feeling anxious during the entire first and second flights. I'm sure it'll get better with time but I was not expecting such a drastic change in mindset from flying the new one.

It's been a bit windy (not bad for the drone though it's pretty good with wind) but when I was young I watched an RC plane my dad was flying get caught in the wind and I watched this plane struggle against this headwind after getting over the forest that backs our house and it couldn't fight it and it zipped past the trees and it took my dad hours to find it (it was in rough shape when he found it) and that scene replays in my head with my P3s and it gives me serious anxiety I recently got up to like 250-300 feet and was scared to go higher

Reactions: cstout

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20