Online P4 Checklist - Soliciting Feedback

Reaction score
Hey Guys/Gals,

I'm putting together a comprehensive checklist and making it into a web form that can then generate a PDF document and email to specified email address. I've done lots of google searches on pre-flight checklist, and just wanted to get some feedback on if what i have is to much and if i have missed anything and if my methodology makes sense.

If i can get this to work like i want too, i'll post the link in the forum for public use. :)

Not necessarily P4 specific, but that's what i'm basing my checklist on.

Thanks in advance for the feedback!!

Departure
FAA UAS Certificate of Registration is available (digitally or printed)
Proof of Liability Insurance (if applicable)
Formatted and Empty MicroSD Card(s), properly inserted
Verify Battery Levels for Drone, RC, and Portable Device
Validate Latest Firmware
Validate Flight Location(s) (No-Fly Zones, TFRs, NOTAMs, VFR Map)
Verify Weather Forecast (uavforecast.com)
Inspect Hull
Inspect Gimbal and Camera
Inspect Landing Gear
Inspect Prop Mounts
Inspect & Clean Props.
Inspect Prop Motors for Debris
Inspect Battery Connection Points
Inspect & Clean Camera Lens/Filters
Inspect RC Case
Inspect RC Sticks
Inspect RC Device Holder
Inspect RC Antennas

Onsite Survey
Identify Possible RF Interference
Identify Potential Obstacles
Identify Possible Danger (children/animals running around, etc)
Verify Weather meets Expectations (uavforecast.com)
Verify Flight Plan

Pre-Flight Prep
Remove Gimbal Guard
Change Camera Filter (if applicable)
Install Fully Charged Battery
Position Drone on Firm, Level Surface Safe for Prop Motor Test
Mount Portable Device to RC
Connect Portable Device to RC with USB Cable
Power on RC
Open Flight App
Properly Orient RC Antennas
Power On Drone
Power on Props with Combined Stick Command (CSC) - NO PROPS ATTACHED
Verify Prop Motors Operation (no weird sounds, vibrations,etc)
Power off Props. Wait for Prop Motors to Spin Down
Power Off Drone
Install Props Securely
Position Drone on Firm, Level Surface Safe for Takeoff/Landing
Power On Drone - DO NOT START MOTORS

Pre-Flight Takeoff
Verify Max Altitude for Location
Verify RTH Altitude for Location (10M clearance above highest obstacle in flight area)
Verify GPS Satellites Locked (min. 12, recommend 16)
Verify Home Point is Set Accuretly
Verify Battery Readings w/ No Errors (DJI Go App - Ensure no greater than .2V between battery cells )
Verify Compass Calibration. Calibrate if New Site.
Verify Elevation Reading is 0
Verify Gimbal Control is Unobstructed
Verify Obstacle Avoidance System is On (if applicable)
Verify Flight Mode
Start Video Recording (if applicable)

Takeoff
Verify Launch Site is Clear for Takeoff
Power on Props with Combined Stick Command (CSC)
Takeoff and Hover at approx. 5-10ft AGL
Verify Drone is Stable for 10-15 Seconds in Hover
Check Flight Controls. Gently Move each Stick, One at a Time to Verify Expected Movement
Execute Flight Plan

I think that perhaps what you really have is two checklists. One that is more routine maintenance and stuff you do at home and one that is more a preflight checklist.

I think that perhaps what you really have is two checklists. One that is more routine maintenance and stuff you do at home and one that is more a preflight checklist.
I can see that. The Departure heading is meant to be done at some point before leaving for the flight. Everything else, in all it excruciating detail, is meant for onsite pre-flight.

For the Departure checklist, is that something that is only done periodically, or something done at some point before each flight? I definitely want a thorough checklist, but don't want to waste time on tasks that may can be done at less frequent intervals.

Scott. This is exactly what I have been looking for. Each segment could be laminated and then placed on a ring. Therefore, you could flip to the next section. Keep all of it. This is serious business for us soon-to-be 107 pilots. Maybe add some aeronatical decision making items (point of the mission, drugs/alcohol/stress, fatigue.) Stuff to keep u sharp. If something should happen you have some defense in a legal case. Merely indicating you have safety procedures in place may help mitigate damages against wreckless flying charges. Just my opinion. Thanks for doing this.

Sent from my SM-G930V using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Scott Hawks
I would say, open the box, pull the Phantom install props, switch on, wait for satellite and off you go. The way I've been flying for years without incident.

Reactions: Kamloops
I think the op just ruined the hoby for me. Wow I always say fly safe and know your aircraft but good grief. Just the time and energy it would take to write this. Why? Read your manual and watch YouTube setup videos. Registration is personal preference imo. I haven't and not one of the three officers I've had contact with said anything about it. If you want to fly with friends use common sense and toss that pdf in the trash bin.

Reactions: marcel79 and Erik B
'Common sense' is the least common of ALL the senses! (in ANY subject)

It appears Scott is just trying to be helpful. Nothing is gained by having the attitude of 'stuff the world. I'll do as I like'.

The legal profession will hang you out for breakfast if you don't try to cover your arse!

Just my opinion for what it's worth, if you don't agree well so be it.

So, for clarity, I'm writing the checklist for business purposes. I understand from a hobbyist standpoint, it's way overkill. But from a business standpoint, you can never be to detail oriented from a legal perspective. If i'm flying a project, and crash into a million dollar home causing damage to that home, i want all my bases covered.

You might want to add if you have modded your controller with a range extender with amps make sure you power up the amps. I forget quite often and you lose signal within 500 ft.

So, for clarity, I'm writing the checklist for business purposes. I understand from a hobbyist standpoint, it's way overkill. But from a business standpoint, you can never be to detail oriented from a legal perspective. If i'm flying a project, and crash into a million dollar home causing damage to that home, i want all my bases covered.

It's unfortunate all the red tape and restrictions . My advice is to actually spend time focusing on your business whatever it takes. Uber Google ect all have self driving cars operational now maybe in a lane right next to you. An accidental crash is not going to do much damage to a house with your drone. If there is time left in the day to actually do your job the proceeds hopefully cover the damage if any.

'Common sense' is the least common of ALL the senses! (in ANY subject)

It appears Scott is just trying to be helpful. Nothing is gained by having the attitude of 'stuff the world. I'll do as I like'.

The legal profession will hang you out for breakfast if you don't try to cover your arse!

Just my opinion for what it's worth, if you don't agree well so be it.

No I do agree about the legal profession only I just don't care or worry about they will or maybe won't do you know? Corruption to the core everywhere in government. It's so bad it's inconceivable to the average person what's actually happing. So no I did not pay 5 bucks to be put on another list some where. In regard to our smaller drones with responsible pilots mass non compliance is critical.

I have checklists like this written into my SFOC from Transport Canada, not quite as extensive as this, but essentially the same.

The one thing I was taught as part of the Pre-flight is to install the props, continue on with your checks and than have a check to go back and double check your prop installation, by another member of your team or yourself if alone. The props are crucial to flight of course so to double check this item is something I do.

Hi Scott,

You might want regroup and use separate sheet for all checks that can be done in advance prior going to field. Aim for minimal check list at operation, just think about stress factor if operating publicly. Typically you would rather check at "home" props mounts metal fatigue and screws as requiring close inspection.
I'm sure you'll balance that basis common sense.

Not sure we want to test motors without props, go App might anyway report some malfunction. Engines are not designed to run without load, you know that. Visual inspection of motor cage firmly in place and couple of turns by hand should work.

Also
Not sure I have seen, mainly - at field

- review highest suroundings and set accordingly RTH altitude - give some margin as altitude reading might become wrong during flight
- review/set higher distance and altitude
- check IMU1 and IMU2 values are low (IMU2 can be slighlty higher) (at field of course)
- enable or disable OA (depends scenario)
- re re re check props mounted, some lost during flight, yes including me!

+ after run and storage recommendations
- don't let props mounted after flight
- don't store props in a way they can bend

And one off stuff examples
- review auto-discharge days settings (note with current battery firmware the countdown managed by battery processor is reset if pressing battery button)
- Review settings not back to default after firmware update

Hope helpful to you.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Hi Scott,

You might want regroup and use separate sheet for all checks that can be done in advance prior going to field. Aim for minimal check list at operation, just think about stress factor if operating publicly. Typically you would rather check at "home" props mounts metal fatigue and screws as requiring close inspection.
I'm sure you'll balance that basis common sense.

Not sure we want to test motors without props, go App might anyway report some malfunction. Engines are not designed to run without load, you know that. Visual inspection of motor cage firmly in place and couple of turns by hand should work.

Also
Not sure I have seen, mainly - at field

- review highest suroundings and set accordingly RTH altitude - give some margin as altitude reading might become wrong during flight
- review/set higher distance and altitude
- check IMU1 and IMU2 values are low (IMU2 can be slighlty higher) (at field of course)
- enable or disable OA (depends scenario)
- re re re check props mounted, some lost during flight, yes including me!

+ after run and storage recommendations
- don't let props mounted after flight
- don't store props in a way they can bend

And one off stuff examples
- review auto-discharge days settings (note with current battery firmware the countdown managed by battery processor is reset if pressing battery button)
- Review settings not back to default after firmware update

Hope helpful to you.

Thanks for the feedback!! Just a quick note on checking motors with no props, this is a recommended pre-flight check as per this video from DJI.

I agree, the checklist needs to be split up into 2 different list.

Ok Scott got it. Only iddle and short period. Otherwise can damage bearings.

Here is my first iteration of the predeparture checklist form. It generates a pdf, and emails it to you.

** Note - for some reason, office 365 hosted email, and outlook.com email don't accept the email. sending it from php mail() function.

For those that care, let me know what you think.

Thanks.

Pre-Departure Checklist

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4