One-to-One Paid Mentor/Adviser Roles

Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking to do some research. Are there any professional drone pilots who would be interested in becoming paid mentors to prospective professional drone pilots.

For example, a pilot in Denver offers a paid hourly mentorship to someone in Miami who wants to become a professional drone pilot. The payment would be approximately $50 for 1 hour of mentorship.

What are peoples thoughts on this please

Are there any professional drone pilots who would be interested in becoming paid mentors to prospective professional drone pilots.
Not a professional by any stretch, however if you would like an opinion, I would just say that "mentor-ship" is a complete waste of time and money. Some skills cannot be tought. Basic skills for photography and flying techniques, possibly yes. There are just too many variable's on what a "professional" pilot may want to accomplish. The fees would vary to quite an extent. It would depend on what the pilot wanted to do. Is he interested in cinematography? Mapping? Etc..etc.. Not only would this require app, per app training, it would be in addition to flying skills, and general to advanced photography skills. The market as I see it today is quite flooded and a "student" would be wasting their own time and money when this could be done on a step by step basis on their own. Bottom line, just not a great idea IMHO. Specific skills AFTER basics, then a possibility. Otherwise no.

I do "Paid Instruction" in sUAS operations but just on aspects of learning to fly in a safe and legal way. I don't teach "photography" etc. I teach the individual how to fly and I can teach from any level. I tell my clients, "When it comes to level of instruction I'll meet you where you are and help you to get where you want to be."

I have several friends who work for Flightsafety Boeing, or are flight safety engineers at Boeing. THEY ALL SAY THE SAME THING: The number one skill to develop in aviation is "judgement" and judgement can NOT be taught. This is why aviation accident rates plummet after a pilot reaches 500 hours of flight time. The only way to become a better drone pilot is through air time....and no amount of mentoring or training will replace that. I know people love shortcuts, but this is one area where shortcuts are not possible.

I'd split it up into several disciplines. "Flying" is just part of it. Understanding the drone and the software insures safe, reliable operation. Understanding "the FAA basics" is another facet. How to handle deliverables, photography basics are a couple others, and on and on. Each one of these facets, on its own, has MANY caveats and hoops to jump through. In other words, no way could it be taught in an hour. Not saying you suggested this, but I think if you tell potential students that they may need 4 or 5 sessions, it will give them a more realistic idea of what they need to invest monetarily and chronologically.

I have several friends who work for Flightsafety Boeing, or are flight safety engineers at Boeing. THEY ALL SAY THE SAME THING: The number one skill to develop in aviation is "judgement" and judgement can NOT be taught. This is why aviation accident rates plummet after a pilot reaches 500 hours of flight time. The only way to become a better drone pilot is through air time....and no amount of mentoring or training will replace that. I know people love shortcuts, but this is one area where shortcuts are not possible.

Huh? So you're saying that learning solid and safe flight maneuvers and practices does NOT help a new pilot/operator? I'm sorry but I can't buy into that philosophy in the least. No you can't force good judgement onto a person but you can teach them how to handle certain situations and how NOT to handle them.

You do realize that EVERY pilot trying to reach the 500hr mark has been given one-on-one training prior to getting even their PPL? Even after I earned my PPL (1998) I still enlisted the help and guidance of my CFI several times over the years to help learn advanced attitudes, emergency maneuvers, instrument training and more.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
I'd split it up into several disciplines. "Flying" is just part of it. Understanding the drone and the software insures safe, reliable operation. Understanding "the FAA basics" is another facet. How to handle deliverables, photography basics are a couple others, and on and on. Each one of these facets, on its own, has MANY caveats and hoops to jump through. In other words, no way could it be taught in an hour. Not saying you suggested this, but I think if you tell potential students that they may need 4 or 5 sessions, it will give them a more realistic idea of what they need to invest monetarily and chronologically.

Very well said.

I have several friends who work for Flightsafety Boeing, or are flight safety engineers at Boeing. THEY ALL SAY THE SAME THING: The number one skill to develop in aviation is "judgement" and judgement can NOT be taught.
You do know what comes before "Judgement" do you not? The vast majority of incidents, if you will, occur from pure lack of "Common Sense" No training, regulations, rules, procedures etc....can preclude that. I would go on in to great detail, but I find that a waste of time. Being trained and experienced in all aspects of safety regulations, specifically flight line and explosives among other entities also by Boeing, "Common Sense" was and is always the #1 mitigating factor. Just a point of note.

You do know what comes before "Judgement" do you not? The vast majority of incidents, if you will, occur from pure lack of "Common Sense" No training, regulations, rules, procedures etc....can preclude that. I would go on in to great detail, but I find that a waste of time. Being trained and experienced in all aspects of safety regulations, specifically flight line and explosives among other entities also by Boeing, "Common Sense" was and is always the #1 mitigating factor. Just a point of note.

Going out on a limb...

I think he's saying that you can teach a guy what the joysticks and software do in 10 minutes. But ultimately practicing flying for HOURS is the only real way to learn how to be a better pilot.

10 minutes huh? That’s only enough time to get 1% of what you need to know.

I’ve been flying commercial aircraft for over 35 YEARS, and my little Phantom drone for only about 5 years. And I’m still learning more about both everyday.

10 minutes might get you through the first page on the Phantom Drone manual. There are many more pages to read, understand, and put into practice.

Knowledge is the key......practice makes perfect. There is no time limit to learn safe flight.

10 minutes huh? That’s only enough time to get 1% of what you need to know.

I’ve been flying commercial aircraft for over 35 YEARS, and my little Phantom drone for only about 5 years. And I’m still learning more about both everyday.

10 minutes might get you through the first page on the Phantom Drone manual. There are many more pages to read, understand, and put into practice.

Knowledge is the key......practice makes perfect. There is no time limit to learn safe flight.

It depends. I assume students who have never flown before. Teach them the controls. Give them a cheap drone and practice flying for a few hours. Are these advanced students who already know how to fly? Are we teaching a 101 class or a 102 or 201 advanced class??? "Prospective potential pilots" can mean anything. Perhaps some clarification is in order?

It depends. I assume students who have never flown before. Teach them the controls. Give them a cheap drone and practice flying for a few hours. Are these advanced students who already know how to fly? Are we teaching a 101 class or a 102 or 201 advanced class??? "Prospective potential pilots" can mean anything. Perhaps some clarification is in order?

Yep HD, I was agreeing with your point in post #10. Flight training can range from basic to advanced. Depends upon the student I suppose.

Reactions: Harleydude

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj