One solitary red flash

Reaction score
Yesterday on my first flight I got the batch of self checking flashes as normal. Them the regular green flashes for GPS mode, followed by the first batch of rapid green flashes setting the course lock. As it returned to the green flashes for GPS there was one single red flash. Them green and them the second batch of rapid green setting the home position. Is it likely this single red was where it briefly detected less than 7 satellites, and them it picked up 7 or more? After that there was no further red flashes and the flight went without incident. But as I am still wary about what "could" happen I note any changes I have not seen before. Also is it unusual to have never "so far" had any yellow IMU warm up lights? The UK is not that warm particulary at this time of the year!

1) if you have ever watched the satellite signal strength panel of a live GPS module you will see many satellite lock-strengths bounding up and down and temporary drop-outs. So it really doesn't bother me to see a single red once in awhile while on the ground....or even while flying. Generally, the signal strengths get better once you get up in the air anyway. Just so long as you got home lock. If you should fly into a satellite-shaded area...and suddenly loose enough satellites to disable GPS mode you'll just be in ATTI mode which is not THAT different. After some initial GPS flying you should experiment with ATII anyway. It is smoother flying, for video, and gives you a longer battery life.....less self-correcting as your birds drifts with momentum or wind. You need to be more pro-active and on-your-toes control-wise......stay "ahead" of the bird and direct it continuously rather than react to what is happening, but flying ATTI is a step forward up the flying-control learning curve.

I have NO idea why you are not seeing yellow warm-up lights. So, once you plug in the battery and it tweedles, there are NO LIGHTS WHATSOEVER for a minute or two until the green GPS-lock signals start?? Before your flight, getting GPS signals, what happens of you flip it into ATTI mode......SHOULD get flashing yellow.

Unless someone else recognizes your situation, video your lights after plug-in and post it for us to see.

fly-catchers said:
Yesterday on my first flight I got the batch of self checking flashes as normal. Them the regular green flashes for GPS mode, followed by the first batch of rapid green flashes setting the course lock. As it returned to the green flashes for GPS there was one single red flash. Them green and them the second batch of rapid green setting the home position. Is it likely this single red was where it briefly detected less than 7 satellites, and them it picked up 7 or more? After that there was no further red flashes and the flight went without incident. But as I am still wary about what "could" happen I note any changes I have not seen before. Also is it unusual to have never "so far" had any yellow IMU warm up lights? The UK is not that warm particulary at this time of the year!

One red flash means you had at least 6 satellites. You got more than 6 and the red flash went away. It is not unusual to drop a satellite every now and then.

You are not seeing yellow warm up lights because you are in GPS mode. Attitude mode gives yellow warm up lights.

miskatonic,
I ALWAYS start my sequence in GPS mode....and ALWAYS have periodic yellow flashing until it is warmed up and then the GPS greens start.

Soooo....what you are saying is maybe you have the same thing as the OP...if he is in ATTI mode. Mine (V1.0) is different. Maybe this is a version/firmware difference???

So far I have always booted up my Phantom in GPS mode. And after the "music" and checking led sequence it goes straight to steady green flashes, followed shortly by the first batch of rapid green flashes. Will try booting in ATTI mode and see what happens. I have flown for brief periods in ATTI mode and allowed the craft to coast along in the wind. And intend to do longer flights in that mode. And perhaps one day manual mode as well.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20