One simple question

Reaction score
I have read on a few different posts contradicting information to this one question; can you remove the firmware package off the sd card after the bird and controller is updated or do you need to keep the files on the card?:confused:

Reaction score
When you say format the card, do you mean erase all of its content? Sorry for the noob question but I've heard this before but didn't understand the terminology.

Reaction score
Yes to format a hard drive, usb key, sd or micro sd card means to wipe it fully, it's like resetting it to factory settings. You can do this within the app or on your pc

msinger

Approved Vendor
Reaction score
Website
PhantomHelp.com
You can remove the firmware, but DJI suggests keeping it on your memory card so your batteries can be updated if needed. This will become more important as you acquire additional batteries. While formatting your memory card is okay to do, you should not have to do it after installing new firmware.

Reaction score
You can remove the firmware, but DJI suggests keeping it on your memory card so your batteries can be updated if needed. This will become more important as you acquire additional batteries. While formatting your memory card is okay to do, you should not have to do it after installing new firmware.

Why is it important for additional batteries? Please explain.

msinger

Approved Vendor
Reaction score
Website
PhantomHelp.com
If applicable, firmware updates must be installed on each battery. If you always keep the current firmware on your memory card, it'll be automatically installed on your batteries as you use them.

Meta4

Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Since DJI haven't released any firmware updates for batteries yet (and they are likely to be very infrequent when they do)
This is all unnecessary.
Just another thing to confuse newbies .

msinger

Approved Vendor
Reaction score
Website
PhantomHelp.com

Meta4

Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Well it is completely unnecessary.
It's all hypothetical and does not apply until DJI release any battery firmware.
So far they haven't but there are dozens of threads from concerned people who are confused.
For now just forget about it.
Fly with a blank formatted SD card and you'll have no worries.

Reactions: ianwood

ianwood

Taco Wrangler
Reaction score
When/if a battery update comes out simple cycle through each of your batteries at home then remove it from the card.

I would not leave it on the card. There's no need and who knows, the **** thing may try to update firmware mid-flight! :eek:

msinger

Approved Vendor
Reaction score
Website
PhantomHelp.com
Haha... okay, you guys win. Don't mind me if I secretly keep mine on my memory card though :D

Reaction score
I think, in fairness, the correct answer is both.

i.e. I think the best advice is:
Update, then format the card and fly. Note if there happens to be a future release that also applies to batteries you will need to update each battery separately in the bird.

The reason I say that is I suspect a lot of new pilots come here, learn what they need to and then drift off, they wouldn't necessarily recheck instructions in 6 months time.

msinger

Approved Vendor
Reaction score
Website
PhantomHelp.com
The reason I say that is I suspect a lot of new pilots come here, learn what they need to and then drift off, they wouldn't necessarily recheck instructions in 6 months time.
Right. That's why I prefer to give advice that always works.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
safeharbour