One Motor Seems Tight?

Reaction score
Hi All.Great site!I have a Phantom with three flights on it.I noticed that one of the motors appears tighter than the others.If I spin the props by hand,one spools down more quickly than the rest.Would you say this is a sign of a bearing issue?This seems to me to not be right.Looking for some advice.Thanks,JK

Make sure the shell of the phantom is snapped together firmly as it has no lee way around the motors.. the motor could be rubbing against the plastic...

Checked clearance,and no rubbing.Seems to be the motor.Is the bearing change a huge pain?!I have been into cars and helis for 20 + years,so I have done nearly everything in this hobby.One thing I have yet to do is tear into an outrunner.Thanks,JK

There's videos on youtube on how to change the bearings. I'd first keep an eye on that motor and fly some more, it just maybe tight clearances between the magnets and stator. However if it constantly gets warmer to the touch than the others, it usually means something is rubbing inside or bearing going bad.

Thanks for the info!I took all four motors apart,and lubed them with a drop of Trinity Royal Oil for mod rc car motor ball bearings.Huge difference!While apart,I drilled the chassis below the motor for future oiling.Flies great,and all motors are very quiet and cool to the touch after 6 minutes of flight.I highly recommend this mod to anyone with a Phantom.Thanks Again,JK

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20