Old / New motor dilemma

Reaction score
Hello, I purchased my old motor and shell professional from Best Buy at the end of November. Today, I went back to Best Buy to pick up a micro SD card for my K1 and low and behold there sat the new version of the Phantom now in stock. My dilemma is should I return my old version for the new. I've been enjoying it immensely. The batteries and motors do get hot and I hear the new ones do not, but also have less thrust as well. I would think that the motors would last longer, batteries as well. So far I've seen no cracks in the shell but I hear the new motor version is not immune from cracking. So, should I keep what I have been enjoying and is tried and true for hundreds of people or go and return for the new version which may have yet to be discovered issues of its own.
Thanks in advance for your replies.

It's entirely your choice. I have P3 with no issues whereas many have complained of stress cracks. If I'm not wrong few have observed cracks with new motors and shells.

If you are stressed then go for new motors but it's your choice. I believe that there must be a definite reason why DJI went for new motors and shells and ESCs.

Reactions: NCFlyGuy
I got the old motors on mine that I ordered on black Friday. I was kind of sad at first, but it seems there were less cracks from the timeframe mine was built so that makes me happy. Also the FCC test had higher output wattage than the new models, so that also makes me happy as well although it probably doesn't mean much. Finally, for most devices they follow the bathtub failure curve of either early failures or late failures...since you know yours is good I would stick with it. I am also attached to mine, she would be said if I traded her in...

Last edited:
Go ahead and traded in for a brand new one! Why not? You get a new and improved motors with more efficiency and less heat, longer flight time. You get a brand new B controller which is better than older A type. You also get a brand new battery. This is a no-brainer!

Oh and also, I have read on here of lens/camera quality issues. If you know yours is good why mess with it? One thing I have learned in life is not to mess with something that is already working great....

Reactions: Reed L and NCFlyGuy
I had the same issue and ended up swapping my perfectly fine P3P for one with the new shell and motors. So far all has been fine and have had no regrets.

Go ahead and traded in for a brand new one! Why not? You get a new and improved motors with more efficiency and less heat, longer flight time. You get a brand new B controller which is better than older A type. You also get a brand new battery. This is a no-brainer!

I didn't know there was a difference in the controller as well?

I had the same issue and ended up swapping my perfectly fine P3P for one with the new shell and motors. So far all has been fine and have had no regrets.

See, my pro IS perfectly fine. So, I don't want to end up regretting an exchange if it's not warranted. I wish the battery and motors didn't get so warm. I haven't really heard of any direct failures from heat in the batteries or motors though.

If you read through the release notes part of the change was to support faster manufacturing. The old motors have controllers separate from the main board, so in theory you could replace them individually. The new motors still have a separate controller for each motor, but they all reside on the same board so you have to change them all if one fails. This is only what I read, would be interesting to see a tear down of both versions...

So perhaps the change was to reduce motor manufacturing costs? Not saying the new motors are of lesser quality but may cost less to manufacture. With cracks turning up in shells of the new motor model versions, having the new controller and motors are the only real difference and perhaps advantage.
Thanks for all of the replies received so far!

If you read through the release notes part of the change was to support faster manufacturing. The old motors have controllers separate from the main board, so in theory you could replace them individually. The new motors still have a separate controller for each motor, but they all reside on the same board so you have to change them all if one fails. This is only what I read, would be interesting to see a tear down of both versions...
This theory is not acceptable as that could have been achieved even with the old motors too. One doesn't have to change motors and ESCs to combine them on a single board.

So perhaps the change was to reduce motor manufacturing costs? Not saying the new motors are of lesser quality but may cost less to manufacture. With cracks turning up in shells of the new motor model versions, having the new controller and motors are the only real difference and perhaps advantage.
Thanks for all of the replies received so far!

From my reading there are cracks with both new and old motors. I have been trying to find the first post about cracks and have not had to time to really research it properly....

This theory is not acceptable as that could have been achieved even with the old motors too. One doesn't have to change motors and ESCs to combine them on a single board.

Check my above post and link....my memory may have been from some other post about separate boards...the link says:

"DJI has made slight modifications to the Phantom 3 Professional/Advanced that help improve production capacity to meet the growing demand of the Phantom Series. "

I read the release note from DJI;
"DJI has made slight modifications to the Phantom 3 Professional/Advanced that help improve production capacity to meet the growing demand of the Phantom Series. These changes do not impact flight performance in any way."
That's what I read and got out of it, no changes in flight performance in any way.

Perhaps I should just keep what I have been enjoying already. I know it works well even if the motors and batteries get a little on the toasty side.
Are the camera focus or lens issues limited to new motor versions only?

I read the release note from DJI;
"DJI has made slight modifications to the Phantom 3 Professional/Advanced that help improve production capacity to meet the growing demand of the Phantom Series. These changes do not impact flight performance in any way."
That's what I read and got out of it, no changes in flight performance in any way.

Perhaps I should just keep what I have been enjoying already. I know it works well even if the motors and batteries get a little on the toasty side.
Are the camera focus or lens issues limited to new motor versions only?

How much time and flights do you have?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik