Old motors and shell

Reaction score
Just received my P3A from B&H today and it came with old motors and shell. The funny thing is I called B&H on Wed before I placed the order. They told me they were the newer models in stock. I am so pissed that I have to go to B&H tomorrow to exchange it. I just hope they really have what they say they have.

Swap if you like but there's nothing wrong with the original motors ... some users would prefer them.
I agree that there's no proof that newer is better however, if you were buying a new one and had the choice, which would you choose?

I agree that there's no proof that newer is better however, if you were buying a new one and had the choice, which would you choose?
I have both and I hardly fly the new one. The older one is my favourite and the one I fly most of the time.
Read this to see an explanation of how insignificant the differences really are:
New or old motors phantom 3

Im more worried about not having the newer shell because of the cracking of the older shell. Thoughts?

I'm with you sir, in the same boat. Bought a P3P from a New York company (I'm in Calif.) and it's the old motors and old shell. Sending it back tomorrow for an exchange. I figure it's a good chance they send me out another old style but going to try anyways. Asked for input from form but it was split between keeping and sending back. Thing is can't tell till box is opened. Frustrating.

Last edited:
How does one tell which motors are on the Phantom?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Im more worried about not having the newer shell because of the cracking of the older shell. Thoughts?
Only a very small percentage of the shells ever developed cracking.
It wasn't a widespread problem and seems to have been limited to some bad batches of plastic resin or poor moulding technique.
Most never had any problems at all.
I'm with you sir, in the same boat. ... Thing is can't tell till it's opened. Frustrating.
You can .. on the side of the box there are two stickers, one has bar codes and on the other it shows the model number for the Phantom and the controller.
For the Advanced is shows W322A for the newer motors and something else + A for the Pro

How does one tell which motors are on the Phantom?

imageuploadedbyphantompilots-dji-phantom-forum1443845769-068556-jpg.32583

It really makes zero difference what motors you have. They're both fine.
It's threads like this that keep scaring new owners and make them think they must have the new motors.
The differences in performance are trivial.

There are pictures on the net. Old have a raised area on top of the motor, new are flush. I'm not worried about the old motors, but I am worried about the shell cracking.

Thanks Meta, now if I could only find someone in the warehouse to read the side of the box before sending to me across the country.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers