Old firmware

Keep it installed or keep it archived? If the latter, you can still download it from DJI's website.

Yeah I got it archived. But I also just received a P3 advanced with 1.3 on it. I've never used 1.3
I started flying P3's on 1.4's so I don't know any advantages it might have. I do know I lost my last PIII advanced due to the battery issues 20 seconds into the flight going full throttle up and out. So I definitely know the benefit of upgrading the batteries to 1.6! But I'm trying to decide is there any benefit to keeping 1.3 and just upgrading the batteries.
You can only reinstall back down to 1.5.3

Check out the release notes to see what was added in the newer firmware releases.

Yep. Been there done that! Not new to navigating this stuff. Dont like what i see EXCEPT that they're addressing the faulty 1.5.3battery firmware that dropped so many birds and 2 of my 4 bats are still on that faulty firmware. May just upgrade bats and leave bird on 1.3
But then again I don't know any benefits of 1.3 that's why am asking the rest of the community who's been there

EXCEPT that they're addressing the faulty 1.5.3battery firmware that dropped so many birds and 2 of my 4 bats are still on that faulty firmware
It appears most people have been dropping their own birds by running the batteries down to a dangerous voltage level.

Yeah I got it archived. But I also just received a P3 advanced with 1.3 on it. I've never used 1.3
I started flying P3's on 1.4's so I don't know any advantages it might have. I do know I lost my last PIII advanced due to the battery issues 20 seconds into the flight going full throttle up and out. So I definitely know the benefit of upgrading the batteries to 1.6! But I'm trying to decide is there any benefit to keeping 1.3 and just upgrading the batteries.
You can only reinstall back down to 1.5.3

How do you do that? - keep 1.3 and just upgrade the batteries

You have to do it by using a different phantom that's on 1.6 whether it's a spare Phantom you have that you've upgraded or a buddies that has upgraded

I was hoping with this post that somebody would chime in and say I've had 1.3 there's a reason to keep it or I've switched from 1.3 no reason not to

I was hoping with this post that somebody would chime in and say I've had 1.3 there's a reason to keep it or I've switched from 1.3 no reason not to

For me there is a good reason to stay with older FW. Using 1.4.10 in conjunction with Litchi 2.3.1 means that I can avoid the 500m altitude limit. (1.4.10 rather than 1.3.20 means that I have 2.7K video available on my P3A).

The reasons for using older FW were eloquently discussed in several posts by Rob Robertson in this thread: Should I update my phanton 3 advanced to the latest firmware 1.50030 | DJI Phantom Forum

Last edited:
Reactions: dirtybum
Any reason i should keep old 1.3 firmware?
Yeah if you haven't updated your drone firmware 1.3 still gives you the ability to cruise over 40 mph with a tailwind. If you go further then that 1.4 and higher you will top out around 35 to 36 mph in GPS mode regardless of how much taIlwind you have.

The latest firmware it actually says in the release notes that it purposely decreases acceleration and top speed because of the temperature it's flying in. If it's warmer out allow you to go faster if its cold out it holds performance back some sort of safety precaution.

The latest firmware it actually says in the release notes that it purposely decreases acceleration and top speed because of the temperature it's flying in. If it's warmer out allow you to go faster if its cold out it holds performance back some sort of safety precaution.
What i got out of the notes is that it decreases accel in cold but a complete SEPARATE sentence stated they decrease foward speed period. Which i hate. That means we'll never catch up to unknown[emoji41]

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers