Ok, Something happened !

Reaction score
Out flying this evening getting great photo's and video's . all of a sudden the gimble goes limp , the motors make some unusual revs . first thing i do is take off for the sky , brought unit back no problems . all this time gimble is dead , shut bird off then back on gimble comes back . seems to be functioning again . at this point i don't want to fly the bird to far so i hover about 15' up , i thought it would be a nice shot for my phone to take a pic of the drone . As i approach the drone it starts to rev up and moved almost sideways thought i might flip . so i back away real quick then it followed me for a few feet and stopped . i landed [hand caught ] right away .I have all the firmware up dates and the bird has never done anything like this before . never any rough use or band landings !
any ideas ???

Out flying this evening getting great photo's and video's . all of a sudden the gimble goes limp , the motors make some unusual revs . first thing i do is take off for the sky , brought unit back no problems . all this time gimble is dead , shut bird off then back on gimble comes back . seems to be functioning again . at this point i don't want to fly the bird to far so i hover about 15' up , i thought it would be a nice shot for my phone to take a pic of the drone . As i approach the drone it starts to rev up and moved almost sideways thought i might flip . so i back away real quick then it followed me for a few feet and stopped . i landed [hand caught ] right away .I have all the firmware up dates and the bird has never done anything like this before . never any rough use or band landings !
any ideas ???
Wow scary had the limp gimble but not the follow,did you call it christine ,just idea you could veiw flight data to mayby see what happen ,:oops:

Reactions: tevek
There have been a number of threads regarding the limp gimbal occurrence with the P4, me included. No idea except restarting the drone or changing the battery. Did you have OA activated to give you the unusual behaviour?

'Did you call it Christine', lol....
Ha it remind me 2 weeks back i pressed green takeoff button in litchi while had bad weather while inside small kitchen had to hand catch and try shut down with otherhand on remote ,gezz what a torque twister , :eek:

There have been a number of threads regarding the limp gimbal occurrence with the P4, me included. No idea except restarting the drone or changing the battery. Did you have OA activated to give you the unusual behaviour?
Mine went limp i exceded software limit doin a safe height test when new,1315ft camera went limp face down gave impession of falling,landed safe and restart been good since
thumb_c9091d28310c5c28_1490509213000.jpg
this picture i take while coming down,was ready to try catch it till i relize i still got control OA was off

Mine went limp i exceded software limit doin a safe height test when new,1315ft camera went limp face down gave impession of falling,landed safe and restart been good sinceView attachment 84252this picture i take while coming down,was ready to try catch it till i relize i still got control OA was off
Hmm, not sure about exceeding software limit as mine played up 15 mtrs up and 10 mtrs in front of me and also 200 mtrs out at 50 mtrs. I'm thinking its a firmware problem as its random and maybe dji will own it in the next update.

It wasn't just the gimbal that failed . at first the bird stared to rock from side to side . i can see it in the video . the motors reved in a weird way then the gimbal went limp . it did reset when i powered off and back on the drone . this could have caused a crash not the gimbal but the motors reving and rocking the drone from side to side . if i hadn't shot for the sky the drone would be in 65' of water now . need to download flight data and check that but something is a miss . not acceptable for a 1200 drone . i would expect this kind of stuff to be worked out all ready . going to get a hold of DJI and see what they say

It wasn't just the gimbal that failed . at first the bird stared to rock from side to side . i can see it in the video . the motors reved in a weird way then the gimbal went limp . it did reset when i powered off and back on the drone . this could have caused a crash not the gimbal but the motors reving and rocking the drone from side to side . if i hadn't shot for the sky the drone would be in 65' of water now . need to download flight data and check that but something is a miss . not acceptable for a 1200 drone . i would expect this kind of stuff to be worked out all ready . going to get a hold of DJI and see what they say
Ok, I asked whether the OA was turned on when you had it near you as I have had that before where it started moving around as if it wasn't sure what it was doing. I also remember it doing when at about 40 mtrs up in the air with no wind to affect it and we'll out of range of anything to affect the OA. In that event I checked the IMU settings and found the active sensor to be very high, did a calibration and that seemed to fix it. The issue with the limp gimbal may be separate to the drone rocking around.

Another limp gimbal here. It's like a p4 case of the flu I guess. Mine was in sport mode and maybe I came to a sudden stop but I swear I remember easing up slowly on the right stick and easing down with the left. Nothing harsh. Idk, I want to make sure and check flight data cuz as of now I haven't.

Ok, I asked whether the OA was turned on when you had it near you as I have had that before where it started moving around as if it wasn't sure what it was doing. I also remember it doing when at about 40 mtrs up in the air with no wind to affect it and we'll out of range of anything to affect the OA. In that event I checked the IMU settings and found the active sensor to be very high, did a calibration and that seemed to fix it. The issue with the limp gimbal may be separate to the drone rocking around.
Again thanks for the sugestions ,sorry I'm not sure what your calling OA . i had been through 2 batteries and on the 3 flight of the nite . at about 48% battery it did this almost like it shut off momenterily , the flight logs show nothing [ airdata]. all good . my cell phone was on .It was about 500'away 50' ele . When i get a chance I'll up-load the data and the video

Mine went limp i exceded software limit doin a safe height test when new,1315ft camera went limp face down gave impession of falling,landed safe and restart been good sinceView attachment 84252this picture i take while coming down,was ready to try catch it till i relize i still got control OA was off
Thanks , I've a very simlar video of that . I'll post it once downloaded .

Again thanks for the sugestions ,sorry I'm not sure what your calling OA . i had been through 2 batteries and on the 3 flight of the nite . at about 48% battery it did this almost like it shut off momenterily , the flight logs show nothing [ airdata]. all good . my cell phone was on .It was about 500'away 50' ele . When i get a chance I'll up-load the data and the video
OA is obstical avoidence system

Reactions: tevek
Sorry, I was referring to Obstacle Avoidance which gave me a bit of grief when it was hovering near me. I had VPS turned on which is active to about 10 mtrs and then the normal IMU kicks in. As mentioned I did an IMU calibration and that fixed the 'wobbles' and erratic climbing and falling and has been fine ever since. The limp gimbal issue hasn't occurred since but I don't think the erratic behaviour and the gimbal are related. I reviewed both Airdata and my flight logs in the go app and found, like many others, that there are no flags popping up indicating what happened.

My data shows no warnings or anything a miss. Normal. This is from air data.
Good to have no warnings ,,unfortunatly it dont show camera info, i be thinking that sort of data stored in firmware of the drone ,need someone bit clever than me to work that bit out,must be able to connect drone via usb to computer to find,sorty bit of a guess on that o_O

Good to have no warnings ,,unfortunatly it dont show camera info, i be thinking that sort of data stored in firmware of the drone ,need someone bit clever than me to work that bit out,must be able to connect drone via usb to computer to find,sorty bit of a guess on that o_O

Thanks for the advice. I'm not very tech savvy either but maybe someone here will explain this to me. I have video I just need to clip the last 15 secs or so and show that. It almost looks like I was in the vortex. I remembered what I have learned here and I guess flew forward and it saved itself. Of course that might not be it at all.

Thanks for the advice. I'm not very tech savvy either but maybe someone here will explain this to me. I have video I just need to clip the last 15 secs or so and show that. It almost looks like I was in the vortex. I remembered what I have learned here and I guess flew forward and it saved itself. Of course that might not be it at all.
Yip thats what mine look like,a vortex but but the drone wasent spinning just the camera, but still had vidio feed

Reactions: JohnnyD913
The P4 won't replicate the dreaded vortex/toilet bowl effect as its descent is governed to 3m/s to avoid that. You will get the effect of moving around during descent if there is wind about and you can easily get manage that by moving it towards you as you come down.

Reactions: JohnnyD913
The P4 won't replicate the dreaded vortex/toilet bowl effect as its descent is governed to 3m/s to avoid that. You will get the effect of moving around during descent if there is wind about and you can easily get manage that by moving it towards you as you come down.

I was in sport mode and it seems like on my p4 that sport mode decent and p or gps mode is a world of difference. I wish I could clip the 14 min. Video down to the last 15 and post it here. It isn't rotating but a heck of a lot of buffeting. It could have been the wind caught it just right. It was gusting to 10mph today.
Thanks

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj