Ok....need help to decide on my squeaky gimbal issue

Reaction score
Hi All...ok...I am on my third P4 and everything works fine except I got that minor squeak in my gimbal when it first boots up and does the self check sequence...it nevers happens after that...even after picking craft up...moving around and listening real close as the gimbal maintains the camera angle. First one had firmware issues...second one OA never worked properly and firmware didn't want to update at all....with this latest P4 everything went smooth. I read that some people just deal with the squeak and have many flights with no issues...
Is there any way that I could possibly fix this issue? Lube?? I have till May 12th to decide if I want to try another one...

Any thoughts or ideas?? Thanks!!

Last edited:
I just had the same issue and returned 3 to the Apple Store.. This 4th one makes no noises and seems fine. For this kind of money, don't settle for an inferior product. I always sell my phantoms when a new one comes out. I don't want to sell something that is squeaking.. Just my thoughts

I just had the same issue and returned 3 to the Apple Store.. This 4th one makes no noises and seems fine. For this kind of money, don't settle for an inferior product. I always sell my phantoms when a new one comes out. I don't want to sell something that is squeaking.. Just my thoughts
Exactly my sentiments, uneven horizon, gimbal noise.... this is alot of money for a product that is now in its 4th iteration. While DJI might have you believe this is a toy, it is marketed to the high end consumer market that expects quality. If I wanted a toy, I would have bought a little $50 nano quad.

Don't settle for second best, take it back and get one that is how it should be.

Mine does the same noise at startup, I ignore it, all is OK and if flies great.
Not sure if there is a fix for it, My friend that got his on day 1 had the same issue and it fixed itself...but he flies the hell out of it.

Reactions: Jussaguy
Thanks all...Still torn..but will give it till over the weekend and if the squeak is still there I will just get a new one...again...even though it may never cause an issue. For the money...it should be perfect!!

Guys...quick update..returned the phantom today...NEW ONE squeaked also..bringing it back tomorrow AM...again...I must be driving the Apple store guys nuts!!

Not sure if you going to find a quiet one...and if you get one it may have something else that you don't like. I have 4 friends with P4 and all make the noise. Let it be, concentrate on the camera sharpness, level horizon, smooth motors, good to-from communication. Are you going to fly it or listen to it?
Make sure when IMU calibrated both green bars are equal on a level plane with motors OFF.

Mine makes a slight noise at start up but all works perfect, not worth worrying about

Ive only had the chance to fly my new P4 twice and never really listened for a squeak in the gimbal. But my question is what does it matter if the camera doesn't record sound?

Thanks for the input all...I know there are quiet ones out there...but I am a little more calm now so getting ready to update firmware and check out everything else...like the horizon..etc..if everything else checks out I may just deal with it...just worried gimbal may lock up on me 50 flights from now :-(

Mine just started today after flying in fog for 3 min, but it's so minor does not bother me. Wonder if it has something to do with moisture???

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Mine does squeek squeek squeek, Was annoyed and decided to stop bother about it, For about a week now I'm trying to get the squeek back by turning on/off the Phantom, I been wondering myself where'd did it go, Later on had uneven horizon issue, figured that it's due to IMU calibration on uneven surface, Recalibrate on even surface and it's all fine now.

So...I ordered the Phantom 4 deal with one battery from Best Buy...pick it up Friday!! I am so hoping this one is it!!

Thanks for the input all...I know there are quiet ones out there...but I am a little more calm now so getting ready to update firmware and check out everything else...like the horizon..etc..if everything else checks out I may just deal with it...just worried gimbal may lock up on me 50 flights from now :-(
You know what they say about "the quiet ones"...

Hi all...so I picked up my new P4 and battery combo deal and there is NO squeak!! The firmware is already up to date and took it on a quick test flight....so far..so good! Now I have to return the one I got from Apple...again and for last time :)

Make sure when IMU calibrated both green bars are equal on a level plane with motors OFF.

I have never noticed perfect balance between IMU 1 and IMU 2 after an IMU calibration on a level surface with motors off. Is this your theory or is this in fact how a proper IMU calibration should look?

By the way...to the OP...I am on my 3rd P4 today. The first one had a very loud gimbal squeak at start up and crunchy sounding gimbal movements. The second one had no noise at all from the gimbal but I could never get it adjusted to level when flying...it also exhibited movement in the camera when flying. The third one I just got has the sound at start up tho not as bad as the first. I flew it straight out of the box and the horizon was way off. I am calibrating the IMU now and hoping that will help otherwise this one too is headed back to the store.

IMO, this P4 gimbal design is inferior to the P3P.

Not after, during IMU calibration. My first P4 IMU 1 during cal was like 67% and IMU 2 was like 34%...Never calibrated in the same time. Exchanged.

It sounds as if most squeak. Not sure if mine does. Like others have said; deal with it, ignore it, fly it. Not sure the hassle of multiple returns is worth trying to eliminate a transient noise that appears to have no effect on performance. Could be just tight initial tolerances.

Reactions: scatmanr1
As a new phantom owner I didn't know any better, had the squeak and no other issues, and fell for the "if it squeaks exchange it" advice and the new one has more issues. I should have lived with it.

Reactions: BriRi

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik