OK Lost Phantom - would this work?

Reaction score
http://www.technologytell.com/gadgets/1 ... s-locator/

I saw a thread or two about the scary possibility of losing the Phantom... and thought of this.

The weight is right 1.4 ounces... but I can't see anything about what frequency it operates at? Has anyone tried something like this?

I use that exact tracker. Works fine, requires no cell plan and has no contract. I think it is $9 a month and you get a few free months with purchase. Nice iOS app too. I bought the optional canvass pouch and strap it to the leg of my bird.

EDIT - looks like the price went up a bit to $12.95 mo. http://www.pocketfinder.com/gps-locator/personal-gps-locator/

Buckaye said:
http://www.technologytell.com/gadgets/100739/gadgetell-review-pocketfinder-personal-gps-locator/

I saw a thread or two about the scary possibility of losing the Phantom... and thought of this.

The weight is right 1.4 ounces... but I can't see anything about what frequency it operates at? Has anyone tried something like this?

Nice! Have you had to use it?

What are the exact dimensions of this thing?

I was thinking of buying the Marco Polo tracker which uses an RF ping up to 2 miles and not GPS (thus, no monthly fee) --- but it seems a bit heavy and would drain a lot of battery power.

This little tracker could be a nice alternative.

MadMitch88 said:
I was thinking of buying the Marco Polo tracker which uses an RF pinger and not GPS (thus, no subscription fee) --- but it seems a bit heavy and would drain a lot of battery power.

Drain battery power?

Oh got you. I would say its minimal if even noticeable.

MadMitch88 said:
What are the exact dimensions of this thing?

I was thinking of buying the Marco Polo tracker which uses an RF ping up to 2 miles and not GPS (thus, no monthly fee) --- but it seems a bit heavy and would drain a lot of battery power.

This little tracker could be a nice alternative.
It is about 2" in diameter & 7/8" thick. There is also that little 'tail' that is about a 1/2".

Ouch! High purchase price and $12.95 a month! Ouch!
But, better to have one than not.

Happyflyer said:
Ouch! High purchase price and $12.95 a month! Ouch!
But, better to have one than not.
I got mine from ebay as a new unit for about $70 and I pay $9 a month, the fee must have gone up recently. I will use it till something better comes along.

rrmccabe said:
I think he means the Marco Polo, not this one. And at 220-somethin grams, the Marco Polo is pretty heavy. You'd notice a bit of battery drain.

Yea he later clarified that. I have not noticed a change in my flight times and I am running the heavier pet version tag.

I might buy the lighter RC tag in the future.

ProfessorStein said:
rrmccabe said:
I think he means the Marco Polo, not this one. And at 220-somethin grams, the Marco Polo is pretty heavy. You'd notice a bit of battery drain.

You have the weights mixed up for the Marco Polo Tracker.

The Marco Polo tag ‘s stock configuration (includes battery and enclosure) weighs only 1.6 oz (46 g ). Without the enclosure, the tag electronics and battery weigh .8 oz (22.7 g).

The hand held locator is what weights 220 grams not the tags. Tags are what you put on your Phantom.

This system does not use cellular and there is no monthly fee. It will work in areas where there is no cell service.

The main downside to this produce in my opinion is the price $219.95 for one transceiver.

You can get more info here....

http://eurekaproducts.com/rc-model-tracking-and-recovery/

No I don't work for them I just like the product, I fly a lot where there is limited cell service so this works perfect.

I found a TAGG (pet tracker) brand new in the box on craigslist for $45. It comes with 3 months of service and is $7.95/month after that if you purchase for an entire year. It attaches easily to the leg and from what I've read has no interference with the operation of the bird.

Dizzy Lizzard said:
The Marco Polo tag ‘s stock configuration (includes battery and enclosure) weighs only 1.6 oz (46 g ). Without the enclosure, the tag electronics and battery weigh .8 oz (22.7 g).

This brings up a question. You mention it without the enclosure.

I have the pet version which shows at 1.75 oz (49 grams) on my sheet. Thats pretty close to what you list. I think the RC version only weights about 12 grams if I remember correctly.

Anyway has anyone removed the enclosure on the pet version to cut weight that you have seen?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31