Offshore

Meta4

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
The Phantom 3 is such a versatile machine. I love it.
I took a break from my usual big panorama photography today and sent my bird offshore.
The Phantom 2 was useless for this, I couldn't get it to reliably go more than 5-600 metres before losing signal.
Today I zipped out 2.5 km with ease and took a close look at a tugboat towing a large barge on a 1200 mile ocean tow.
The big screen view is great for composing up photos.
All up I flew for nearly 6 km and got back before the battery started howling.
I was happy that the weather wasn't good and I had no audience on shore but it was only after I got home and looked at the pictures that I see the crew spotted me.
One of them is trying to photograph my drone - but I think my pictures are going to be better than his.
Super nice to be able to have full control and be able to line up photos that far out.
You can't get shots like this from a boat and until now you would have had to charter a helicopter and pilot @ $800+ per hour to do this.
Phantom 3 ticks a lot of boxes.
DJI_0920b-XL.jpg

DJI_0935a-XL.jpg

DJI_0910a-XL.jpg

Those are great shots. I love the guys on the tug trying to get a photo of the UFO that's tracking them.

I wonder what website they posted their pictures on...

Reactions: Coldfire
The Phantom 3 is such a versatile machine. I love it.
I took a break from my usual big panorama photography today and sent my bird offshore.
The Phantom 2 was useless for this, I couldn't get it to reliably go more than 5-600 metres before losing signal.
Today I zipped out 2.5 km with ease and took a close look at a tugboat towing a large barge on a 1200 mile ocean tow.
The big screen view is great for composing up photos.
All up I flew for nearly 6 km and got back before the battery started howling.
I was happy that the weather wasn't good and I had no audience on shore but it was only after I got home and looked at the pictures that I see the crew spotted me.
One of them is trying to photograph my drone - but I think my pictures are going to be better than his.
Super nice to be able to have full control and be able to line up photos that far out.
You can't get shots like this from a boat and until now you would have had to charter a helicopter and pilot @ $800+ per hour to do this.
Phantom 3 ticks a lot of boxes.
DJI_0920b-XL.jpg

DJI_0935a-XL.jpg

DJI_0910a-XL.jpg
Meta are you Owen Foley or did they throw a copyright on your pics?
Screenshot_2015-06-16-13-43-24.png

I've got 2000 ship photos over there.
Looking forward to being able to really get some good ones now.
I wish I could get them closer but 2.5 km is as near as I can find them here.
And the Phantom 3 is the right tool for the job.

Reactions: Mal_PV2_Ireland
Balls of steel!

It might be worth finding out who skippers that boat & send them an email with the images. They'll appreciate them (probably print and frame them!) and it'll also be re-assuring to know the purpose of the visitation was purely for fun!

If I was the skipper & I didn't know I'd be concerned that it was some sort of government shipping survey or something....

Reactions: gfredrone
That's pretty incredible distance, I've taken my P2 with the Black Pearl out plenty of times over the ocean and the farthest I have gotten with a completely clear LOS is 1.8km. It pulled a RTH on me at 1.5km with an altitude of 40m so I had to take it up to around 80m to get 1.8km. 2.5km is out of the question with my setup.

Awesome shots... looking forward to more posts like this!

Nice! Are those after the latest firmware update? Photo's look crisp. Supposedly there was and update to make pictures better.

Love your photos. Thanks for posting.

Your horizon looks perfect. Do you always have such a level horizon or did you edit it in post or with a gimbal adjustment?

Nice! Are those after the latest firmware update? Photo's look crisp. Supposedly there was and update to make pictures better.

Your horizon looks perfect. Do you always have such a level horizon or did you edit it in post or with a gimbal adjustment?

Thanks. Yes this was post firmware update but my pics usually make a short trip to Photoshop before anyone sees them. I adjusted the horizon a little (0.7º).
I'm not sure what fix they included - nothing obvious to me.

Well done mate! This makes me even more confident in the P3-Pro that I bought.
It really is a great flying and photo machine!

Very cool. I also use the grid lines for stills, and I would be lost without my histogram.

Here are some screenshots from the app.
Almost 6 km total distance in 16 mins but back home before 30%
i-gGm6H9c-M.png

i-L5GVRsS-M.png
Well that should keep all "nay - nay" sayers at bay. (pun not intended ah what the) Very nice. I kind-of get tired of trees and farms. Nice to see some real photo shoots.

Great shots! :cool:

Offshore again ...
After playing around with some tame subjects in harbour recently .. http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/ship-photography.46514/
.. I ventured offshore again to shoot a few ships under way.
It's entirely different when they are making 17 knots.
You don't get much of a chance to orbit shooting from different angles and heights.
I had to go 2.5 km to get to where they were and did two batteries for 6+ km each trip.
A little disconcerting when you have just taken up position close on the bow and the app drops out and the screen goes black but it always pops back after a few seconds.
The trips out were slow at 9 metres/sec but it's good to zoom back at 22 m/sec with a nice tailwind.
i-ZpfrfXC-M.jpg

DJI_0792a-XL.jpg

DJI_0834b-XL.jpg

DJI_0729a-XL.jpg

DJI_0760a-XL.jpg

The P3 gets to places I can't get with my regular SLR

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.