Official DJI Hardshell fit

Reaction score
Hi all, do any of you that have the DJI hardshell rucksack find it quite hard to get the remote in? the fit is so tight that the rubber bits at the bottom of the remote have caused the polystyrene (which incidentaly feels very cheap) to flake already and in fact one of the rubber bits (the round ones fell off removing the remote.

Seems like a flawed design and I'm tempted to take it back but wanted to see if this was the norm first? Its fustrating as I like the overall form, much more compact than my pelican case, thouh seems a shame they neglected to maybe add a pocket for the tablet to go in...

Please post some pics, so we have a better understanding of exactly what your complaints are?
Which way are you placing the RC in the case, sideways or upright?
Trying to mentally visualize the dilemma is pointless. ;-)

RedHotPoker

The remote is indeed a tight fit.
My remote started getting a few black marks because of the foam rubbing too often.
But after a while it does loosen up, probably the foam wearing away.

Assuming OP has this case?

dji-phantom-3-backpack-4678.jpg

If so, it is the same one I have and must admit the transmitter does seem to be an unnecessarily tight fit.

The rubbers of the transmitter have also worn ridges into the foam on mine... I do see that as a minor issue and I suppose it won't get any worse now it 'fits' but find it more frustrating how little room there is for the sticks, they just fit in when they're in stock position but if you extend them even slightly then they will catch on the foam and be forced into the full up position.

I don't want to have to adjust my sticks every time I fly so will have to cut out some of the foam, not a massive deal but a bit annoying when there is no need for such a tight fit around the sticks.

Again, assuming this is the case you have... I use one of the side pockets for tablet and the other side for props so don't have a problem there.

Assuming OP has this case?

dji-phantom-3-backpack-4678.jpg

If so, it is the same one I have and must admit the transmitter does seem to be an unnecessarily tight fit.

The rubbers of the transmitter have also worn ridges into the foam on mine... I do see that as a minor issue and I suppose it won't get any worse now it 'fits' but find it more frustrating how little room there is for the sticks, they just fit in when they're in stock position but if you extend them even slightly then they will catch on the foam and be forced into the full up position.

I don't want to have to adjust my sticks every time I fly so will have to cut out some of the foam, not a massive deal but a bit annoying when there is no need for such a tight fit around the sticks.

Again, assuming this is the case you have... I use one of the side pockets for tablet and the other side for props so don't have a problem there.
In the pic, you have shown the safety strap over top of the delicate antenna, and it should be placed underneath those. There was a previous thread, where the pilot had broken off those antenna from the exerted stress. Please place that strap below them, in the future.
There is an obvious cutout in the foam, representing this strap placement ... ;-)
& the lid closes clean, zippers run smooth, so best this way as well.
As always, YMMV. Ha

RedHotPoker

In the pic, you have shown the safety strap over top of the delicate antenna, and it should be placed underneath those. There was a previous thread, where the pilot had broken off those antenna from the exerted stress. Please place that strap below them, in the future.
There is an obvious cutout in the foam, representing this strap placement ... ;-)
& the lid closes clean, zippers run smooth, so best this way as well.
As always, YMMV. Ha

RedHotPoker

That was a stock image... not one of mine ;)

As it happens, I don't use the strap at all and have it tucked away. It's my understanding that it is purely there for if you accidentally open your case upside down (which is something I'm confident I won't do) to prevent the quad and controller from falling out.

With regards to it causing damage to the antenna... I don't see how it would anyway in normal transit, it's not supposed to be pulled tight but just draped over the top as in the picture... if used correctly I can't see the extra few mm of the strap adding enough pressure to cause damage... unless you do indeed open your case upside down :)

YMMV. Nobody said you were wrong, just stating the obvious.
Wishing all those who choose the over the top method, all the luck.
Why would the foam be cutout right where the strap is? ;-)
A forum member already experienced the devastation, please don't follow in that path... Ha
Being without the RC for a few weeks or months, doesn't seem like a fair trade for being lazy, or stubborn, but eh, you rule your roost.
All the four leaf clovers, in a cows second belly, wouldn't temp me.

RedHotPoker

YMMV. Nobody said you were wrong, just stating the obvious.
Wishing all those who choose the over the top method, all the luck.
Why would the foam be cutout right where the strap is? ;-)
A forum member already experienced the devastation, please don't follow in that path... Ha
Being without the RC for a few weeks or months, doesn't seem like a fair trade for being lazy, or stubborn, but eh, you rule your roost.
All the four leaf clovers, in a cows second belly, wouldn't temp me.

RedHotPoker

I'm not sure of the point you're trying to make?

The foam is cut out where the strap is because ... that's where the strap is... whether you go over / under the antenna.

The strap is there as an emergency measure for if you stupidly open the case upside down... whether you go for the over / under antenna method is pretty irrelevant unless you're for some reason repeatedly opening your case upside down and forcing the (very tight fitting) controller to come free and be retained only by the strap!... in which case you shouldn't be allowed out without supervision... let alone fly a drone! :)

Either way, I don't think it has too much to do with the ops question ;)

I don't work for them so this isn't just hot air. I looked at the DJI and went with Drone Crates backpack. I couldn't be happier. 20160209_170806.jpg

I suspect RH pokers point, seemed clear to.me, was to inform users of the hardshell backpack the srap over the antennas has been implicated in breaking the antenna mounting point on the controller.

It seems the case is harder to close with the strap over the top from the accounts of others, i never tried it as it was immediately obvious over the top was likely an issue. For the strap to conform to the available space when the two halves meet it must be under additiomal tension and certain of that force must be applied to the antennas.

Do whatever your comfirtable with but be mindful that others who follow any advice may end up with damaged remotes.

Reactions: davestern2
i found if you use tall sticks ( like most ppl do and suggest for more control) that the sticks will get caught up in the surrounding foam. a quick unscrew and lower of the sticks solves this

actually really like my oem case acctually i love it bc it was FREE

Attachments

• image1 .JPG
    image1 .JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 679
Hi all, do any of you that have the DJI hardshell rucksack find it quite hard to get the remote in? the fit is so tight that the rubber bits at the bottom of the remote have caused the polystyrene (which incidentaly feels very cheap) to flake already and in fact one of the rubber bits (the round ones fell off removing the remote.

Seems like a flawed design and I'm tempted to take it back but wanted to see if this was the norm first? Its fustrating as I like the overall form, much more compact than my pelican case, thouh seems a shame they neglected to maybe add a pocket for the tablet to go in...

Had the same issue with my hardshell. The tight fit was causing the poly to flake. While modifying the pack for my tablet, I took a lighter and applied some quick heat to the area where the rubber bumper was rubbing in the shell, causing the poly to shrivel some. Now the controller slides into the pack with very minimal resistance.

Reactions: DaGunn
I'm not sure of the point you're trying to make?

The foam is cut out where the strap is because ... that's where the strap is... whether you go over / under the antenna.

The strap is there as an emergency measure for if you stupidly open the case upside down... whether you go for the over / under antenna method is pretty irrelevant unless you're for some reason repeatedly opening your case upside down and forcing the (very tight fitting) controller to come free and be retained only by the strap!... in which case you shouldn't be allowed out without supervision... let alone fly a drone! :)

Either way, I don't think it has too much to do with the ops question ;)
My point, is not for an arguement, so please continue doing what you have always done. But just know, If you disregard my friendly advise & continue placing force on them delicate parts, they will eventually break away. Just as @dji intended... They love the bottom line. But then again, Who doesn't? Hahaha

Be well, & enjoy your Phantom 3 kit, to the fullest. ;-)
Strap em down boys...

RedHotPoker

Reactions: With The Birds
I suspect RH pokers point, seemed clear to.me, was to inform users of the hardshell backpack the srap over the antennas has been implicated in breaking the antenna mounting point on the controller.

It seems the case is harder to close with the strap over the top from the accounts of others, i never tried it as it was immediately obvious over the top was likely an issue. For the strap to conform to the available space when the two halves meet it must be under additiomal tension and certain of that force must be applied to the antennas.

Do whatever your comfirtable with but be mindful that others who follow any advice may end up with damaged remotes.
Just as I was politely stating... ;-) but you can't make stubborn reform.
I am fortunate and thankful to have a completely trouble free drone, never had an issue. Not a single one, nor a doublet or triplet neither. None.
So for me, these forums aren't a necessity for my Phantom 3 well being. I frequent them, to stay informed and to offer assistance trying-helping any others, to hopefully have an equally great experience with theirs...
When I saw the pic posted above, it made me react. Out of kindness we attempt to pursuade others to follow a clear and concise path.
I love it when folks react negatively, as if they've been slighted or misinformed. Hahaha
"When the bough breaks, the baby will fall". Hahaha
Oh, these forum threads also bring cheer and much laughter my way as well. Thank you. Mucho gracias, Señor. ;-)
Ok, Pilots, Carry on.

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
If you mount a gimbal guard on the landing gear you have to modify the case for it to fit, just a heads up [emoji846]

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: RayH
Personally, I put the foam down over the Phantom and controller and clip the strap over the top of the foam. Everything fits much better!

I have my controller loaded just like the pic you posted and yes, one of the rubber feet on the bottom of the controller is damaging the foam, it is a tight fit, DJI needs to work on the fit more IMO

Personally, I put the foam down over the Phantom and controller and clip the strap over the top of the foam. Everything fits much better!
See, that's using the old noggin... ;-)
I may have a go at that myself. Thanks.

RedHotPoker

My controller is tight as well but I notice it most with the little button that extends the phone/tablet mount. Mine always pulls out of the case with the mount extended, as the button is pushed in by the foam. I'm sure it would be a simple job to cut to size, but I don't want to damage the case and suspect it will naturally wear into a better shape. I did cut a few little slots for SD cards though.

Personally, I put the straps under the antennae, it just seemed logical.

Reactions: LamboH

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4