Off/On switch mod

Reaction score
Has anyone made a mod with a single pole, single throw toggle switch on the Phantom power leads to allow connection of the battery but not power up until just before flight. Getting old, and connecting two batteries while bent over the Phantom on the ground is a pain - literally!

Understandable, it wouldn't be that hard. You lose part of the safety aspect of a solid disconnect but I would consider it. If you were crazy, you go with an LED switch that is "lit" to let you know the system is almost ready for flight.

I put a 4 pole single throw switch on my Phantom the first thing I did when I got it. The new Phantoms will have a switch.

You need at least 20 amps. But I used a 4 pole mini at 8 amps each with 12 g wire and keep it short.

The Phantom has LEDs to tell you when the battery is hooked up, no need for a lighted switch.

I have 30 flights on my Phantom and no issues. The switch makes for a better set up and less strain on board and wiring.

Using more than one pole gives redundancy.

Skylane765 said:
I put a 4 pole single throw switch on my Phantom the first thing I did when I got it. The new Phantoms will have a switch.

You need at least 20 amps. But I used a 4 pole mini at 8 amps each with 12 g wire and keep it short.

The Phantom has LEDs to tell you when the battery is hooked up, no need for a lighted switch.

I have 30 flights on my Phantom and no issues. The switch makes for a better set up and less strain on board and wiring.

Using more than one pole gives redundancy.

I'd like to see your setup if you don't mind. Inside and out. Great mod

+1 on the switch; it's a great mod. Just make sure you pick one that is sturdy enough not only for the current but also to resist vibration. Definitely do not use a push-on/push-off switch -- would be a bad thing if it vibrated "off" during flight. That's one reason why the RC purists don't like switches -- best practice says eliminate as many points of failure as possible.

I've also added a switch on the other side for my VTX. It's an Immersion and it's external, but I was plugging and unplugging it with a JST connector -- so having the switch makes it very slick. (It's the 600mw model, so you really do have to keep it off until just before flight because it heats up like Chernobyl when there's no airflow.)

Being familiar with automotive quality standards in conjunction with the company's work with large 1hp and up, 12v to 440v, brushless AC and DC motors, I am using a 12/24 volt 20/40 amp automotive single pole single throw. i looked for either a dual or quad pole but couldn't find any that were readily available. I

I was wondering if by removing power from FC and or Rx from Bec would work? I wanted it for a lunch break or a "P" break only.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20