Odd thing happened this afternoon

Reaction score
I flew a beta app from Hover this afternoon. That mission went fine and I ended the program by sliding it off the screen in iOS. Then used Go App 4 to fly a normal photo mission. Again no issues.

On the 3rd flight with Go App 4 at about 3800 feet with a clear line of site, the controller appeared to have lost video and communications. (I was lucky that just prior to the flight I set the RTH to 150 meters) I attempted to gain height and move to a cleared line of sight which I could see if it worked or not. No joy

I drove over to an area where I should have been closer but still no signal. Still no luck. Press RTH a few time out of desperation. Signal still dark. But controller was beeping like it was in RTH mode.

Drove back to an area near the launch site. No Signal.
Power cycled controller No Signal.

Rebooted iPad and power cycled controller: Got signal and found it had returned home and landed with 40% battery. Took off and flew a short hop over to current location.

Logs uploaded to Healthy Drones didn't show anything odd. It had strong signal up to the point it dropped then stopped. The next log was my take off and landing back to my location.

I was preparing to go grab my P4P to scout the last known location, but it never came to that.

Haven't flown this A/C since it happened. Wondering if there is a log on the A/C itself that may have been captured. The video was recording the whole time. Funny thing in it was the camera pitched up to 30 degrees and captured an inbound A/C at 5000 or so to Sky Harbor. I was well outside class B for PHX and outside class D for KFFZ.

I'm getting to old for this ^&^%#%^#^&* :)

Hello, I have been reading a lot lately of these mission type autopilot setup going wrong, I have never tried anything other than flying normal in control of the stick. The 3800ft loose of signal is normal under certain circumstances. Next time just wait for your bird . Taking off chasing in the direction and turning off then back on , radio etc. just leave it alone and wait is my experience with lost radio signal . P4 will come back. Now using autopilot missions from a 3rd party app. I DO NOT KNOW NOTHING ABOUT. And I would be very nervous to not having full control. Maybe just try using it under your guidance for a bit and see how she does for you.

Hello, I have been reading a lot lately of these mission type autopilot setup going wrong, I have never tried anything other than flying normal in control of the stick. The 3800ft loose of signal is normal under certain circumstances. Next time just wait for your bird . Taking off chasing in the direction and turning off then back on , radio etc. just leave it alone and wait is my experience with lost radio signal . P4 will come back. Now using autopilot missions from a 3rd party app. I DO NOT KNOW NOTHING ABOUT. And I would be very nervous to not having full control. Maybe just try using it under your guidance for a bit and see how she does for you.
This wasn't an autopilot mission. This was under full manual control. I have a set of 8DB Omni directional antennas which have been good for 2 miles in the same area. It wasn't a gradual loss more like a complete drop. I am leaning towards something with the iPad app or the iPad since it looks like the RTH may have worked either automatically or by button on the controller due to the beeping. The reboot of the iPad brought it back to life. Will see if they problem pops up again.

One other thing that popped in my head was the iPad was at 50% charge when I started. Yes lower than I usually fly. The issue started when it hit I am guessing 20-25%. Wonder if maybe some iOS power saving routine kicked in and killed the USB until the reboot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fancher9-76
I flew a beta app from Hover this afternoon. That mission went fine and I ended the program by sliding it off the screen in iOS. Then used Go App 4 to fly a normal photo mission. Again no issues.

On the 3rd flight with Go App 4 at about 3800 feet with a clear line of site, the controller appeared to have lost video and communications. (I was lucky that just prior to the flight I set the RTH to 150 meters) I attempted to gain height and move to a cleared line of sight which I could see if it worked or not. No joy

I drove over to an area where I should have been closer but still no signal. Still no luck. Press RTH a few time out of desperation. Signal still dark. But controller was beeping like it was in RTH mode.

Drove back to an area near the launch site. No Signal.
Power cycled controller No Signal.

Rebooted iPad and power cycled controller: Got signal and found it had returned home and landed with 40% battery. Took off and flew a short hop over to current location.

Logs uploaded to Healthy Drones didn't show anything odd. It had strong signal up to the point it dropped then stopped. The next log was my take off and landing back to my location.

I was preparing to go grab my P4P to scout the last known location, but it never came to that.

Haven't flown this A/C since it happened. Wondering if there is a log on the A/C itself that may have been captured. The video was recording the whole time. Funny thing in it was the camera pitched up to 30 degrees and captured an inbound A/C at 5000 or so to Sky Harbor. I was well outside class B for PHX and outside class D for KFFZ.

I'm getting to old for this ^&^%#%^#^&* :)
I can't speak for you, but I wouldn't use my P4 to beta test an app. Let them beta test the app. The only thing worse than using revision one of anything is beta testing to get the software up to revision one.

Is it possible that beta app was running in the background sending commands to your bird?

Is it possible that beta app was running in the background sending commands to your bird?
I don't think so. I killed the app.

I can't speak for you, but I wouldn't use my P4 to beta test an app. Let them beta test the app. The only thing worse than using revision one of anything is beta testing to get the software up to revision one.

I am tending to agree with you. Back in the day, Microsoft would make and entry into a market and unless you countered by version 3 you were dead.

In telecom, we had a rule to never buy equipment with a serial number less than 1000.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj