Obstacle collision sensors

Reaction score
Hello. I have a phantom 3 pro and was wondering if anybody can tell me of any way to add on obstacle collision sensors to my bird. My business using my drone requires me to fly very low to rooftops and would like to put sensors on it to ovoid any suprises and future crashes. I still want to keep it looking like professional equipment, and not like a robot chicken. Any advise would be nice. Thanks.

There's nothing off-the-shelf offered for the Phantom at this time.

It's a closed eco-system and it is not easy to add additional functions.

I haven't heard of anything on the market.
The closest is Home
But they haven't produced a P3 version.
For now flying carefully is the best available.
For bigger dollars, the DJI Matrice 100 has some form of object avoidance and the rumours and leaks about a P4 mention this as well (but there's no confirmation of this yet).

I doubt sensors would spot things like aerials and wires which are likely to be typical hazards.

Agreed. Also, I would need substantial proof that it works really really well before trusting and relying control to such system myself - at least to the level I currently trust my eyes and skills when flying in these situations!

Reactions: Solar Deity
Obstacle avoidance is going to be a disaster, imo. All I can say is they better make it an option to enable and disable on any future phantom they stick it on. It will create more confusion while flying than it could ever be worth. My opinion only.

Hello. I have a phantom 3 pro and was wondering if anybody can tell me of any way to add on obstacle collision sensors to my bird. My business using my drone requires me to fly very low to rooftops and would like to put sensors on it to ovoid any suprises and future crashes. I still want to keep it looking like professional equipment, and not like a robot chicken. Any advise would be nice. Thanks.

Good luck! Don't think that kind of modification is currently feasible or even practical with the current technology in the P3.

Obstacle avoidance is going to be a disaster, imo. All I can say is they better make it an option to enable and disable on any future phantom they stick it on. It will create more confusion while flying than it could ever be worth. My opinion only.
Interesting thoughts. I would think that a nearly perfect system is not possible with the current state of technology. Development of computer vision systems onboard augmented by artificial intelligence processing systems and LIDAR sensing systems would be enablers; I think this sort of technology in consumer systems is 10+ years away at an affordable level.

There's nothing off-the-shelf offered for the Phantom at this time.

It's a closed eco-system and it is not easy to add additional functions.
What we are looking for is an echo-system.....

:p

:D

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4