Obstacle Avoidance

Reaction score
With the advent of multiple infared and ultrasonic sensors on palm sized quads like the Walkera Infra I wonder will the next Phantom embrace this technology.

I must admit Walkera are producing some innovative stuff like the Tali too. It will be interesting to see how it performs in consumer hands when it is released. Banggood already have it listed. On my watch this space list.

Ive weighed up the Tali, to me its a step backwards from the phantom. I've thought about sensors for obstacle avoidance and how to make them work when I realised how much use would they be to me? I cant remember the last time I crashed. I suppose they would be useful for flying through a load of trees but that doesnt really appeal to me. I'm sure they would be great for new flyers but I cant see how they'd be of use to me personally.

For new flyers who have the knack of crashing I can see the point. I too have never crashed. For really close flying either for closeups or inspection purposes it could save an ase ot two.

Im still weighing the Tali up. Having redundancy in 2 more motors is a plus. Stability in video may be better being a hex, but only time will prove that. The 12 channel controller compared to the phantoms 7 is a potential a plus for those wanting to add functionality, although the retracts would be using one of those. The 5" screen with no sun shield is a negative compared to my Black Pearl. Retracts is nice, so no leg in view with the wide setting which currently is a pain in the butt with my P2 (not a problem now with my 5.4mm flat lens) that has ruined many a good shot. I also like the flexibility of choice in the lever/dial potentiometer mechanism gimbel tilt. The Phantoms is just plain micky mouse. Overall price for price it seems to be better too.

Time will tell more once its in the hands of real users of course.

Funniest thing is that the two self-piloting/auto-follow drones in Kickstarter dont have anykind of obstacle avoidance system. Would you let your Phantom to follow you automatically without anykind of awareness of its surroundings... I surely wouldnt.

I lost my first phantom using RTH, so I'm not a huge fan of it, but obstacle avoidance system would be helpful for a RTH.

There is a third party product out there ready to go into beta testing here in the states. It's a legitimate group with some well credentialed people behind the idea. Many months back they were soliciting testers for the product and I signed up. Back in June, I received a follow up needing my contact information, but have not heard anything since. Here's the link to the site.

http://www.panoptesuav.com/

[youtube]http://youtu.be/A3FyJZbtSBk[/youtube]

arduimu
altitude hold, obstacle avoidance and automatic glight pattern.

an interesting diy uav.

Reactions: theSchwartz75

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers