Nvidia Shield K1 or Galaxy Tab S2

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm about to order a P3A and I'm going to buy a tablet to run the DJI Go app. I think I've narrowed it down to two choices and I would like to hear opinions of folks who have used both tablets to fly. I'm leaning toward the Tab S2 9.7" because of its large screen but I have read numerous comments about the Shield and most have been very positive. I'm aware of the Shield's phenomenal processing power and many say it is the best Android tablet to use (I prefer to stay away from Apple products). The only things I've found so far that I don't like about the Shield are screen size (I would prefer a 10" tablet), and reviews about sunglare issues. The Galaxy Tab S2 9.7" is more expensive but I'm willing to pay for a larger, brighter screen as long as I don't have to forfeit "too much" of the processing power I would get with the Shield. Galaxy Tab S2 has a 1.9 Ghz processor (I believe) and is an Octacore tablet so it doesn't seem that far off from the Shield in terms of processing power, though I could be wrong. However it has a larger screen and higher screen resolution. I've also read where some were saying that it is the brightest tablet they've seen run Dji Go. What are your experiences with these two tablets regarding processing power and screen resolution/ sunglare issues? By the way, I understand there will always be some lag time but I don't want to deal with app crashes and freezing.

The main things I like about shield is the processing power and screen size. I feel it's just the right balance between galaxy s6 too small and s2 which feels too large. Also shields feels lag free and it does not have Samsung bloat ware.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Fusionvi, I usually root my android devices and remove bloatware. I don't mind lag under half a second but I really don't want to deal with crashes and freezes. Does the Tab S2 crash/freeze alot? Also, does the size get in the way of the sticks/other controls on the Tx?

Hello all. I'm about to order a P3A and I'm going to buy a tablet to run the DJI Go app.

Rob,

You're doing your homework! I've got at least 8-10 Tablets that I've flown with and you picked the two that I believe are the best. I use iOS devices everyday but prefer Android for flying. I like the Shield the best but I haven't used my S2 as much. The S2 is definitely brighter, the Shield doesn't do as well in the sun. The Shield is a gaming device so there is no lag for me, plus it has the HDMI out and the built-in screen recording (I use it on every flight). I have the 8" S2, I wrestled with getting the bigger screen but I just didn't feel it was necessary. I'm very happy with both pads but when I reach for a pad to fly with it's usually the Shield.

Jerry

Reactions: robbie4200
Thanks Jerry. Great info. The times you have used the Tab S2, did you experience any crashes or freezes? Also, how bad was the lag?

Thanks Jerry. Great info. The times you have used the Tab S2, did you experience any crashes or freezes? Also, how bad was the lag?

Rob,

No lag, no crashes...yet. I have not used it as much as the Shield. The Shield is tried and true and I've never had an issue with it, therefore, when I'm heading out to fly, I grab it first.

Jerry

Screen performance in sunlight is the most important of all, See if you can find a shop that will let you try the outside on a nice day - just watch a Youtube video of drone footage!

Reactions: Jtrjr
I have a shield K1 and love it. I admit it is very hard to see in the bright sun but I usually stay just inside my garage and can see it fine. The plus being the HDMI port as well as the on screen recording. I record every single flight and it helps being a newbie. But I think it is a great tablet, especially for the price.

One question for those Android folks is when I want to start recording I swipe down and then get to share and start the screen recoding that way. Do the same for stopping it. Is there a way I can get that on my screen so I don't have to keep swiping down?

Thanks

Reactions: Bidda
Aye I'll also chime in and say I love my Nvidia Shield. Seems like the perfect size for me and has excellent performance. I bought an anti-glare screen protector with it and its does wonders for visibility. Add a sunshade and you'll be good to go in any condition.

Used to use a Galaxy S4, which worked fine but decided the screen was a tad small after a few weeks of flying. Started looking around for a tablet and ended up doing a crap load of research. Wanted something affordable, powerful, and not overly large to the point of unwieldy (IMO) being mounted on the TX, while still giving me plenty of visibility for FPV flying. The Shield fit the bill!

I'm still torn. You guys make the Shield sound so appealing, but I tend to agree with Wibble in that screen brightness is key for me. As far as size goes, as I said previously I think I would prefer the 9.7" screen, but I'm curious as to whether or not it would get in the way of the sticks and other controls on the Tx. I plan on purchasing the DJI shoulder harness as well. Maybe that will help with the weight if I decide to go the Tab S2 route

Maybe that will help with the weight if I decide to go the Tab S2 route

Rob,

I don't think you can go wrong with either one. I also don't think the larger tablet will get in the way. IMO, you picked the best two Android devices, you should be good to go with either one.

Jerry

Last edited:
the choice is up to you.
pick the one that will sute you best and than go buy it.
i haqve the shield.
works great.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl