Nvidia Shield K1 GPS Maps

Reaction score
I'm getting my dad a P3S and an Nvidia Shield K1 for Christmas. He's old. Doesn't have a computer or internet. He also lives 3 hours drive away from me. I will have to set everything up for him, but after I get the DJI Go app installed for him he should be good to go right? Since the Nvidia Shield K1 has a built in GPS he will be able to see maps within the Go app without an internet connection, correct?

Last edited:
I'm getting my dad a P3S and an Nvidia Shield K1 for Christmas. He's old. Doesn't have a computer or internet. He also lives 3 hours drive away from me. I will have to set everything up for him, but after I get the DJI Go app installed for him he should be go to go right? Since the Nvidia Shield K1 has a built in GPS he will get maps without an internet connection, correct?
I run that set-up, the shield has GPS so his location marker will be display(I use litchi so it's a blue dot where device is on map) forgot how go shows where pilot is but basically his location will be on map and you need to cache the maps in using wifi, I usually go to town when a new map needa to be cached or tether the tab to my phone that has data to cache a map. I don't have internet service at my home I live out in the boonies lol so you'll need to cache maps onto the shield, if you don't the square where the map is will be a white square, it'll show the flight path, ac location and heading etc it'll just be overlayed on a white square rather than overlayed on a map. Good choice for a gift BTW p3s and nvidia shield k1 is what I normally run and it's a sweet combo

I run that set-up, the shield has GPS so his location marker will be display(I use litchi so it's a blue dot where device is on map) forgot how go shows where pilot is but basically his location will be on map and you need to cache the maps in using wifi, I usually go to town when a new map needa to be cached or tether the tab to my phone that has data to cache a map. I don't have internet service at my home I live out in the boonies lol so you'll need to cache maps onto the shield, if you don't the square where the map is will be a white square, it'll show the flight path, ac location and heading etc it'll just be overlayed on a white square rather than overlayed on a map. Good choice for a gift BTW p3s and nvidia shield k1 is what I normally run and it's a sweet combo
Thank you so much! Just the answer I was looking for. So, it sounds like worse case scenario is if he travels to a location where he does not have a map cached he will still be able to follow the flight path to get back home (or RTH function) if he loses track of the P3S, correct?

One more question, how much map caching can you do? Is it limited to so many miles of terrain? And, when you cache a new area, does it "forget" the previous area?

Thank you so much! Just the answer I was looking for. So, it sounds like worse case scenario is if he travels to a location where he does not have a map cached he will still be able to follow the flight path to get back home (or RTH function) if he loses track of the P3S, correct?

One more question, how much map caching can you do? Is it limited to so many miles of terrain? And, when you cache a new area, does it "forget" the previous area?
Yes if he travels to an area without mapped cached he'll still have the flight path showing as he's flying, the birds heading relative to home point, etc it's the same as if the map was cached and showing it's just instead of that info being overlayed over a map it's overlayed over a white square. Tbh I'm not sure how big of an area can be cached and if he caches a new area if old goes away. I live in a small town in new mexico and we have property in another smaller town 60 miles away and right in between the two is the Very Large Array radio telescopes well I have my normal flying area cached and yesterday I cached in the area where the VLA is at cuz gonna take a trip to the other property in a couple days so I've been programming in a litchi waypoint mission to fly near the VLA so I can open the map area here where I'm at and also 40 miles away at the VLA to work on the mission, all this with no internet connection on the tab, now there is no map area cached between the two areas so finding the VLA area I cached was a little tricky lol but when I got close enough moving screen around the cached parts popped up, hope that helps

Oh and another thing I just thought of that you would probably want to do for him is the device mount. The standard comes with a phone mount and you can't Mount the shield to it, that'll put a hiccup in flying that set-up, I did the mount and mod in this thread I'll link to and it worked out beautifully, tab is very secure and the mod is pretty easy, I had no issues doing it to the rc.

HOW TO: Install tablet mount on a Phantom 3 Standard remote controller

Oh and another thing I just thought of that you would probably want to do for him is the device mount. The standard comes with a phone mount and you can't Mount the shield to it, that'll put a hiccup in flying that set-up, I did the mount and mod in this thread I'll link to and it worked out beautifully, tab is very secure and the mod is pretty easy, I had no issues doing it to the rc.

HOW TO: Install tablet mount on a Phantom 3 Standard remote controller
Yes. Thank you so much for the info! Just what I needed to know. As for the tablet mount, I already have to inspire tablet mount in order. Thanks tho.

Original question answered, but anyone willing to answer another question to help out me and my dad would be appreciated. I should probably just start a new thread but here goes anyway... I've been reading up about the P3S firmware. Seems like there are some problems with range and signal loss with some firmware versions and some Go app versions. I think I've read enough about upgrade or downgrade process. That should be easy enough. Is there a consensus on the most reliable firmware and most reliable version of the Go app?

Yes. Thank you so much for the info! Just what I needed to know. As for the tablet mount, I already have to inspire tablet mount in order. Thanks tho.

Original question answered, but anyone willing to answer another question to help out me and my dad would be appreciated. I should probably just start a new thread but here goes anyway... I've been reading up about the P3S firmware. Seems like there are some problems with range and signal loss with some firmware versions and some Go app versions. I think I've read enough about upgrade or downgrade process. That should be easy enough. Is there a consensus on the most reliable firmware and most reliable version of the Go app?
I'm getting my dad a P3S and an Nvidia Shield K1 for Christmas. He's old. Doesn't have a computer or internet. He also lives 3 hours drive away from me. I will have to set everything up for him, but after I get the DJI Go app installed for him he should be good to go right? Since the Nvidia Shield K1 has a built in GPS he will be able to see maps within the Go app without an internet connection, correct?
Good advice here already but I also use the K1. If I go to a new area I use my Iphone as a wifi hotspot and cache maps for the Shield that way before flying. Don't know if your dad has a mobile though?

What kind of range were you hoping to get or more specifically do you think your dad would want? I can get a mile on my standard no problem, there are some factors here, 1 I live out in the boonies so not much signal congestion as would be encountered in a bigger city with alot of interference 2 I mainly use litchi and for some reason get better range. When I use dji go the video downlink gets weak and then drops at 2-3k feet while in litchi the video downlink stays steady out to over a mile, rc link stays steady in both apps but video downlink is messed up in go for me, it wasn't like that on firmware 1.6.8 but I upgraded to 1.7.9 and that's when I started running into video downlink issues while using go but litchi instructions wanted current firmware so that's why I switched but I like 1.6.8 for dji go it worked well for me. I usually stay within a half mile of me anyway so it's not a big deal for me at least to have crazy long distance lol I like maintaining Los but that's my preference not putting down those that like flying far or anything lol and I'm completely happy with a mile+ when I want to go far.

Good advice here already but I also use the K1. If I go to a new area I use my Iphone as a wifi hotspot and cache maps for the Shield that way before flying. Don't know if your dad has a mobile though?
Yeah. He has a pre-pay flip phone. Lol. I'd get him a smart phone but I think he would struggle with the tech and I don't live close enough to teach him.... so now you guys are probably starting to wonder if he can handle flying a quad. Well, he took a flight class almost 50 years ago and learned to fly a small Cessna. He had several solo flights but it didn't go much further. He often says he wished he would have pursued that and would have loved to have been a pilot. Now at 78 years old, his wife (my mom) of 55 years passed two years ago. He is still in good health. He's spends hours a day doing yard work. He's bored. He"s also fascinated with my new Mavic. I'm hoping to help him get into the hobby a little bit but he has never embrassed technology so it could be a struggle. I first bought an UpAir One Quadcopter. I thought it would be a good starter for him because it has a 7" display built into the RC (I wouldn't have to teach him how to use a tablet) but the UpAir would not hold its position... drifted all over the place so I'm returning it. I figured the Phantom 3S will at least hold its position and give him time to think when learning to use sticks on the RC....

Reactions: GhostRdrTat
My dad refuses to get passed the flip phone stage too lol, sorry to gear about your mom :( it seems like the p3s will make a perfect gift he's gonna love it

Yeah. He has a pre-pay flip phone. Lol. I'd get him a smart phone but I think he would struggle with the tech and I don't live close enough to teach him.... so now you guys are probably starting to wonder if he can handle flying a quad. Well, he took a flight class almost 50 years ago and learned to fly a small Cessna. He had several solo flights but it didn't go much further. He often says he wished he would have pursued that and would have loved to have been a pilot. Now at 78 years old, his wife (my mom) of 55 years passed two years ago. He is still in good health. He's spends hours a day doing yard work. He's bored. He"s also fascinated with my new Mavic. I'm hoping to help him get into the hobby a little bit but he has never embrassed technology so it could be a struggle. I first bought an UpAir One Quadcopter. I thought it would be a good starter for him because it has a 7" display built into the RC (I wouldn't have to teach him how to use a tablet) but the UpAir would not hold its position... drifted all over the place so I'm returning it. I figured the Phantom 3S will at least hold its position and give him time to think when learning to use sticks on the RC....

a year and a half ago I sold my P1 on craigs list
I was surprisded a 78 year old on an oxy tank got out of the car...
I asked what he was going to do with it--gift etc.
He said: I want it so he could do something fun with out being able move around much
he emailed a few times he had a ball at his farm and even took to florida etc.

Your Dad will love it
he will probably be teaching you in a few months..lol

My dad refuses to get passed the flip phone stage too lol, sorry to gear about your mom :( it seems like the p3s will make a perfect gift he's gonna love it
Thanks for the kind words!
a year and a half ago I sold my P1 on craigs list
I was surprisded a 78 year old on an oxy tank got out of the car...
I asked what he was going to do with it--gift etc.
He said: I want it so he could do something fun with out being able move around much
he emailed a few times he had a ball at his farm and even took to florida etc.

Your Dad will love it
he will probably be teaching you in a few months..lol
That's really encouraging! Thanks!

I have a K1 for my P3A, & I'd like to cache some local maps & use it when I'm out quadding in the boonies. I can't find any manual for it, so I'll ask: Is this possible to do? Will it show my location on the map? Anyone using it for travel? Oh, and is there such a thing as a K1 manual??

I have a K1 for my P3A, & I'd like to cache some local maps & use it when I'm out quadding in the boonies. I can't find any manual for it, so I'll ask: Is this possible to do? Will it show my location on the map? Anyone using it for travel? Oh, and is there such a thing as a K1 manual??
Hello fellow BC'er, see this thread about the map caching process: download maps offline

Last edited:
Oh and another thing I just thought of that you would probably want to do for him is the device mount. The standard comes with a phone mount and you can't Mount the shield to it, that'll put a hiccup in flying that set-up, I did the mount and mod in this thread I'll link to and it worked out beautifully, tab is very secure and the mod is pretty easy

I wouldn't bother with that, for a tenner you can get a mount that replaces the stock mount that just screws onto the bar!

The inspire mounts do look cool though :D

I too am looking for a K1 manual to print or use offline on the tab,,,no such luck! I can only find Nvidia online web pages- even the link from the tab is incorrect too. Woe is me (us?)

Just wondering what do you need a manual for?

It's android OS, so android rules apply for operation.

The data specs can just be googled.

One button turns it on and off, another to turn the volume up.

Pretty small manual if there was one! :D

Just because I don't 'do' android yet, but will learn....some manufacturers add little twists to their android os so I want to know how to install and delete apps, kill processes and clean out any junk. I also do not like the omnipresent google influence, but have accepted I will have to tolerate it. For now. You are right it is only a small tab and basic hardware controls- I suppose my concerns are generic os related, when it boils down to it. I would still like a hard copy manual to have open rather than having multiple web pages open, and commit to memory that way works better for this particular old fart, I think. Onwards, ever onwards!!

What? No remote, you have to touch it....... No fat american will do that much work.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.